Necessary neutering

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by 20180815, Jan 18, 2017.

1. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Well my lab has one testicle that hasn't dropped and must be neutered as a result. The vet said we should get it done next month, at which point he'll be 7 months. I'm a bit worried this is too early, at the same time, thinking I should follow the vet's advice. Thoughts?

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

A friend's little grandson had an undescended testicle and was operated on to bring it down. Poor kid, she told us this when we met at lunch and the poor little boy was there hearing her tell strangers to him all about this. He was eight years old. However, if we do this for people I've always wondered why it isn't an option for pets? Get a second Vet opinion?

3. 20180815

20180815 Guest

This is our second vet after having moved and they've both said the same thing :/

4. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

I think its pretty standard veterinary recommendation when this happens. I understand your reservations, I'd feel the same and ideally wait until he's done growing. Under the circumstances, you should probably follow the vets' advice, best thing for Beau.
    Good luck, bless him.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What is the danger if it remains as is? I know long-term it's cancer, but that's incredibly unlikely to happen before maturity, so can't it wait? Did your vet say what the immediate danger was?

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You could probably leave him until he is 12 months, the testicle may descend by then although it all depends where it is at the moment?

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That would be my thoughts to be honest.
    (Basing this as ever on human medicine)
    Although I guess testicular cancer is more common in young men than older men, by far. As in 20s and 30s. So I guess maybe in dog terms that is early adulthood so a testicle-ectomy before 12-18 months might equate, make sense?
    I've always wondered why the bringing down and fixing isn't an option either (orchidopexy). I was guessing it is size.

Poor Beau. A man's got to do what a man's gotta do......

8. Aimee Lawrence

Aimee Lawrence Registered Users

Thor has exactly the same issue, they don't have a clue where the other one is and say this will make the procedure far more complicated. We were never planning to breed him so long term it doesn't affect anything like that, but the concern around doing it too early is at the forefront. Our vets recommended neutering at 6 months but we are going to take the hopefully small risk of waiting a while longer to ensure he can more fully develop. It's a difficult balancing act but I've read a lot about the difficulties neutering early can cause.

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I read a veterinary article where it said the testicle is unlikely to descend after six months and the dog should be neutered before four years of age, so I think you could leave him until he is at least a year old. There is a danger of the spermatic cord twisting though and cutting off the blood supply to the testicle which is very painful.

10. 20180815

20180815 Guest

After speaking with the vet, it seems that the increased risk will be later in his life so waiting until 12 months shouldn't pose a risk. I think it's worth it for his development sake, as you said Aimee, it's a balancing act.

charlie, drjs@5 and Stacia like this.
  11. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great, I agree SilverFalcon.

One of our Guide Dog pups, with a PW friend of mine, was down to become a stud dog when this happened to him - his career had to do a u-turn, he was neutered (at 12 months) and is now training to become a Guide Dog - a working life for him after all lol.

:)

20180815 likes this.
  12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good news.
    *phew*

20180815 likes this.