John's idea!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Jane Martin, May 16, 2014.

1. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

View Profile
    Personal Message (Online)

Re: I've run out of things to buy and read about Labradors .....

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 09:16:43 pm »

I've moved from "I've run out of things to buy and read ..." on INTRODUCIONS.
    John wants to know my story (blaming you John as an excuse really, to have a bit of fun). ;D
    Here's what I last wrote over on that thread. (FEEL FREE TO BUTT IN AND HAVE A LAUGH ???)

Well maybe I will ;)
    John, I wouldn't know where to start ...
    Actually, it was last summer, I was narrow boating on the Thames and had moored up in wet and windy weather at the end of the day. We found our way to a pub and met a lovely Cocker Spaniel, who had his own seat and bowl in the pub. His name was Gimley and he got me thinking about whether it would be possible to have a dog.
    That's how it all started. How I got from Cocker Spaniel to Labrador is another story ::)
    Any bites? ;D

So, I came from from the boat trip and the idea about a dog really took hold - I had left my full time job; my mum had left me a little money; my children had left home (nobody to have to take into consideration with doggy decisions) - well, I thought "There's no harm in looking" ;)

Research began. I am useless on computers, apart from google ::) What kind of dog? I'm not sure why but I settled on a gun dog of some kind; I think I thought that would be some sensible breeding and would end up with a physically and temperamentally sound dog. I wondered if maybe there would be such a thing as a Gun Dog show - google! Unbelievable, there was a gundog show TOMORROW about 3 miles down the road, it was fate :D

Three hours at the Gun Dog show, badgering mostly helpful breeders I was no further on. I had liked the Vizlars (spelling?) and Welsh Springer Spaniels. All of the dogs I met were so friendly, and I was surprised but really happy - yes, I definitely wanted a dog.

I have a friend who has horses Hampshire and I mentioned that I had been to this show (another sign of Fate), there were puppies where her horses were stabled! I visited and had a lovely couple of hours with adult dogs (loved them so not just a puppy thing) and then the puppies. I went with the breeder on a walk with ALL of the dogs, the pups were about 12 weeks old and could have been sold several times over: they were Chessapeake Bay Retrievers. They were all very friendly and the breeder was very positive and helpful. At this stage I was sure I would like a Chessie but a little Labrador angel had landed on my shoulder and was whispering in my ear ;)

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: John's idea!

It's so nice to hear why other people want dogs :)
    What a dilemma with choosing a breed though!

3. Jane Martin

Please excuse typos on my last post!!! I didn't listen to my own advice about proof-reading! Call yourself a teacher Ha! ;D ???

4. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

I'm happy to take the credit for this Jane!!!

I loved it, made me laugh :D A Labrador Angel eh? can't wait to hear more ;)

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

more, more.....!!

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Definitely want to hear The Rest Of The Story.... :)

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, you can't leave us on a cliffhanger!!! :)

8. Jane Martin

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are few and far between. Only a very few are registered each year with KC, perhaps between 30 and 50. So, the hunt was on. My experience was both positive (hopeful) and negative (let down) :(. I chased two litters, maybe too enthusiastically (it's my nature!) which fatally (some would say) brought me back to Labrador love. LL :* Have I coined a new phrase/symbol/logo? LL. I like it.
    This is how it happened. I was told about a litter, way north of me, that might happen, several months away. I made arrangements to visit, which I did, and all seemed hunky-dory. After waiting several months ( on the list), unfortunately - don't know why - it came to nothing. I had invested a lot of time researching, travelling, DREAMING, and waiting - believing I was ON the list.
    When it all came to nought, I was luckily referred to litter/breeder number 2. A lovely lady.
    Now, the thing I discovered about serious gun dog owners and breeders is: they really breed for their own 'stock', as it were. I respect that completely. In fact, I reckon it's a good thing. This lovely lady promised me that if there was a 'spare' she would be mine; there wasn't, so I missed out. Fate again.
    But, what was it that made me start to question my Chessie choice ( another new phase?) when I visited her and her lovely Chessie bitch?

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

....what was it?......

10. Jane Martin

Ha! ;D

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is worse than Game of Thrones ;D I NEED THE NEXT EPISODE!!! ;D

12. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I bet she had a Lovely Lab as well.....

13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

This is brilliant ;D

14. Jane Martin

She had a lovely lab as well.
    I walked in to see a very pregnant Chessie and this black, very leggy, 6 month old Labrador bitch came bounding over to me. My heart flipped and for a moment I considered asking "Can I have this one NOW?). It was difficult keeping my mind off her, especially with her head resting on my knees.
    It was with an unsettled mind that I went home.
    Labradors had been popping in and out of my mind from the start but I had nudged them away. The only dog I had had in my life was Sam, a Labrador from when I was about 6 to my teenage years. I think I had been riddled with guilt after taking him to be put to sleep when I was 14. It turned out that he was full of heart worm and we fought a losing battle to keep the ticks off him (1970s Australia). So, I couldn't bear the thought of a yellow lab. Of course, there's black and brown (chocolate)!
    After months and more months of researching and waiting for Chesapeake litters, what was I going to do now??
    I thought I could have one of each. As fate would have it, there wasn't a pup from that Chessie litter, the breeder ended up keeping all but a dog and I was advised to start with a bitch.
    NOW the research really began. I had nobody to recommend a breeder of Labradors. I just remember the Chessie breeder saying her lab was a field line.
    Google!
    Kennel club puppy search .......

15. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I'm hooked.....what happened next!! :)

16. Jane Martin

Just going to make a cuppa and order a rope chew - as you do - back later!

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

LOL.
    It was the head on the knee - a killer move :)

Don't be long.......

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

How many cliffhangers ;)

19. JohnL

JohnL Registered Users

[quote author=Jane Martin link=topic=6002.msg78634#msg78634 date=1400399070]
    I think I had been riddled with guilt after taking him to be put to sleep when I was 14.
    [/quote]

You made me laugh and now you've brought tears to my eyes.

:'(

Isn't Lisa a clever girl though...I'm impressed! :)

20. Jane Martin

I had put too many (all of my) eggs in one basket. I began a two pronged -attack?- approach. Where to start? I looked up Labrador puppies on the Kennel Club search facility but every one I called had sold or had all of their puppies reserved. I got the hang of it: find your breeder/s first then book a puppy from upcoming litters.
    Now for an entirely new approach: I would continue to use the information about breeders on the KC site, after all, they all gave email addresses, so they must expect emails; secondly: I would try to find Field line breeders on the internet.
    The KC information was to try and meet breeders near to me. I emailed several but only had one reply. She kindly allowed me to visit her dogs. I have to say that they weren't my cup of tea but I was so grateful to have been invited AND it was helpful. I knew after that that I definitely wanted a lighter Lab. (Ha - another LL :*)
    Back to the drawing board. Or, Google, I should say. Things didn't seem to be progressing very quickly for me and I kept thinking the puppy god was trying to say it wasn't meant to be :'(