Please read - important site announcement

Discussion in 'Information and Announcements' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Jan 9, 2014.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Well, we have been working behind the scenes to get the Labrador Site and these forums back up and running and we’d like to apologise to all of you for the downtime over the last 24 hours.

More importantly, we’d like to tell you about our plans for making sure that the resources available on the main website and on these forums, are reliably accessible in the future.

[size=14pt]Bigger and bigger![/size]

As you all know, The Labrador Site is growing very fast. We are now topping a quarter of a million visitors each and every month.

We are a small family team (me, my daughters, and son-in-law) and this means that sometimes, there is no-one monitoring the website for problems, as happened yesterday when we were all out for the day.

This obviously needs to change.

[size=14pt]Managed hosting[/size]

The Labrador Site uses the excellent wordpress content management system, and so we are now going to move the site over to managed hosting by a company that specializes in managing wordpress sites.

We’ll tell you more about that soon, but the company we have chosen manages some of the busiest blogs in the world, and we are confident that they will provide better performance for the website than we have been able to on our own.

[size=14pt]A separate forum[/size]

What this does mean, is that the forum will now need a new home, as the wordpress management company cannot provide comprehensive forum support.

So, I have purchased a special domain which will be dedicated to the forum and we will be moving the forum over to that shortly.

All your posts and forum information will be transferred together and there should be no loss of data during this process, but we will keep you updated before, during and after the transition.

In the long run this should benefit the forum, which will have more space to grow and expand, and if either the forum or the main site experience problems, neither will affect the other.

Once again, my apologies for the interruption, and we will keep you updated with any changes as we make them.

If you have any questions, do shout :)

Pippa

2. pippa@labforumHQ

Re: Please read - important site announcement

Bump - for afternoon visitors :)

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Thank you for this fantastic website. It has helped me so much and made me feel welcome, so thank you ;D

4. pippa@labforumHQ

Thanks Naya, glad you have found it helpful :)

5. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=3941.msg45864#msg45864 date=1389376705]
    Thank you for this fantastic website. It has helped me so much and made me feel welcome, so thank you ;D
    [/quote]
    same goes from me .... absolutely outstanding forum in both information, sense of community and friendliness. So glad I found you!

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You know, MMM
    I think you hit the nail on the head there.
    Its the feeling that you are part of a community that makes this work so well.
    And having a great source of help and information from those who are both very experienced and those just feeling their way but willing to give their experiences. We learn after all not just from our own mistakes, but the mistakes of others too (once we are over a certain age ;) )

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Totally agree and I love the humour and topics not about dogs too. But of course for always answering my endless questions ::) and YES I am LEARNING sLoWlY just like
    Charlie ::) x