Scared of One Person

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by edzbird, Oct 21, 2016.

1. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

I'm laughing at this, but it's not really funny. OH's parents have come to stay for the weekend - I HATE sharing my house with anyone and their weird habits & behavious.

Coco really does NOT like his father (who is a dog lover). He is very, very wary, will not take his eyes off him, cowers behind anyone else, backs off when approached by him, barks & raises his hackles. He has never mistreated Coco, all I can guess is he reminds him of a person who was once cruel to him - I had a tale from his previous owner who had to foster him out to a man who hit him.

As I said, it's not really funny. We tried him offering a favourite biscuit, Coco wouldn't come and take it. He broke a bit off and tossed it to him. Coco ate that. He offered the rest of it, Coco couldn't resist, he gingerly stepped forward, took it then quickly went to the other end of the room to eat it.

It's so odd seeing him like this, Coco usually loves everyone to bits.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Aw, poor Coco. I'm sure if he continues tossing food to him, your boy will learn to associate your FIL with good things in time. Just don't expect it to be too soon, and don't pressure him (I know you won't, but sometimes people are so desperate to be loved by dogs that they can be a bit OTT).

Good luck for the weekend. Wine is your friend. :)

edzbird likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Whatever it was it really made him scared. So sorry about it. My friends lovely rescue Solomon had a real fear to the point of urination and collapsing of sticks brooms umberellas police battons (they are both police officers) and Mops. They started slowly just dropping tasty treats around these objects and progressed to actually holding them. When we used to visit we would pick up a stick by the door and treats. It did work he is really good now but he is 13 and this all happened when they first had him about 11 years ago. Arm your father in law with a bag of treats? Get him just to throw them gently from a distance without pressurising him just do it really slowly reducing the space until He gets closer. Its time consuming and frustrating but it does work . Coco is a clever boy, he's achieved so much it's sad that things can still upset him.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I would also suggest you ask your FIL not to stare at Coco. People who are trying to coax a nervous dog to them often stare quite intently at them (perfectly benignly) and the dog can interpret this as being quite aggressive. Ask him to look away, and always stand side-on to Coco to be less threatening.

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Glad they've gone!

Impossible to get FIL not to stare at Coco, no matter how many times I said "turn your head sideways", he would look straight at him and try & coax him over, time and time again :mad:.
    We did have him giving Coco his tea & supper, and he took tit bits of cheese from him (at the table!), but retreated immediately. He would even lie at his feet.

It was horrible seeing Coco so scared, he's always such a confident and bouncy chap.