Lola attacked by several dogs now I can't stop cryng

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by LovelyLittleLola, Mar 28, 2014.

1. LovelyLittleLola

LovelyLittleLola Registered Users

Re: Lola attacked by several dogs now I can't stop cryng

[quote author=Jen link=topic=5119.msg65797#msg65797 date=1396596775]
    I'm with Debsie. If I meet a loose dog I make more noise than it possibly can it usually stops them then wait for the owner.

I'm being thick is a pcso the police?

If it is try the dog warden. Get onto the council they will have a dog warden in their environment department although they aren't called dog wardens around here anymore.

Make a complaint and complain about the police attitude. If you can get other dog walkers to back you up it would be good but I would tell them you aren't the only one to have had problems.

Sorry but if that's the attitude of the police it says a lot. :mad:
    [/quote]

PCSO is police community support officer or toy police as my sister calls them lol. We live in a very small town with next to no crime so we have few real police officers

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just a thought here, but could you maybe put a card in your local Vets waiting room about wanting to start a dog walking group , pointing out for friendly dogs and friendly owners ?
    Having seen a friends injurys when trying to part two dogs , ( one gloved her hand which needed surgery and will never be right again ) I wouldnt ever try to get hold of anyone elses dog . I would make a lot of racket though and possibly use a walking stick to part them or shove one away ?
    Sadly, the wardens and police dont act when its dog on dog , even if one of the dogs is 100% passive , wrong I know .
    Glad that you have found somewhere else to walk, but its totally unfair that you had to do this x

3. LovelyLittleLola

Initially I was really cross that we had to walk elsewhere but when I think about it the new place probably works better cause although it isn't as pretty it is really muddy and Lola LOVES mud and wet grass. I think I will definitely consider the dog walking group double thumbs up for that one lol

4. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've never had to use it but I carry a rape alarm readily accessible in my rucksack. Apparently it is very successful at warding off attacking dogs, and I know two folk who have had strange dogs "locked on" biting the back of the neck of their passive labs who tell me that lifting the ear of the attacker and placing a screaming rape alarm in their ear canal is a great way to get them to let go.

5. LovelyLittleLola

[quote author=Lochan link=topic=5119.msg65887#msg65887 date=1396625328]
    I've never had to use it but I carry a rape alarm readily accessible in my rucksack. Apparently it is very successful at warding off attacking dogs, and I know two folk who have had strange dogs "locked on" biting the back of the neck of their passive labs who tell me that lifting the ear of the attacker and placing a screaming rape alarm in their ear canal is a great way to get them to let go.
    [/quote]

Superb idea! I am so glad I came across this site, read some brilliant stuff. Although I don't think I would put it in the ear as they are seriously loud. I remember my mum having one that attached to her keys. Gonna check eBay

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It depends what you are worried most about, I think.

I have a plan (because having a plan stops me worrying but also because I meet a lot of aggressive dogs). I think you've got to work out what you are most comfortable with doing (or not).

I think breaking up a serious full on dog fight is a bit different from getting an aggressive dog off a passive dog (if that is your worry). There are loads of tips and articles on line but you need to watch what you read of course.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I don't worry from my point of view as we don't meet a massive amount of dogs and when we do I generally know them well and there are no issues. We have had one or two massive labs bounce all over Hattie but nothing serious enough for any intervention.

When you say agressive what do you mean, physically attacking Charlie, teeth on show?

It's great to have a plan but we all know plans don't always go to plan and I am just trying to say that you could get yourself into a situation to you didn't plan for and maybe can't get out of. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion, but you must do what you think is right. I try not to read tips and articles on these kinds of subjects or I will worry ::) I try to deal with the moment as I rarely find I react the way I think I will.

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

When I was a young teenager we looked after a friend's dog for a while who was seriously dog aggressive (he was lovely with people) I separated many dog fights even when they had snarling, biting teeth and were drawing blood. There was a chow dog up the road and if they got together it was utter carnage. I was known to have one of each dog's collar, holding both at arms length while they tried to rip hell out of each other. I don't remember being afraid at all! I forced them to calm down by simply holding them and not allowing the fight to progress :eek:

This has made me very confident around dogs, even very aggressive ones. I think this confidence has passed to my dogs as they simply don't worry about snarlers and just walk on by with a *stupid mutt* glance. Once or twice dogs had a go at my cavaliers and I just grabbed their collars and waited for their owners with leads, and passed them on.

I don't recommend this method btw - but it did work for me!

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=charlie link=topic=5119.msg65891#msg65891 date=1396626830]
    I don't worry from my point of view as we don't meet a massive amount of dogs and when we do I generally know them well and there are no issues. We have had one or two massive labs bounce all over Hattie but nothing serious enough for any intervention.

When you say agressive what do you mean, physically attacking Charlie, teeth on show?

