House Training Early Days

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Flynn, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Flynn

Flynn Registered Users

Mmmmm not sure. Kid goes to bed way before pup does... Crate is in the kitchen... Mmmm

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Anyway, have a think about it. I can totally understand not wanting to have a dog in a bedroom (though my dog sleeps on our bed....). And it might just be impractical. It could possibly solve your problem though.

3. Flynn

Flynn Registered Users

thank you. Yes we are thinking about it but not sure. Doggie not allowed to climb stairs yet so would have to carry him up after kids’ bedtime and down again in the morning. hm. dunno. do I want to encourage ‘velcro behaviour’...

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Have you tried popping a worn T-shirt in the crate with Flynn at bedtime, maybe leaving a radio on very low for company?
    It is pretty disheartening, isn't it?
    I thankfully didn't have barking, just whining, and my kids weren't so young (and no neighbours that would have heard) so I just went cold turkey. So not really much help.

5. Flynn

Flynn Registered Users

Thank you for adding your thoughts! Yes am thinking of going cold turkey as he is now getting used to his daily routine of howling, weeing, howling, getting up and being let out (no wee as he has already done it on his crate), sleeping next to me dozing on the sofa....
    Good idea about the shirt! Might wel try that! Something old as he'll chew it.... Thanks!

drjs@5 likes this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

How is he getting on now? I'm just catching up as I've been away, so sorry for not replying sooner.

I think my method would have been to re-introduce an earlier wee outing, maybe at 3am or something, when he's still sleepy. Take him out without a word, carrying him from and back to his crate, making yourself as boring as possible. Then get up again at 6:30 or whatever your normal morning time is. You'd then know, assuming he had a pee at 3am, that he didn't need to go, and you could gradually take that time back by 15 minutes a night. I think it might help with him pre-empting the "getting up" time.

At around this age, Shadow started barking every morning at around 5:30, we think because he wanted company. We found if we went out to him and then back to be, he would settle down, but it didn't stop him barking in the first place. I did what I mentioned and it sorted it out pretty quickly.

7. Flynn

Flynn Registered Users

Hi, thanks for being interested! Well, we thought of going cold turkey. So we’ve been listening to 2+hours of howling and barking. God, its exhausting! He has been waking around 4am sometimes with a wet bed so I am now setting the alarm at 4, go downstairs, he’s usually asleep and I let him out for a wee. Straight back in his crate again. He then wakes up at 5 and starts the howling but last night he left it till 6. Will try this for a few more nights until he gets when we get up in the morning. But then we have the 4am habit to get rid off. I suppose I’ll move it later and later, like we did in the early days and see how we get on.... For now there is still an awful lot of barking and howling but after a 4am wee, at least I know he just wants us and he doesn’t need to go out. (at 7am he is still dry)