Hip Dysplasia

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Shell, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Hip Dysplasia

Shell, has Willow had her surgery? You've been on my mind..

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Looks that way to me Karen. The numbers for those born 2006 - 2010 seem to be included in the stats on the left as they are "all data" which would mean if you split that population out you would probably have even worse numbers on the left.

Whilst it's come down a couple/few percent it's still around 8 in 100 is still quite a risk to take on :-\

And as usual stats just produce more questions in my mind, the ones that are currently fizzing round are:

What constitutes dysplastic and how does the 8% distribute across the range of severities? I wonder how the treatments shape up across that population.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

A different cut of the data is here: http://www.offa.org/stats_hip.html?view=2

with the all data split into years, it also gives the sample size.

So the latest is a 25% chance of a dog with excellent hips, and 8% chance of a dog with dysplastic hips. I assume the rest is between excellent and some definition of dysplastic, which we don't know (it might not be difficult to find out though) but if that definition is "serious" I have to say, I don't think they are great odds to take - I think I would feel better about those odds if I didn't have a dog that needs intensive, expensive, care and living through the stress that has put on me and my family though. Given the impact, 8% feels high...

The results for some other breeds are truly appalling.

4. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

If you have a look at the drop down menu on the left, you can also find the stats for elbows. These are also broken down into severity... Labs appear higher up this list :(

Considering their ranking then in the hip dysplasia list, it actually means that Labs have good hip health in relation to many other breeds - but being such a popular breed, that equates to a high number of cases seen by vets? Yes, the figures for some other breeds make appalling reading.
    Clare

5. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

... except this ranking could well still be skewed by the fact that it is only those dogs who have been presented for evaluation, possibly by concerned owners who suspect there might be a problem already or by responsible breeders who are getting the necessary checks prior to breeding??
    Clare

6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Looks like whippets might be a good bet. For hips, at least. But I am sure they have other problems.

7. Morwenstow

Morwenstow Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=3890.msg51018#msg51018 date=1391092324]
    Interesting. Thanks for looking that up, Roger. If I am interpreting the list correctly, it means that labrador retrievers come about halfway down the list, that the percentage of labs in the 'excellent' range has increased, while the percentage of labs with dysplasia has decreased… right?
    [/quote]

I have had an interesting day and am much better informed! I have been through Benson's file and found the BVA statistics for Hip Dysplasia for 2010 which I had forgotten I had! I have also been back to the BVA and they are sending me the latest statistics. Once I receive these I will publish both on the forum which will allow you to make a comparison.

Roger

8. bbrown

Thank you Roger :)

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=3890.msg51030#msg51030 date=1391095472]
    Looks like whippets might be a good bet. For hips, at least. But I am sure they have other problems.
    [/quote]

Well, I won't be buying a bulldog, that's for sure. Not that I was minded to anyway...

10. Morwenstow

More information to add to the confusion! I have had a lengthy discussion, this morning with my vet who tells me that they do not keep statistics (surprising) but confirmed elbow dysplasia was by far the biggest problem as she referred at least 1 dog a month for surgery and there are 6 vets in the practice! The reason she gave for the decline in hip dysplasia was the success of the screening process which has been running longer for hips, owners are more aware of the problem and breeders are acting responsibly!!

I tackled the BVA again on the question of the lack of statistics for elbow dysplasia and the only reason they could give me was there was no need for a Breed Mean Score since their advice was, not to breed from dogs with an elbow score greater than 0. I am not sure I understand the rationale of that statement, otherwise if that is the case how do you monitor progress of the scheme? Of course the scheme only applies to pedigree dogs and how the problem is tackled for cross breeds, is anyone's guess!

Roger

11. bbrown

Well if people are screening their dogs to ascertain elbow scores in order to breed or diagnosis in order to treat why wouldn't an organisation that keeps stats on hips not also keep stats on elbows....a bizarre response :-\

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

13. Shell

Shell Registered Users

Sorry folks Willow's xrays were emailed of to this guy in Italy who (on initial assessment looking at them by phone!) felt that she wasn't a good candidate for surgery because the 'lip' bit of the pelvic socket was not long enough to keep a secure attachment after surgery but he wanted to have a proper look (on his larger computer this time) & give a proper assessment. So surgery got postponed at that time.

The vet finally got back to me on Friday to say that in fact it isn't that the 'lip' isn't long enough but that it has started to wear away already. SO 2 choices, have the surgery (we are running out of time as willow turns 8 mths next week & he doesn't usually do it after that) & give her a possible 70% chance of improvement or we do nothing and although the pain will ease by the time she is fully grown at 18-24 mths she will be crippled by arthritis!!

Obviously no choice really and miss willow went in today for surgery tomorrow morning :'( I know it's best for her but like Lauren said about Penny she will not know why I've left her tonight & she will wake up in pain tomorrow without me. I am dreading the post-op care too, I am borrowing a crate for her to rest and I will work from home as much as I can over the next few weeks but at least she can go into the crate if I have to go in for a couple of hours.

I took her & Jack down to the beach on sat - we haven't been able to get out since before Christmas due to her being on meds & rest etc and she was ecstatic to be back down - given that we had our walk there every morning since I got her 4 mths ago and she won't be able to get back done for at least another 4-6 weeks. It was great to see her but unfortunately it was only for 20 mins along the sand & not over the dunes where they chase rabbits, but she was in agony that evening. How can I not give her a 70% chance, at this stage I really dont care what it costs.

She should be home at the weekend, will update with how I get on with being her nurse & trying to keep her calm & quiet around jack - though I'd say he'll be grateful for the rest lol. If she doesn't use the crate he will probably use it to hide from her!

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You poor things and poor little Willow. I will be thinking about you all, really you had no choice but to opto for the surgery so don't feel guildy, before you know it Willow will be bouncing around the beach in no time. If you get a chance please let us know how she is after surgery. Everything crossed here for Willow. Lots of hugs from me and licks from Hattie & Charlie xxx

15. Alice

Alice Registered Users

Keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow and hoping Willow will be a good patient!
    Alice

16. Morwenstow

Best wishes for a successful outcome. It reinforces for me what a dreadful condition dysplasia is for animals with a shorten lifespan and the sooner we find a way to eliminate this disease the better.

Roger

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Best, and warmest, wishes to you Shell. I can't sy how much I hope this all works out for you and your pup.

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thinking of Willow tonight, and sending all good wishes for the operation tomorrow.

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh my......
    Thinking of you all tonight. Poor Willow.
    You are doing your very best for her and I am sure she will be pampered once she is home with you. Before long she will be chasing those rabbits.
    Let us know how it goes.....keep us updated xxx

20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Thinking of you and a Willow. I hope her surgery goes well and I am sure she will be happy to see you tomorrow. Big hugs to you both xoxo