Lottie and Willow Training log - Adolescents!

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by WillowAndLottie, Jan 9, 2015.

1. WillowAndLottie

WillowAndLottie Registered Users

Our two girls are growing up so fast! They are 7 months old now, and are so different in character. They were supposed to be family dogs, but my brother and dad don't do any training (they will walk at the weekend!) and my mum is really busy and just doesn't enjoy it. So I've trained them! I decided to start a training log as I hope people can help me learn, and that others might learn from it! Also, it would be nice to get to know people as it'll make me log on more often!

SO here's what their training has been so far, in a rough order of how they learnt:

Lottie -
    Crates fine.
    Sit good but not from a distance.
    She's loves "lie down" and offers it all the time!
    "Leave it" is flawless
    Stay is pretty good :)
    "Roll over" is fun !!
    Recall - She is not so good! She will come away from anything after hearing the whistle. Even if she's hurtling towards another dog.
    General walk manners - the only thing is she play fights with Willow, nipping at her tail and face when they run along. I don't mind it and home but not on walks.

She's a sweet girl, not into much fussing unless she feels like it and she much prefers playing with Willow than other dogs. She is motivated by food but almost gets over excited so can be tricky to get her calm when training. I think she's more intelligent than Willow. She got 100% in her puppy obedience test at 16 weeks :)

Willow - Exactly the same except:
    Her "lie down" usually ends up with her pawing at the air/ my hand.
    Recall - She is not so good! She will come away from boring things, if I have chicken etc. She was doing so well, then it went rocky, then her sister went away for a few days and it was time for a training crack down. We worked hard on it and she was coming away from everything. I was really pleased with her!! And then today, a week after her sister returned, I was walking at a new place, and suddenly realised I had Lottie with me but not Willow. I blew the whistle. Nothing. hmmm.... I walked back out of the foresty bit to see a small yellow blur hurtling around the green between two groups of people. I called her, squeeked, ran about - she certainly saw me making an idiot out of myself but chose to ignore me. When I eventually walked down and caught her, she looked up at me with a "oooh you'll never guess how much fun I just had!!" look on her face ;) So we went backwards in that respect. I'm not sure what's best to do in that situation; she completely ignored me and I had to walk to her. Should I put her on the lead? I don't really tell her off as I think that'll make her reluctant to come back again, but I didn't C&T this time.

She also learnt "high five" today :p

She's very people and dog orientated. She loves friends :D She's easy to train except she zones out a bit every now and again... My brother has nicknamed her White Chocolate Lab as he says she has the brain of a chocolate lab :S

Sorry it's so long, updates will be shorter!

Looking forward to hearing from you all :)

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Lottie and Willow Training log - Adolescents!

Your training seems really good :) well done :D
    If Harley ever ignores my recall and I have to go to her I usually pop the lead on for a few mins or do heel walking off lead for a few mins :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What a good idea. I love training logs!

[quote author=WillowAndLottie link=topic=9446.msg135918#msg135918 date=1420818997]
    a small yellow blur hurtling around the green between two groups of people. I called her, squeeked, ran about - she certainly saw me making an idiot out of myself but chose to ignore me. When I eventually walked down and caught her, she looked up at me with a "oooh you'll never guess how much fun I just had!!" look on her face ;) So we went backwards in that respect. I'm not sure what's best to do in that situation; she completely ignored me and I had to walk to her. Should I put her on the lead? I don't really tell her off as I think that'll make her reluctant to come back again, but I didn't C&T this time.
    [/quote]

The first thing to ask is: should you have used your recall? Have you built up your recall so you know she will come away from groups of people, when excited, at some distance away from you? I suppose the answer has to be no, otherwise she would have come. :) :) :)

She didn't decide to ignore you. She wasn't able to cope with the distractions and distance from you in order to obey the cue.

So the strategy is: don't use your recall if you haven't trained for the situation you are in; if you do use your recall and it fails, go get your dog, quietly put it on a lead and do nothing else.

If my recall fails, and my dog is around other people and other dogs that he might be bothering, I go get him right away. I don't run around, run backwards and so on. This is because I don't think it's fair to the other people. It quite drives me mad when I've got someone else's dog jumping up at me, interrupting my training of my dog, and the owner is walking backwards shouting "Fido! Fido! I'm leaving!". ;D ;D ;D I save the squeeking and jumping around for when it's a training set up.

4. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Love training logs and the advice on this site is amazing. My training log or should I say Rolo's is on hold for now. My clicker is due to arrive any day now. Yippee!

