How did you choose your puppies name?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Darben1976, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Darben1976

Darben1976 Registered Users

Good evening all

Hoping to get a puppy in next few months so thinking of names (as you do) and wondered how you all chose your pups name? Did their colour influence your choice? A couple of names on my list are colour linked and I do have some names I'd only call a certain colour. But then I think maybe a name will come to me when I get him or her (not sure what colour or sex as yet but thinking 1st choice would be chocolate girl but that might change next week!).

Thought by posting this I'd get some ideas too and make my list ever longer! So desperate to get a pup but have to wait until end of month before I know if I'm having a big surgery and if so I'll time it for after recovery when I'll be at home for a few months otherwise I can get one sooner.

Thanks

2. Darben1976

Darben1976 Registered Users

I'll start with dog in the photo which is my parents dog her name is Lottie. They got her age 15mths she was advertised in local paper as owner was pregnant and working full time so couldn't give her the time she needed. So they decided to stick with same name as she responded to it and they liked it

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Willow was named after a large willow tree at the breeder's that she was constantly playing under. Whenever there was a black puppy that couldn't be found, it was her, and she'd be there!

We chose Shadow simply because we liked the name. At separate times, both my husband and I have ridden and cared for white horses called Shadow, so it doesn't seem strange to us that he's the yellow one! He follows us around everywhere, so has certainly lived up to his name :)

Samantha Jones and Naya like this.
  4. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I chose Cooper but have no idea why.....it just fits. I think you will find the same thing happens to you. Good luck! Oh,and sorry about surgery....

5. Sarah B

Sarah B Registered Users

We thought Loki would be a good name for our puppy as our son is into the Marvel characters and Loki is one of them (albeit a 'baddie')
    It also means 'god of destruction' or 'god of mischief' which is obviously fitting for a labrador!

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My favorite beloved grey pony was called shadow He was one in a million too :heart:

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Fun thread! Love hearing how all the pups got their names!

I'm a sucker for Celtic/Irish/Scottish names so mine have all been variations on that theme.
    • Duncan - just sounded like a big hunky name for a big hunky dog (and..ahem... I may have been a fan of a TV show at the time with a big hunky Scottish character named Duncan).
    • Tavish (my rescue devil-dog toy poodle) - thought it sounded a little naughty and scruffy, which fit him
    • Brogan - as a rescue, Brogan came to me with the name "Stefan", which I hated. But for a month I had no idea what to call him, but to me his ears looked too small, like little pig ears, so I started calling him Piglet (I love Winnie the Pooh so this is not really the insult it may appear). Finally I was reading a book where the main character was Irish and his name was "Rogan" but that just sounded too serious so I added the "B". Brogan's an Irish surname.

I'm already thinking of names for the next one because...well, hard to resist. Favourite girl is Saoirse (SEER-sha), lots of fave boy names (Ciaran, Eoin, Ronan, Declan).

This time around I actually have a good friend in Ireland who has promised to help me with something authentic and not (and I quote) "total s@*te made-up names that Americans think sound Irish." He's the one who came up with Soairse, guaranteed to confuse the heck out of any non-Irish person trying to spell or pronounce it! :devil:

The funny thing about names is that the first week or so they all seem kind of awkward but than after a month or so you can't think how anything else could possibly fit. So anything you pick will end up being perfect for you!

drjs@5 likes this.
  8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Highlander?

Lilly's name was one of a very long list drawn up by my daughter Sophie over several years of aspirational dog owning.
    Lilly was the one girl's name the whole family agreed on. Simples.

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Douglas =dark stream still dark waters ran deep. Midge =small and very annoying . Rory= little red warrior . I picked them when I first met them. I have a few then when I see them for the first time. I avoid popular names as I don't want to call my dog and 3 come, it happens round here there are a lot with the same name

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My OH chose 'Charlie' - I was so grateful that OH had agreed we could have a dog that I didn't give a damn what we called it. I quite like 'Charlie' - it certainly suits him. It's a common name - but I have never had another dog answer to my call. If they are that kind of dog, they are already sniffing round my treat bag anyway. :rolleyes:

I don't like fancy, fluffy names for dogs - it just sounds so poncey to shout Fantasia! Fantasia! (or whatever) across the Common. I like straightforward names - Jack, Bob etc.

