Is it normal to be thinking about rehoming my puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by vicvegas, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

If she is a typical Lab pup, you should be getting to the end of the worst of it. I don't think Tilly or Cooper were that bitey after they got their permanent teeth. At least it did not hurt as much. Baby teeth are terrible, but your pup should have mostly permanent teeth by now.

All of our dogs have been pretty good with kids, but they certainly could have knocked a 6 yr old down in the wrong situation. We still worry about our knees with Cooper and Tilly (esp Cooper) The rule is always stand with your knees bent when they dogs are playing around you. It does sound like your pup is a bit more of a handful than the typical Lab pup, but I expect she will mellow out if you can keep working with her. I presume you do have a crate so you can confine her some of the time. Do you have the option really wearing her out? We always say "A tired dog is a good dog".

2. vicvegas

vicvegas Registered Users

Yes shes been to one lot of puppy classes and now started a nearer one. She loves going. I have had a trainer do two home visits. She has a good run on her afternoon walk when its just with me. She always finds a dog or two to have a wrestle. I give her frozen kongs, various chews, frozen carrots, boxes to shred, old plastic bottles with kibble, kong wobbler and treat ball! She knows sit, down, stay, gentle, leave, back, shake, stand and roll over..with a bite! Will do it for the kids as well as knows she'll get treats! Oh why cant she stop biting people????

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You can definitely have her on a lead, and a mat beside you, and she gets treats for settling down. At first, if you get just a few seconds you'll be doing well, you can't expect too much of an over excited baby, but if you keep at it you can draw out the time bit by bit and make lots of progress. Try to just drop the treats on her mat when she has really settled, not looking at you waiting for a treat. Otherwise, if she'll settle in a crate, put her in a crate - better than being on her own in the kitchen.

It helps if you train go to mat before waiting for a settle on a mat. To reinforce being on the mat is a great place to be. :)

4. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

I'mnot trying to sound negative, really, but it just seems that in reality the folks in your household just aren't really interested in a puppy, other than you. And that expectations for a very young lab's behavior are unrealistic. It's normal behavior. It's a stage. It doesn't last forever. But if other training and socialization is put aside that reds to be addressed because you can't get past it, then I fear that she will develop other bad habits that the need to be corrected. Screaming, running, jumping children only excite a young, exciteable puppy even more. So if the children aren't able to modify their behavior and OH is against the whole idea, the puppy may be better off rehomed. Maybe when kids are older it could be more realistic.

Helen likes this.
  5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I tend to agree.... Training the puppy is half the picture at most. The other half is made up of human attitudes and behaviour. The kids need to calm down, slow down and become quiet. The puppy's behaviour is normal and the humans are the ones who must adapt the most.

It is understandable if it's not possible to change the human side of the equation. That does make it all much harder though... Not impossible by any means, but harder. And it looks like it is taking a big toll on you, which I'm sure is really exhausting.

6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Training, home visits, enrichment toys - it sounds as though you're doing a lot right, and if you've made it to 6 months then it would be such a pity to re-home her now. BUT...like others have said, if your kids and husband are refusing to adapt then you're really being put in an awful position. No matter what you choose there's going to be resentment somewhere. I'm sorry, you've got a tough decision ahead of you :(

7. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

You have worked so hard to get where you are and by the sounds of it are doing really well. I don't have children but I am a club steward at a rugby club where on a Sunday there are over 200 children running about, plus their older/younger siblings who don't play rugby. From when we got him Bailey was at the club with us and obviously got lots of fuss. When tired he went in his crate and I made the children leave him alone completely.

While going through the bitey crocopup stage he was kept on a short lead when around the children and they were told not to touch him (just because sharp puppy teeth draw blood very easily). Now at 5 months old Bailey is not so bad with biting as almost all his puppy teeth are out - he is certainly a lot gentler when he mouths us - I still don't let him put his mouth on children.

Trouble is he is so bouncy and loves children. We are working hard on impulse control especially when the children are running around and screaming like banshees! Even children that have dogs at home are told to approach him calmly and if he does jump just fold their arms and turn away (and to date I am still the only one he has nipped on the butt when doing this!). It is still work in progress but small improvements are seen each day.

