No Blue Tits this year, but...

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by JAYMZ, Mar 17, 2016.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Oohhh first duck breeding/keeping lessons. Now geese! You've got to love this forum! It's not just about poo (just mostly about poo)

MF, snowbunny, drjs@5 and 1 other person like this.
  2. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

Sorry, I've been AWOL for a couple of years!

We had nine goslings and sold a couple. One died :(

Then unfortunately, last summer, all of our females contracted Aspergillosis due to a bad batch of straw and died. It was really awful. It's a fungus in the straw that gets into their lungs and kills them slowly. Only affected the females because they were all laying at the time so spending a lot of time in the house.

We're left with the original male, George and one of his sons, Arthur. It's sad for them, because they pair for life. We'll get some more females later this year to keep them company.

Life and death on a farm I suppose. We were absolutely distraught and spent a fortune on vets and medicine. The local farmers just didn't understand it, but we love all our animals.

Better news however... I built some owl boxes and we have Barn Owls in one. Bad news is I didn't expect them so quickly, so hadn't transferred the remote camera into the box!

drjs@5, MF and edzbird like this.
  3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Sad for your geese Jaymz.

Here's some Barn Owls on camera from Manx BirdLife until we get yours next year..
    http://manxbirdlife.im/manx-birds/owl-cam/

Still waiting for the Blue Tits in our garden to make up their minds - we have 2 boxes again, each with a camera. One has a roosting bird over night, the other has nothing. It's still very cold. If we DO get a nest, we will put a trailcam up too. (The trailcam is currently on rat-watch under the shed.

drjs@5, selina27 and MF like this.
  4. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

Our Great Tits only started nesting in the box yesterday so don't panic yet!

drjs@5 likes this.