Is it normal to be thinking about rehoming my puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by vicvegas, Jul 24, 2016.

1. vicvegas

vicvegas Registered Users

Thanks for everyone's help on this forum. I'm having a good puppy day today. X

Granca, Naya, Samantha Jones and 11 others like this.
  2. MF

MF Registered Users

@vicvegas if it's any consolation, someone who works at an animal shelter told me that the majority of medium-large dogs that are brought in are around 8 months of age -- the typical age when a large boisterous puppy becomes too much for the family to handle. You are not alone in your predicament.

charlie likes this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I agree with @MF, when we rescued Charlie he was 9 months old and he was a real handfull, he was given up by his family and handed into the pound to be PTS at 6 months old :(:( We stuck at his training,he is 5 1/2 years old now and not half bad at all, we couldn't be without him :inlove: x

Cath, samandmole and Pilatelover like this.
  4. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

It gets better. It really does! It would be a shame to be almost through the toughest part and to give up. But I understand how hard it is to be the only one trying out of the family. Axel was super bitey as a puppy. And I have wicked scars on my legs and arms and hands that I don't think will ever go away. My husband hated Axel for awhile and wanted to rehome him too. Told me "I really wouldn't care if we took him back to the breeder. I would be happy too"

It broke my heart. Even though I was so upset and stressed too. The idea kept coming up in my head that maybe we took on too much and it would be for the best to rehome him. On one of my many melt downs I finally called a trainer and set him up for classes which started that night. Since then it made a world of a difference. Sure we had set backs but we knew how to control them better and always had a crate for time outs. Even if it was just for our sanity.

Once Axel lost all his teeth he no longer mouthed with pressure at all. Although Once he was about 6 months old I believe.. He entered his teenager years and he went through a week or so of being a monster again. But there was no pressure behind the mouthing of arm or hands. That didn't last long and now at 7 months old he rarely mouths unless you're playing and he gets over excited. But once again no pressure.

They do calm down and slow down. Axel is only 7 months old. So I'm sure we have a couple more hurtles to get over. But it's so worth it. My husband loves him now. Has since about 5.5 months old.

I just wanted to give a bit of my back story as I know how stressful it is after just going through it. I felt my husband and I were going to get divorced because of this puppy. We fought constantly. We were always on edge. But you get through it and once the puppy matures, one day you just stop and think "hey, puppy hasn't bit me today" and 'today' turns in to 'few days' and soon turns in to 'weeks'. Next thing you know everything feels mostly calm and good again and the crazy puppy is history

samandmole, Joy, Edp and 2 others like this.
  5. vicvegas

Thank you so much for your help. I get worried my husband will divorce me! We've had a good few days. Getting into a routine with the twins going for a walk combined with a playground visit to keep everyone happy. Been letting puppy into the lounge supervised and twins have been interacting with her. We all went to puppy class today which went well and bribed the twins with a chocolate muffin! There was another chocolate lab there the same age who was much more badly behaved than mine which made me feel better!! Maybe everything will be ok!!!

Pilatelover, Granca, Naya and 10 others like this.
  6. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

So glad to hear things are improving! Everything will be ok :D

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I'm glad to hear things seem to be improving. It really is far harder work than anyone can tell you, and I can't imagine what it must be like with young children around that you have to protect from those teeth! But, the bitey phase does pass. Of course, then you have the teenager stage, but as long as you stay consistent with training, go back a few steps when you need to and don't expect too much from a butterfly brain, then you'll come out the other side of that with a fabulous family pet. I hope things continue to improve for you.

8. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

Really happy to hear things have been better for a few days! I have a just turned 7 year old and a 4 year old, so I sympathise. Jessie was super bitey and I had many periods of feeling we had done the wrong thing! The then 6 year old really took the jumping up and biting personally. We kept them apart and taught the kids to turn backs on her or leave when she got silly, not to muck about and run around in the kitchen (her area). And it has got much better. She's still a nutter, but not much biting ( the odd bit of mouthing when she gets super excited) and she can control the jumping up much better. Things calmed around the 6 month mark and then got worse for a bit when she hit teenager hood at 7 months. She is now nearly 9 months old and much, much improved. The kids love her. If you can hang in there for a bit I feel sure you have done the hard bit! It sounds as though you have put so much work in. My husband is also frustrated by the dog, he has wanted one for years too and is frustrated by how hard work she has been. I just walk her myself now, it takes the pressure off him and prevents him mucking up my training! I'm sure the day will come when he will want to take her out when she's beautifully behaved, not jumping up at people and running after other dogs!

Another thought, but what lead/harness do you have? Walking her with the kids improved when I got a halti harness and lead! I have much better control over her. Yesterday I even managed to control her whilst carrying two scooters!! The trainer recommended a halti head collar thing, which neither the dog or I liked, but that also might be an option?

Ultimately though, the decision is yours and don't beat yourself if a dog isn't right for your family right now. You have clearly worked hard to try and make it work.

Good luck. Xx

MF likes this.
  9. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

I am pleased that you have had a good few days, hope they continue for you. xx

10. vicvegas

Another good day today! Let puppy in the lounge loads and she settled down for a sleep after her morning walk. Twins and I were able to stroke and even cuddle down with her without getting bitten! Lately I can ask her to give me a kiss and put my face to her and I'd say 70% of the time she will lick my ear (30% she will bite my ear!). Even hubby has played a bit of fetch with her. Shes in the lounge now, just hope she doesnt spoil it by doing one of her evil farts!

11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

You're sounding a lot more positive, @vicvegas. I hope you continue to have more successes, you deserve it x

12. vicvegas

Yes I have put a lot of hard work in! I really feel like I've been getting somewhere the last few days. Ive got a great body harness and just brought a halti head collar. Just trying to get her used to it gradually as she does not like it!

SwampDonkey likes this.
  13. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm so glad things are getting better for all of you. It does take time to adjust, very similar to when you have a baby and they turn out to not want to sleep and cry a lot!
    Fingers crossed things keep improving :)

14. Cath

Cath Registered Users

So pleased for you. You are doing great job with her :)

15. Granca

Granca Registered Users

It's good that you're sounding more positive and relaxed after all your hard work and perseverence. There will still be 'off' days, but there's so much progress and you can be proud of her. Good luck!

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Really glad you are having some good times together and feel like you're making progress :)

17. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

Happy to hear things seem to be going better for all. Enjoy the fun stuff!

18. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

Honestly it will get better and better. There will still be some days that test you but it's worth the effort. So happy you are having a better time :)

19. vicvegas

So glad I found this website and forum.

20. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

So glad things are looking up! Glad you found us too....it's so much easier when you have a tribe of people behind you. Believe me, we've all been there at different times along our doggie journeys...I know I certainly have!