Honestly it will get better - but if the time is not right for you and your family then it is not. You must make a decision based on your family and what is best for them. I don't envy you making this decision but best of luck with whatever you decide x

8. vicvegas

Hi yes it is a difficult decision and as I say I change my mind constantly. My kids are not boisterous. Do not irritate or tease her. They say they love her. They are scared of her though and rightly so. When pup was smaller my son was confident with her but she has jumped him twice badly and bit him. Daughter witnessed this and is careful to stay out of reach. Hubby did warm to her initially but that has gone now. He is normally a very patient man. Everyone I meet on my walks can't believe how feisty she is and I tell people not to stroke her but they do and get mouthed. People have said so many things, oh you should slap her bottom, tap her nose, pick her up by the scruff, close her mouth, shout at her, rattle a tin with stones, spray her with corrector spray! I think Im making her sound awful but then she gives me a lick and I want to keep her. One thing Im sure of if a burglar breaks in my house, they'd be leaving in a hurry!

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Being effectively firm with people on the street comes with experience! :) I struggled to keep strangers away from Charlie but I don't with Betsy because I have got better at saying no, you can't pat my puppy. I block people from accessing my puppy by the way I stand, and I've got much better at telling which people have the intention of approaching my puppy and which don't.

I don't always get it right, but when I get it wrong I tend to upset the humans because I haven't smiled enough or explained quickly enough, they still never get to my puppy though! :D

The things I say include:

No, sorry, we are training right now.
    We've met hundreds of people already, she is a bit overwhelmed.
    She is snappy and bitey, so I can't risk your kids saying hello.
    We won't say hello this time, we are learning that we don't say hello to everyone.

And so on...if people persist I just tell them No, don't pat my puppy.

jools and SwampDonkey like this.
  10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She will!

It just takes time. I was not paying attention this morning and wearing shorts. OUCH!! Blood all down my leg :rolleyes:

From this seeming angel!!

It's all about management. It's fine to have her on a lead to teach her toe title (so long as she's had enough play etc). We do this all the time with our pups as they have to settle in pubs, restraurants etc as well as at home (Guide Dog puppies)

I have our 3 year old twins coming today, it will be a case of vigilance and management.

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

Edp likes this.
  11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

toe title??

To settle!! Lol

MF and drjs@5 like this.
  12. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I was wondering what that was! Just assumed it was a guide dog specific training cue that I'd never heard of! :D

MF likes this.
  13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I didn't get it either LOL.

@vicvegas I haven't commented before now but have been reading and keeping up.
    I don't have the experience of coping with a really bitey dog so others have been more use to you here.
    What I did want to chuck in the mix was about how you would feel if you rehomed (REALLY feel). Would you resent your husband/kids for denying you your longed for dog? Or would it really be a relief?
    Just something I would be wondering and something you need to think about. We need to consider the medium to long term consequence of big decisions as well as the short term ones.
    Jac

14. vicvegas

I wouldnt resent my family. I would feel a mixture of relief that the stress would be gone but then I think I will get down....

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sorry having a bad day hands not working what I was trying to say was if you want people to leave your pup alone tell them she's rolled in poo works really well

17. vicvegas

Excellent idea!

18. Hugo's mum

Hugo's mum Registered Users

@vicvegas Hugo has gone to to kennels today as we are about to go on holiday for a week - it is much easier at home this afternoon but we all miss him - I'm wondering whether a trial of away for a week would work for you to make a proper decision ?!

19. vicvegas

Yes that's a good idea. What time do you want to pick her up?!!!

20. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

@Hugo's mum, that is a good idea for @vicvegas. I used to work for a vet and one day a woman came in with a young Boxer and said she couldn't cope and wanted him to be put down and left. The vet decided he couldn't do this so put the pup in the kennels and that day I took the pup out for a walk. A couple of days later the woman came in in tears and said she so regretted having the pup put to sleep, so vet was delighted to tell her it hadn't been and she had the pup back. It turned out she was at the end of her tether with the pup and just two days break made such a difference and all ended well.