Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Teena Ann, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Teena Ann

Teena Ann Registered Users

Hi Pippa, :)
    I hope I made d ryt decision joining ur forum along
    wid other members .I have a black lab named Cooper he is ten weeks old I'm really happy abt it but also equally scared as this is the first tym I'm having a pup.I'm hoping tat ur forum will help my pup to grow into a obedient nd loyal dog.thanks for having me

Attached Files:

2. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Hello

Hi Teena Ann and welcome to the forum. ;D

I have split your introduction from Steve's post and have given you your own thread. :)

Hope you are having lots of fun with your new puppy. ;D

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello to you and Cooper! Welcome to the forum.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Teena Ann,

Cooper is a great name for your puppy!my yellow Lab is nearly 9 months old and he is called Dexter.we live in Dubai.you have made a very good decision joining here,the other members are so helpful and there are a few of us that are enjoying owning a lab for the first time.you will get lots of help and advice with any issues you have and a lot of general support which is sometimes all you need when you might be trying to get something right and don't feel you can get there!
    I look forward to hearing about yours and Coopers progress,enjoy him,he will grow up so fast!
    Best wishes
    Angela x

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum! :D I bet that Cooper is a handsome lad. Although at 10 weeks, 'cute and gorgeous' is probably a better description :)

It can be pretty daunting, having a new puppy, and the learning curve can feel steep. But, after a while, you'll wonder how you ever did without a dog :)

6. Teena Ann

Thank u one nd all for welcoming me to the forum I would lyk some help here my pup I feel is greedy before I place d good on the ground it jumps nd once I place it I could hear d way it kicks d bowl nd after eating it barks at d bowl wat should I do to stop it

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Teena Ann,

Teena Ann,he's probably not greedy....he's just a lab ;D they love food!and he's only a baby so I bet he is really excited that its coming!and then maybe he barks with sadness because it is all gone :'(

I cant help you but there will be a solution,and somebody with more experience will answer you.the reason I can say that you can work on this is that When Dexter arrived,his breeders told us that he was trained to sit and wait for his food.he sits by my feet while I prepare his meal and then follows me to where I put it down ,he is then in sit with his eyes locked on me until I tell him to go on....so it can be done,I have just been really lucky. I have never left him waiting longer than a minute because i feel sorry for him waiting but it is a good obedience excercise and i guess it would be interesting to see how long he would wait,i couldn't do it to him thou!when its down the meal is then eaten in less than a minute,he wolfs it!one thing I can caution you about is don't expect quick fixes for anything,labs are lovely intelligent dogs and they get some things quickly and other things take longer.read as much as you can find on the subjects you want to work on and also as much as you can find on dog psychology ,that is really helping me together with what everyone tells me on here.
    Good luck

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well, Labradors love their food like no other breed, I would say :) Enthusiasm towards the dinner bowl is pretty normal and Greed is their middle name. But it certainly is a good idea to teach him some food manners.

The idea with training anything is to expect and ask for little tiny steps - just little, gradual improvements. Next time dinner is ready, you could hold his food bowl and wait until he sits. As soon as he sits, say 'yes' and put the food on the ground. It may take quite some time before he sits - maybe many minutes - so be patient :) If you need to, you can have someone helping by holding his collar gently (not forcing him to the ground, just stopping him rushing the bowl). Next time, and the time after that, do the same thing. The time after that, though, maybe expect him to keep his bottom on the ground for a millisecond longer. The idea is to teach him that he will only get his dinner if he sits. Gradually increase the expected 'sit' time. Eventually you will be able to work up to having him sit until the bowl is on the ground.

It'd also be a good idea to check out some of the articles on clicker training on The Labrador Site - here is a page that has some links to a bunch of very helpful articles :) http://www.thelabradorsite.com/?cat=55

9. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Teena Ann, glad you found your way to the forum. I hope you will find the support helpful. Can you tell us whereabouts in the world you are located?

Labrador puppies are all greedy. :D He is obviously a hungry little chap.

Do you have any more photos you can post. He looks as though he might be a little underweight, but it is difficult to tell from one photo.

Pippa

10. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

hi teena ann and cooper, big welcome to the site, i don't seem to be able to find your photo,........ so happy you have joined this site the advice is brilliant, everyone is very friendly :) mine is a black lab jasper 6 month :)

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Welcome guys,
    Great forum. More pictures always welcome ;D

Jacqui and 3 year old Lilly, black lab girl :)

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Maybe Cooper is very hungry, how many times a day do you feed him and how much? Otherwise, feeding time is a great time for training; have a look at the Labrador Site and you will get lots of ideas.

Stacia

13. Teena Ann

Hey guys thank u so much for ur ideas I try to make him sit he sits oly for a few secs say .5 secs once I'm putting down d bowl he gets up but I'm goin to try d methods u guys suggested hope it helps nd one more thing he hides under d sofa wen he comes inside wen I call he comes but wen I try to pat him he start to bite wat is d reason should I start training wen he
    is 3 months old

14. Teena Ann

Hi Pippa,
    Glad u replied even I had a doubt tat he is underweight he was vaccinated a few days back my bet neva tld anything abt d weight I live in Chennai which is in tamilnadu some say tat my dog is not a Labrador nd its a cross I'll send u some pics could u tell me if he is a lab bcoz he has brown coat near his hip area but his head legs nd other parts are black I'm worried :(

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Don't worry Teena, even if he isn't a full-bred lab that's not important - what matters is that you are happy with him. Just be calm and kind with him, the biting is probably just play. Just turn away and say 'no' when he bites at you, all puppies do this and they grow out of it. Training starts now, but very gently, remember he is just a baby... :D

16. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Hi Teena from Lisa and 9 month old Simba. I am just new here too but have found lots of encouragement and help from all the other people (and their dogs!) here. Take the training slowly with your puppy and enjoy him. You sound quite worried about a lot of things, but the things you describe seem to me to be normal puppy behaviour. Dogs have to grow up just like people, you can't expect a young pup to be fully behaved in all ways. I'm sure you and Cooper will do fine.

17. Teena Ann

Hey Karen,
    Can u tell me hw to post pics of my pup here nd y does he bark at me even if I give him d his toy to chew I'm so worried if he doesn't listen to me :(he barks if I tell him a command

18. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Teena,

Your puppy does not respond to commands because he doesn't know what they mean. You need to teach him slowly over the next few months.

Here are some puppy training articles

Pick one skill like 'sit' or 'come' and start giving him daily lessons. Just a few minutes at a time to begin with. If you can fit in three lessons a day, that will help him to learn more quickly.

You need to teach him using food rewards so you will need some treats, or use part of his daily food allowance.

Decide what you are going to teach first, and keep a notebook of your progress. That way you'll be able to see how he improves as you go along.

The barking is normal puppy play. It is caused by frustration and excitement. You need to ignore it, and reward him when he is quiet.

Let us know how you get on

Pippa

19. Teena Ann

Hey Lisa nd Simba,
    Welcome to d forum hope wat ur telling is true but d point is I have not started d training yet bcoz he doesn't even luk at me wen I'm telling so I stop d training he is so cute overexcited nd I Don feel lyk hurting or overlooking him :)

20. Teena Ann

I wanna post pics of my pup pls help me