My first labrador

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by newburymark, Aug 16, 2013.

1. newburymark

newburymark Registered Users

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of getting my first lab, off to see a litter in Gloucestershire on Sunday with the view to buying little Monty. He's a yellow lab and currently 4 weeks old so will be able to bring him home to Dorset mid September. I'm so excited, slightly nervous too. There is a lot to get ready! Any advise on any aspects of puppies will be gratefully received.

Kind Regards

Mark :)

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: My first labrador

Hi Mark and welcome from me , two year old black Lab Sam and my rescue Millie, age unknown :)
    How exciting for you to have little Monty in your life , there are lots of posts in this section about pups, their needs and training also . What I would say is , enjoy him, try to relax as much as possible around him and make the very most of his puppyhood, it flies by :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Welcome from me, Julie, and my choc boy Charlie.

Enjoy every moment of the puppy, Kate is right - the small puppy soon grows up!

4. newburymark

Thanks guys! Looking forward to bringing him home! Like I say, going to see some yellow labs on Sunday so if all goes well I will have a photo or two to show. ;D

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

We love photos. And we really love puppy photos! :) :)

6. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

welcome mark, from me lynne and jasper black lab in 2 days 8 month old..... :)

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Good luck Mark meeting your puppy....don't think I have heard of anybody since I've been a member here telling us about going to choose their puppy.....exciting!we have got yellow Dexter,nearly 11 months old...he's our first dog,never mind lab!Kates words are so true,And I am guilty of not always heeding them .........-try to relax as much as possible around him- we love Dexter so much and I'm sometimes over anxious to get everything right and need to relax more and just enjoy him :D.love to see pics.we were all talking over the last couple of days about the program The Secret Life of Dogs...did you see it?
    Best Wishes
    Angela

8. newburymark

Hi Angela,

Unfortunately I didn't watch it, was it good? I've been reading various articles on this website over the past weeks and thought it would be interesting to share my experiences with the rest of you. Hopefully everything experienced will be perfectly normal, I can't wait!

9. Dexter

There's a YouTube link on one of the other threads ,ill have a look for you..it is really good

10. Dexter

11. newburymark

Thank you! :)

12. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Hello from me and Otis, four month old chocky lab. You are in for so much fun, they are adorable when they are so small. Love the name Monty. Yep relax and enjoy that's the best advice. Cant wait to see the pics. maggiex

13. clean_toothbrush

clean_toothbrush Registered Users

Welcome Mark. We are approaching 5 weeks with our first puppy, a Chocolate Lab we called Zoe. She was exactly 8 weeks old when we picked her up. We would not have survived a week without this forum. The members have a wealth of knowledge on every topic you can think of. Perhaps just as important is the moral support you will receive. Having people to share the triumphs and challenges you will experience with your new puppy will add to your experience. I am too new to offer any advice other than sleep now while you can!

14. newburymark

[quote author=clean_toothbrush link=topic=2283.msg21284#msg21284 date=1376667939]
    Welcome Mark. We are approaching 5 weeks with our first puppy, a Chocolate Lab we called Zoe. She was exactly 8 weeks old when we picked her up. We would not have survived a week without this forum. The members have a wealth of knowledge on every topic you can think of. Perhaps just as important is the moral support you will receive. Having people to share the triumphs and challenges you will experience with your new puppy will add to your experience. I am too new to offer any advice other than sleep now while you can!
    [/quote]

Haha thanks! Well I do enjoy my sleep so I might have to take some time out over the next 4 weeks and store it up!

15. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

[quote author=clean_toothbrush link=topic=2283.msg21284#msg21284 date=1376667939]
    [/quote]

I couldn't have put it better myself! :)

We (my fiancé and I) have. Yellow lab called Dexter. He's 11 weeks old on Monday and been home 2 weeks tomorrow. You're in a similar position to us, we picked Dexter when he was eight days old. Some may say crazy and we were lucky but we feel lucky to have seen him grow up until he came home ;D

The first day I was left with Dexter (his third day at home) I cried :-[ I was thinking what have we done? Was it too soon (After three years of planning!) which I felt awful even thinking of! But with advice from the forum, main website and family and friends its getting easier. It's my fiancé and I's first dog and I thoroughly advise getting a routine together for the day :) It will be good for you and Monty :)

16. newburymark

[quote author=NNorris13 link=topic=2283.msg21288#msg21288 date=1376669448]
    [/quote]

I couldn't have put it better myself! :)

We (my fiancé and I) have. Yellow lab called Dexter. He's 11 weeks old on Monday and been home 2 weeks tomorrow. You're in a similar position to us, we picked Dexter when he was eight days old. Some may say crazy and we were lucky but we feel lucky to have seen him grow up until he came home ;D

The first day I was left with Dexter (his third day at home) I cried :-[ I was thinking what have we done? Was it too soon (After three years of planning!) which I felt awful even thinking of! But with advice from the forum, main website and family and friends its getting easier. It's my fiancé and I's first dog and I thoroughly advise getting a routine together for the day :) It will be good for you and Monty :)
    [/quote]

What was it that made you upset? The lack of sleep, the training?

17. NNorris13

I think being my first dog (no dogs in my family growing up) I just felt overwhelmed by it all doing it on my own whilst my fiancé was at work. I think I needed faith in myself more than anything. No tears since, it's hard at times. Today has been as I'm pretty tired but I wouldn't change it!

Don't let me put you off! Ha ha. It's hard work but so rewarding...watching him sleep! Ha ha ;D

This is Dexter..
    [​IMG]

Everyone on the forum loves photo's of their dogs, me included :D

18. newburymark

Ah fantastic, he looks awesome! (I'm sure that's easy for me to say though!) I'm glad it's getting better for you, how old is he now?

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Welcome to the forum from Poppy and me!

20. NNorris13

Ha ha, thanks. You'll love the whole experience!

Oh and forgot to say welcome! I'm new myself :)

Dexter is 11 weeks old on Monday. Vet said he's going to be a big 'un!