In season- bleeding stopping and starting

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Fwhitt246, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Registered Users

Maisie is in season (as some of you prob read on the other thread). She has been bleeding for 16 days so far, but on day 13 she didn't bleed for a day so we thought it was done and then she bled on Saturday, and then yesterday and most of today she didn't bleed at all but then tonight she has again. Is this normal? It's really annoying!! I just want to get back to normal walks!

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Yes, I`m afraid it is normal in many bitches . I remember Millie stopping and starting, especially towards then end . Sometimes the blood may appear more watery towards the end of the season too, but they are still fertile . Millie seemed to go on for ages , I ensured that she wasn't allowed off lead for a full four weeks from the first time I noticed her bleeding, just to be on the safe side , sorry !

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I feel for you, it must be so frustrating! I bet her lead walking is coming along beautifully, though ;)

I'm going to start singing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" if you're not careful...

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Poor Maisie, it must be a pretty miserable time for her.

5. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

I's normal - many bitches stop bleeding or are hardly bleeding when they are in their "pick" time. It's very miss-leading as many owners think the season is over while it's really the most dangerous time if you're not planning to breed.

6. Fwhitt246

Iv just been on the phone to the vet as my daycare person has txt to say that she is very out of sorts today, crying randomly, bleeding heavily and also snapping at the other dogs (including her best friend who she usually sleeps with) so I'm popping her in for a check up. Over the last couple of days Iv suspected she may be in pain. Iv been taking her for short walks by a main road because I am absolutely obsessed about other dogs! There is a big patch of grass on the main road near my house so she has been out there sniffing away. Iv also been to my nans and in laws a lot who have huge secure gardens so she's had lots of running around :)

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

She is almost certainly still very fertile, so do be careful. It's good that you have secure places where you can let her run around and play! Don't worry, it'll all be over in a week. :)

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Poor Maisie.
    Hope this doesn't last too long for her, poor thing.

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Pongo sends licks (in a very brotherly, platonic way) and hopes she is better soon. Poor wee girl!

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor girl . Harley was like this. I didn't let her off lead until more than 2 weeks after she stopped bleeding. She bled for 13 days, stopped for about 36 hours, then bled again for 5 days! It was a long 6 weeks of lead walking. Harley was very cuddly with me during this time, but didn't even want to say hi to any dogs which was unusual......she even gave a warning bark at my neighbours male lab who she adores and usually goes nuts playing with him. I think they are a bit sensitive when it goes on for so long. I'm surprised your dog walker has her during her season - most that I know won't die to the risks with males.
    Harley sends licks

11. Fwhitt246

My dog walker/friend has her in daycare. She's only a small business and she lets Maisie in her house with her dogs rather than in the daycare room. She wouldn't normally have a dog in season but because it's Maisie (she is more my friend than dog walker!) she doesn't mind. I trust her. :)

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

There's no need to keep your dog on the lead for six weeks though - it's all over after around 21 days.

13. Fwhitt246

So it's been 23 days since Maisie started bleeding, and she stopped bleeding around day 18/19. When can I let her off? An entire 6 month old puppy in daycare didn't pay her any attention yesterday. Does that mean it's over??!!

14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I only kept Molly on lead and away from other dogs for 21 days from the start of bleeding. However she didn't bleed for as long as Maisie - one week in her first season and two weeks in her second. I'd say Maisie was safe, but I know some people say you need to wait for 28 days.

15. Caro A

Caro A Registered Users

Hi I know this is an old post, but it’s really useful. Bonnie is now say 28 today. I’ve kept her confined to the garden, mostly she’s been quite happy just mooching about, especially as it’s been hot weather. But I’m now desperate to get her out and about. She still stands and flags if I scratch her back this morning, if I had her on the lead and a male came along would we be in big trouble, I don’t want to cause a problem for locals. Opinions please?! Thanks

16. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I think it can be difficult to tell --- the flagging that they do when they are receptive and ready to mate is very distinctive, it's a definite turn of the whole tail, almost parallel with their spine. I had trouble telling when Cassie had finished her first heat, I thought she was flagging still at 28 days but it was very slight, and actually I found that she would do that inbetween heats and now that she has been spayed will still move her tail to one side if scratched on her rump! But in her second heat it was the proper flagging so easier to tell.

It's tricky I think without seeing Bonnie's reaction to say over the internet. Do you have any friends with intact males who would be happy to meet her and then you could gage her reaction? That's what I did and all was fine. Or otherwise ask your vet. :)