Suggestion for older owners

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pup-pup, Sep 17, 2016.

1. MF

MF Registered Users

This morning I tried your method. Thank you for describing it so well. Okay, I do NOT have the strength!! Although of course I wasn't in an emergency situation where I would muster up the strength no matter what. Also, was afraid I'd do my back in (I stupidly lifted a tumbledryer 10 years ago (I was very fit, cycled a lot) and injured my lumbar region -- never had it seen to, but aches every now and then).

Snowie found the whole exercise rather amusing, tail wagging away. But he made no attempt to make himself lighter! In fact, it felt like he was increasing the pull of gravity cos he felt like a ton of lead. I didn't actually get his feet off the ground (also afraid I might injure his back), but at least I know how to do it.

I remember when he was a puppy I was instructed not to pick him up with my arm under his tummy, that this is how puppies often get their tummies bruised.

2. pup-pup

pup-pup Registered Users

Another thing that makes me a little nervous is when she is racing around with doggie friends. They always seem to want to spin around and crowd me or when they're chasing each other full speed they come as close to me as possible without bowling me over.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm 60 next July and keen to keep puppy walking as long as I humanly can.

To this end, I am going to the gym every day doing cardio and weight bearing exercises. I've given up sugar as I'm trying hard to lose a stone, so that - hopefully - Boogieville Mansions will be hearing the sound of tiny puppy paws for some years to come.

:)

drjs@5 likes this.
  4. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

You have a COOPER girl and I have a COOPER boy!!! How about that. Yours weighs 85 and mine 96 (and I have him on a diet!!)....actually, he is giving me a hard time with his kibble...doesn't want to eat breakfast. Which, in a way,is his decision to diet,right?!!!!
    I have come to the conclusion that a harness that buckles in the front of his chest is the easiest way to have him on leash and walk him. He is more under control,so to speak. We are not allowed (by law) to have our dogs off leash. Some of us get sneaky and manage it but if the dog officer is around we could be in trouble!

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Mags,you are a baby in my eyes!!! But I agree with you....I had my two knees replaced these past few months just so I can walk Cooper.So I know what you mean about heekp puppy walking as long as humanly possible. As Betty Davis said "getting older is not for sissy's". Guess not!!! But we can fight it all the way!

6. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

That should be KEEP not heekp!!!!

7. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

LOL, here's a comment from some ladies with their dogs near me at an obedience match. They were both well older than me. Lady #1 had large breed dogs, Lady #2 had small dogs but apparently had big dogs before as Lady #1 said to her, "Oh, you've gone to a smaller breed." Lady #2 replied, "Yes, I'm getting older and the smaller ones are easier to handle." Lady #1 answered, "But now you have to bend over further and more often." :)

drjs@5, Emily_BabbelHund, MF and 4 others like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I not totally ok physically and can't remember I time when I was I,m just Me as I am. I just found ways to get round things like most people, but i find if i pick up and lift a 34 kg lab my bladder neatly gives out. Honestly nearly wet myself everytime

drjs@5 likes this.
  9. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

You are sooo funny!.....there is no way I could lift Cooper....96 pounds....no way at all! Wet myself or not....Believe my back would crack in half.....I've always loved Labs but never had a dog of my own....always worked until I retired and then I traveled.....but when I decided to have a dog, it had to be a Lab. We all know how wonderful they are BUT I also wanted to be able to SEE my dog and not trip over it! A little dog would be dangerous....a tripping machine!
    As to handling Cooper and not have him pull me like a water-skier, that is up to me to train him (and me).

10. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Rottie people always say, 'Don't forget to bend your knees!". Keeps your centre of gravity lower and if they do slam into you, there's less chance of your knees getting damaged or getting bowled over. I imagine it works for spinning Labs too! :)

FayRose likes this.
  11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Sometimes a big, strong dog that pulls can be an advantage! When recuperating from 2 broken legs, I slipped down a bank, I was a bit ambitious, watching Benson who was off lead and not where I was going. I had gone slightly of the beaten track so no-one was around. I just couldn't get up. Benson came over, I said to him quite conversationally, now know I ask you not to pull...but now I really need you to pull. I put his lead on, luckily he had his Ruffwear harness on. He gently he pulled. Eventually I got up, quite shaken and emotional. Benson he just pottered for more sniffs and smells...don't think a Dachshund would've been been much good though!

MF, drjs@5, FayRose and 1 other person like this.
  12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh yes!

Twiglet knocked me over four times before I learned to bend my knees!

(My bones must be OK, nothing broken any of the times!)

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  13. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Trained all mine to pull me out of trouble. I also trained them to stand so I can hold on to them a regain my balance. The have harnesses which are easy for me to grip. Doug and Rory are /were good at it but moo is just too small.if its slippy they will walk by my side. Rory is just getting it it's so sweet watching him get it

14. Snowshoe

What about hearing loss in the owner? Most of my family has gone deaf, some quite profoundly, some pretty young. This morning I have a heads up as to what it might be like with a cold and my ears all clogged up. We explored a new trail a logging crew has cut into the bush, hoping it might link to trails they laid slash over last year that we couldn't find again. Nope, and this morning we went slogging through bush till we found a trail again. Along the way I realized how much I depend on my hearing to keep track of the dog. He'd dive off into bush and I couldn't hear him. I know from experience he is probably close but the undergrowth is dense enough I can't see him, so I rely on hearing him. No more off trail walking for hearing impaired owners? What do you do? I imagine when it gets to the point both of us are hearing impaired off trail in bush will definitely be out of the question but for now, today, it's only me that can't hear well.

15. pup-pup

pup-pup Registered Users

I was out in the woods with people training a search and rescue dog. The dog had a gps collar on and the handler could track the dog's path through the woods with a hand held device. I wonder if it would be helpful for people with hearing loss or vanishing dogs.

MF likes this.
  16. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

@Snowshoe, like @pup-pup said, many dog walkers here use GPS tracking for dogs (especially the larger companies that have many walkers and tons of dogs out daily) - could be a great option.

17. Snowshoe

LOL, should have thought of that. I even had my mapping GPS with me, to map the new trail. It would be a different collar and aerial for the dog, and a different GPS unit. Hmmm, a friend no longer runs his coonhounds, wonder what happened to the collar he had. Or, a neighbour always has a bear bell on her dog. I only put one on in shotgun season for deer but maybe I could use it all year as she does.

18. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper is 85# and pretty trim. She is taller than the U.S. breed standard. I don't think I could pick her up without some sort of sling.

We have a lot of places that are designated off leash, and a lot of others where it is not strictly legal , but no one really cares as long as the dog is under control and not causing problems.