Parrots!

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Diana, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Diana

Diana Registered Users

As well as our two dogs Springer Max and GR Arthur we keep parrots. They have been a hobby of mine for years.
    We have a Blue Front Amazon, 3 Senegals 3 Moustached Parakeets (mum, dad & chic - well he's 6 now!)
    Also an old goldfish and a stray outside cat who has made himself at home in the barn where he gets fed, has a comfy bed and comes & goes as he pleases.
    Long time back we kept and bred chickens - only for eggs though, they became pets!

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah your place sounds like the place to be! Bet that little gang keep you busy?
    We have a member Roz (MadMudMob) who had a big interest in parrots too,I'm not sure if she still,keeps them now.......

3. Diana

Diana Registered Users

Would that be Roz who moved the Jersey C.I. this year??

4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Oooh lovely!
    I miss our parrots, we kept and bred them for about 25yrs, mainly African Greys, but a lot of different Conures and Quakers too. We also had a pair of Moustached and still have the plaque we were presented with for being the Foreign Bird League's first members to breed them, goodness that was many moons ago! These days we're down to 3 chickens, 9 Koi carp and the 2 dogs. :)

5. Diana

Diana Registered Users

Yes I bet you do miss them they are addictive!
    Not many Moustached around these days, not popular I guess but greys are. We did have a grey and an LSC, plus various others years ago. We are members of the PS have been for approx 30yrs now, used to be quite involved.
    I am a mod on the parrot club forum, so keep in touch with many parroty peeps.

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I have no idea Diana x

7. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Lol We were members of the Parrot Society too and also had a LSC for many years. Bonny was a real character but we had to rehome her when we moved into town, didn't think the neighbours would appreciate her screaming spells. We've always regretted that decision.
    Do the PS still hold their big sale at Stafford? We used to tow the caravan up and stay the weekend, loved it!

8. Diana

Diana Registered Users

Yes they do Mandy have a look at their website for the dates, but the biggest one is in Oct, although now they hold one in the Spring and I think there's one this Sunday.
    Too far to go from here, was okay when we lived in London but since coming here only went once it was 5hrs drive each way, we couldn't not stay overnight anywhere as need someone to stay here to look after dogs, parrots etc.
    Never mind - we have our memories!

9. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Much as we'd love to go, we have the same problem as you, having no one to look after the dogs etc. Back then my lovely Mum (RIP) would move in for the weekend and act as zookeeper, she loved it.
    As you say.... good memories.:)