It's great to have a plan but we all know plans don't always go to plan and I am just trying to say that you could get yourself into a situation to you didn't plan for and maybe can't get out of. It's just not worth the risk in my opinion, but you must do what you think is right. I try not to read tips and articles on these kinds of subjects or I will worry ::) I try to deal with the moment as I rarely find I react the way I think I will.
    [/quote]

Helen, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. :) I do disagree with you, but I hear your views which are clear. :)

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You were clearly a confident teenager Mags but still not a wise thing to do really and I don't know if I would do it, I guess I would have to be in that situation to see what my reaction would be but I definitely would not let my teenagers :eek:. I still would not like anyone to grab my dogs collars returning them to me as I feel this would be almost as bad as a stranger taking one of my children when they were small and marching them back to me if there had been an incident with their child. I think people getting involved in this way is maybe asking for trouble not avoiding it. My own personal views :)

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=5119.msg65897#msg65897 date=1396628625]
    [quote author=charlie link=topic=5119.msg65891#msg65891 date=1396626830]

[/quote]

Helen, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. :) I do disagree with you, but I hear your views which are clear. :)
    [/quote]

Fine Julie :) I disagree with you, but your views are also clear ;) :D

12. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

It is actually difficult to know how you will react in any given circumstances.

When my last dog, an amiable little 12 year cross, was attacked coming out of the Vets wearing her lampshade I had no hesitation in weighing into the beast that had got my girl upside down. I thumped it with the retractable lead I had in my hand and kicked it, anything to make it let go.

I am a quiet, animal loving pensioner. I was amazed at how quickly I turned into a snarling mother tiger!

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I've told this story before - but my dear old Bones was badly attacked by a big black dog, while in the care of my ex. This dog got him down on the ground, and truly tried to rip his heart out. Bones was screaming, old toothless Billy was trying to protect his brother, and it took my ex and the dog's owner minutes to get him off. The result was a two-hour operation to save Bones' life.

I have always said that in a case like that, I would have protected my dog. If it ever came down to it, it wouldn't be pretty, but I swear I would deal with any dog attacking mine. :(

14. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

I was told many years ago that the sure-fire way to stop dogs fighting is to grab them by the skin on their foreheads. Apparently this forces a release reaction but, I reckon, you'd have to be brave to stick your hands in!

Have only had to see a dog off once ... a small Jack Russell attacking my large but elderly Giant Schnauzer bitch; hanging from the skin on her throat and twisting/shaking to rip her skin just like they shake a rat to kill it.
    I make no excuses I drop kicked the little dog and (luckily?) it's owner grabbed it before it could get another bite in or me another kick. I respect all animalkind and abhor cruelty but when it comes down to me'n'mine anything goes even for this generally peaceable hippy/biker type.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've heard various things - getting a lead round the back end of the aggressor and lifting his back legs off the floor, same but pull backwards or just drag the dog backwards by the hind legs. Lots of suggestions to try use a barrier (hmmm... You might have to get lucky to find one kicking round just when you need it). Caesar Milan recommends a hard kick in the ribs to the aggressor. (I'm not recommending Milan or any thing else).

Charlie has twice been on his back with a dog on top of him and I've thought it was serious. Both hands tight on the back of the other dog's collar and pull up and back with Tiger Mother inspired strength has worked both times. I'm not sure it's more risky than trying to stick a rape alarm in an ear (for example) - but I do think a rape alarm might well work.

My lab pup was attacked by a big gsd when I was a teenager - I kicked that dog so hard! It turned to bite me and I thrust my bag in its face, my pup legged it, and help arrived. I was terrified. I'd do the same again though.

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Our trainer said to us, early on, that in the instance of a fight, pulling a dog off by its tail was effective, but the ONLY time you might take this kind of action.
    Personally, I am not sure that I could do this, but I guess if my dog was being attacked......
    Would this not aggravate an aggressive dog??

17. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Water works. Not always to hand though. ::)

However had I thought it through when Murphy was being attacked by the mastiffs we were on the canal bank I should've pushed them in .

I think you do go into automatic pilot you don't have time to think you just act.

18. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Just don't do what I did and try and separate two fighting dogs with your hands. I ended up in A&E needing stitches and a Tetanus jab! :eek: :p The dogs were fine. :)

19. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Cripes heidrun that sounds horrid!

Yes my bellowing and 'colourful language' ;D might be a bit OTT in polite circles! Its the invective that works tho...Edinburgh is used to it :).

In all seriousness though there are a fair amount of Badly Brought Up dogs in the city where I live, lovely dogs in the right hands i reckon but out of control and generally obnoxious when out and about with the owners that have them. Poor pups...I think I understand dog body language enough now to know when a dog is being aggressive, rather than just ill mannered, and while my Rollicking has worked up to now Im not quite sure what you are supposed to do if your dog is really attacked. I carry a rape alarm as advised by sis Lochan, hope I never have to use it!

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=debsie link=topic=5119.msg65969#msg65969 date=1396646092]
    In all seriousness though there are a fair amount of Badly Brought Up dogs in the city where I live, lovely dogs in the right hands i reckon but out of control and generally obnoxious when out and about with the owners that have them.
    [/quote]

Yes. Lots of lovely dogs too - just in case people think all London dogs are horrible. But just a tiny percent of a huge number of dogs mean you meet a lot of horrible ones.

My worst ever owner - an Irish Wolfhound set about Charlie. I protested. The owner just said "oh give him a good kicking, he's a b*****d that one!" And he carried on walking.