Betsy was called Betsy because it's a straightforward name - and we'd settled on Bertie because we wanted a boy. But Bertie turned out to be a girl, Gertie was vetoed and it ended up as Betsy. It's fine. It's a name, not too silly, and it's fine.

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco was already called Coco, and yes, @Emily_BabbelHund , it DID feel awkward at first. Not a name I would have picked, but he knew it so well we didn't change it. I'm used to it now. There's a little Cocker x Poodle at training also called Coco - it really suits her - and when her man calls her, our Coco gets so excited thinking it's his go!

Before we had a dog, OH had a dream we got one & called her Pinny. But when we got Belle (she had no name, she was a stray) she was so beautiful she could only be Belle. We discovered she may have been called Whisky - a man shouted his dog and she spun around so fast thinking it was her he was calling. We teased her about it occasionally after that, she always pricked her ears.

We will have a Pinny one day.

12. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

The first labrador got her name from our children. She was called doerak, dutch for naughty.

Our second got the name Euan, we liked the English names and the third is called Finn. Sometimes Finny....

The breeder gave Finn another name. He was called Hurricane. We were allowed to name him whatever we liked.

13. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

OH and kid vetoed every.single.name. I was getting desperate and suddenly just thought of Xena - we knew we were getting a black girl, and Xena seemed right for a black dog. The family thought it was ok, so Xena it was.

14. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Loveeee reading stories about your puppies names!

Ours is a character out of a show my OH likes. Rolo is a Viking name in the show and I liked it too.

He vetoed every name I wanted, Chester, simba, Jax.

We both kinda wish we called him ghost now but I still love Rolo!

15. Trufflepup

Trufflepup Registered Users

Truffle for a chocolate lab- perhaps not so original, every other choc lab has a choc-related name, but it suits her very well. You could eat her right up! It's also the only one we all agreed on.
    We had a long list divided into categories- chocolate, science, geeky, nautical, and argued back and forth over them. Funnily enough, her registered name is Astra, and that had been on my shortlist, so that made me waver slightly, but not for long.

16. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I just thought Stanley was a cute name - and I didn't know any other dogs called that.

17. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My sister's old Staffie was called Stanley. I think it's a fine name :)

JenBainbridge likes this.
  18. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

19. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Our girl Jetstone Jewel was colour influenced. Jet is a semi-precious black, glossy stone used in making jewellery. My Grandmother had a Jet necklace, I wonder where that went to. I commissioned some jet jewellery pieces from a place in Whitby England.

Oban's name has a colour link if you know Scottish history and Scottish Gaelic. His name is a lonnggg story so I'll only give you part. My OH was born in Scotland and wanted a town name like his friend, a MacDougall. I figured Eddie would be a good call name from Edinburgh but he wanted Oban, which means little bay. Oban was the town seat of the MacDougalls and that means "son of a (dark) black stranger. So, Dubhgall Oban was named. Or black stranger of the little bay. It should have been Dubhgall ain Oban or at least "in" but the CKC wouldn't let me use "in" and "ain" was too long.

20. Diane Dake

Diane Dake Registered Users

Our first lab, a chocolate girl, we named Katie. We just liked the name. I came up with Sawyer for our male yellow. I used to watch the show Lost, which had a character by that name and I thought it would be a cute name for a male dog. Then I thought Kona would be cute for my latest puppy, since it is a type of coffee, and she is a chocolate. So kind of a color themed name. If I ever get a black male lab, I may name him Strider, from the Lord of the Rings, which I love!

snowbunny and drjs@5 like this.