Season or not...season or not....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by JulieT, Nov 30, 2016.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have read this about a first season, yes. It really does make me wonder....

2. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

@Indy Can they have the first season without their lady parts being swollen?

3. lynda-Lola

lynda-Lola Registered Users

Lola is 15 months and has just come into her first season. I noticed her cleaning her self more in the last few days and then I've seen a couple of spots of blood. If I hadn't seen the blood, I'd not had known Lola was in season as I can't notice a difference in her girlie bits at all.

All this happened yesterday after I'd been for an early morning jog with Lola in the dark. We didn't meet any other dogs until the end and then passed about 5 dogs walking in the opposite direction but any interaction (brief sniff) was all she could do.

Lola seems a bit more lethargic this morning and is still cleaning a lot but I'd don't know how long it lasts. Also, I'm not sure about a walk or not (on the lead) as I've read differing suggestions.
    Lynda

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I intend to walk Betsy on lead and on pavements when she is in season - I'll stay on the streets around my house. Although we'll see some other dogs, we can cross over the road etc. it's not so busy that I think I'll have a problem. I'll see, anyway.

5. Indy

Indy Registered Users

In my experience sometimes you would never know if they had been in season.
    Indy did not have a proper season until she was 15 months old, I still believe she had one earlier that we missed.

Julie,
    We still walk our dogs on lead when in season, but we do not come across many dogs.
    The one place I would not take a bitch in season is to a training class or to a shoot when the dogs are running free.(common sense really)

Believe me the dogs on a shoot will tell you when a bitch is nearing her season, they cannot concentrate on their job, sends them crazy.

DebzC likes this.
  6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So Charlie's interest in Betsy's bottom continues. But I don't think she can be in season - because we just tell him to stop and he does. He is not remotely distressed if she is in the same room but in her crate. Not distracted at all, really. Just every time she walks past her bottom seems to drag his nose round to meet it!

He's not like this normally, or with other bitches - well, he's an entire boy so sure he'll take the opportunity to sniff a girl's bottom, what self respecting boy wouldn't? But not to an annoying degree.

I don't know what to do really. They are never left alone, so I guess carry on as normal I suppose until something changes.

7. Indy

Indy Registered Users

It is still a possibility that she is having a first season, but it might be that she is starting to mature and Charlie is noting that.
    After all Charlie is still quite imature (I take it he has not been used on a bitch),an experienced stud would tell you one way or another.

Another aspect is if Charlie sniffed a bitches bottom if she was not ready, he would get a good telling off.
    Bitches are quite naughty little Slu** when they are ready, they will go looking for a nice boy. Anywhere LOL.

8. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Casper who is our older lab, has become more interested in Bramble. I think though it's because Bramble herself has become more mature and less of an annoying puppy :)

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I think you might find that male dogs will scent where Betsy has walked and find their way to your house! However, there aren't many (any!) dogs who are free to walk where they want these days, so you may be lucky.

10. lynda-Lola

It's now two weeks since the bleeding started. Lola's girlie bits are definitely enlarged and the bleeding has reduced to very little.

I've kept Lola on the lead if there are any other dogs around and she's only loose very early and in areas with no other dogs (although we have bumped into the odd one or two dogs and then it's been a challenge to get her back!).

im not sure how long the season will last -think I read 3 weeks but is there any way to be sure she's over it?
    Lynda

11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

This third week will be when she is fertile so do keep her on lead till the end of it. She may be as keen to mate as a male is with her, so letting her off lead really isn't a good idea!

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

More so! The only trouble that I've had (in terms of owning an entire male) with bitches in season is when they have legged it away from their owners to bother me and Charlie! Charlie has never legged it to a bitch in heat!

13. lynda-Lola

Thanks Joy and Julie...Lola's staying firmly on the lead at all times!

JulieT likes this.
  14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Charlie was right. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, Charlie started to get very annoying with Betsy's bum dragging his nose towards it like a magnet. Today, he was even more annoying. We decided that they would have to be separated, because her season was obviously very close. As we were training her to jump up onto a new bed, so she could sleep in a different room to Charlie, we noticed a tiny spot of discharge on the duvet cover.

Her vulva is not swollen at all. There has been no change in her behaviour at all, and despite me pressing white kitchen roll to her girl bits several times a day, no discharge up until now.

As predicted, Charlie really was the first to know.

So glad that she got a good beach run yesterday, and a lovely long walk across the fields tonight, because I guess we are on very early street lead walks from now on.

Sort of good that I'm in Cornwall, because OH will come and get Charlie, and Betsy and I will have a little girly holiday. Not massively convenient work-wise, but hey - it was never going to be!

Karen, Dexter, Cath and 2 others like this.
  15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

shame for Charlie.
    I'm sure Dad will compensate for his disappointment

JulieT likes this.
  16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, he doesn't have to leave right away. :) He is frustrated if Betsy is close - as in on the same sofa - but ok if she is in her crate. Obviously, they will not be close together, and my friend will take Betsy, and I'll take Charlie, tonight and we'll keep them separated and won't be taking chances.

But he isn't howling the place down, he's on his back on the sofa getting tummy rubs. :rolleyes: He'll be whisked off back to London by the end of the week though. Plenty of time for a few beach trips....:)

drjs@5 likes this.
  17. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Oh Betsy, you're growing up :inlove:

So, um, I have a question... If there was an accident and Charlie or another entire dog somehow managed to get to Betsy (obviously I'm not suggesting this would happen as I know how well planned you are and could imagine what lengths you would go to in order to prevent another dog getting to her :)) how quickly is the deed actually doneo_O? Is there enough time to separate the dogs and prevent potential pregnancy or is it something that's over very quickly so any interaction is a real risk?

This obviously completely ignores any other issues, I just wasn't sure of the "mechanics" of it all.

18. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Er can't really help Emily but I Think it's quite quick....when Dexter used to play hump with excitement,he mounted quick ....and my friend's dog came into season and despite being neutered he was straight on her....shameful! I'm needing to add,I always do my utmost for no humping action to occur ....I prevent or interrupt immediately so I know how quick you need to be!
    Julie,good luck ,I know you've been watching and waiting carefully for a while....glad Charlie doesn't seem rattled by it and I hope Betsy doesn't feel too pulled about

19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

In my experience, once a male dog has worked out what a season is, he will be very keen to get to a bitch in heat. Poppy on the other hand has never shown any interest in running away to get to a dog.

You can stop a dog and bitch mating - the most effective way is to grab the male dog by the collar and put him on a lead and then take him back to the owner (been there, done that :rolleyes:). Apparently, in extremis you can grab your bitch and hold her between your legs, cupping her vulva in your hand. The male dog may try to hump you (yuk yuk yuk) and your hand may get some unwanted attention (EVEN MORE YUK!!), but this will stop actual penetration.

Once the mating is underway though, it is difficult and potentially dangerous to the dogs to try to separate them. The male's penis does not retract quickly, it swells so that the two are 'tied' together for up to 30 minutes. You then just have to wait it out - trying to separate them can damage both the male and the female. In this case, if a pregnancy is absolutely to be avoided (if they are brother and sister for instance, or if the bitch's health prohibits a pregnancy and/or birth, or if the puppies were likely to be unhealthy) then there is a 'morning-after' pill the vet can administer. This is pretty powerful though, and not great for the health of the bitch - so obviously, avoidance is the key.

Sounds like you've got everything under control Julie :). Good luck!

20. Emily

Emily Registered Users

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow, that's actually really interesting. Thanks for explaining Karen :)

Karen likes this.