5. WillowAndLottie

[quote author=Naya link=topic=9446.msg135927#msg135927 date=1420822487]
    Your training seems really good :) well done :D
    If Harley ever ignores my recall and I have to go to her I usually pop the lead on for a few mins or do heel walking off lead for a few mins :)
    [/quote]

Okay so am I right in doing that :) I wouldn't say our training is really good, and they're being pains today! I just want well mannered not embaressing doggies!

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=9446.msg135932#msg135932 date=1420823107]
    What a good idea. I love training logs!

[quote author=WillowAndLottie link=topic=9446.msg135918#msg135918 date=1420818997]
    a small yellow blur hurtling around the green between two groups of people. I called her, squeeked, ran about - she certainly saw me making an idiot out of myself but chose to ignore me. When I eventually walked down and caught her, she looked up at me with a "oooh you'll never guess how much fun I just had!!" look on her face ;) So we went backwards in that respect. I'm not sure what's best to do in that situation; she completely ignored me and I had to walk to her. Should I put her on the lead? I don't really tell her off as I think that'll make her reluctant to come back again, but I didn't C&T this time.
    [/quote]

The first thing to ask is: should you have used your recall? Have you built up your recall so you know she will come away from groups of people, when excited, at some distance away from you? I suppose the answer has to be no, otherwise she would have come. :) :) :)

She didn't decide to ignore you. She wasn't able to cope with the distractions and distance from you in order to obey the cue.

So the strategy is: don't use your recall if you haven't trained for the situation you are in; if you do use your recall and it fails, go get your dog, quietly put it on a lead and do nothing else.

If my recall fails, and my dog is around other people and other dogs that he might be bothering, I go get him right away.
    [/quote]

To be honest, her recall has been so perfect the past week (we've worked really hard the last few weeks on her, proofing in many situations) and I thought she was right behind me - I'd just gone through a path in the woods to another green, and Lottie was right beside me. I didn't know Willow had run off to play in the other direction.

And yeah, I know she didn't ignore me, she just found them much more inviting!! Obviously not as proofed as I thought :p

Okay thanks for clarifying that, I just popped her on the lead and walked away. It's so awful to be that one with the annoying dog!

the owner is walking backwards shouting "Fido! Fido! I'm leaving!". ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

haha and Fido is going "OKAY MUM I REALLY DON'T CARE YOU JUST GO I'M BUSY PLAYING BYEEEEE!"

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=WillowAndLottie link=topic=9446.msg135936#msg135936 date=1420824680]

the owner is walking backwards shouting "Fido! Fido! I'm leaving!". ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

haha and Fido is going "OKAY MUM I REALLY DON'T CARE YOU JUST GO I'M BUSY PLAYING BYEEEEE!"
    [/quote]

That's about it! ;D ;D ;D

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Yey, another training log!

Just one thing I'd mention - if you don't like Willow pawing the air in her down, teaching her to high five may not be the best idea, as it could encourage that behaviour? I'm not teaching mine to offer paws for anything for that reason. My Willow already paws the sofa sometimes to get my attention, which has obviously worked in the past (my bad) and now it's something I'm having to try to extinguish :-\

8. WillowAndLottie

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=9446.msg135962#msg135962 date=1420828435]
    Yey, another training log!

Just one thing I'd mention - if you don't like Willow pawing the air in her down, teaching her to high five may not be the best idea, as it could encourage that behaviour? I'm not teaching mine to offer paws for anything for that reason. My Willow already paws the sofa sometimes to get my attention, which has obviously worked in the past (my bad) and now it's something I'm having to try to extinguish :-\

[/quote]

Yes I did think of that.... So far it seems to be a good outlet for her, and we just ignore her if she paws at any other time.

I just worked on "left spin" and "back up" over the last few days, I've been so busy at a family wedding and at work so haven't had a lot of time. Will do more tomorrow:)

9. WillowAndLottie

I also forgot to say they know "Touch" which means anything near their faces is to be touched by their nose! They also ring a bell to go pee outside (this backfires a bit if they're in a pickly mood - they ring 10 times an hour and just want to go out and play!!)

Today we've worked on spin left and commands from afar. They're doing okay, I haven't introduced spin right yet and they're not doing left on command yet. Will also do some basic agility later when they perk up after recovering from walkies. We did a lovely walk today somewhere new with lots of doggies, they re called really nicely!

Days like today make me glad we got them!