The appointment is made.....

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Dexter, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sunday 6th October.....8am our boy goes in to get the end of his tail amputated( that was the word used :eek:,wail ,wail, :'( :'( :'()AND after much soul searching,reading,little bit more wailing we are going ahead with getting Dexter neutered .......we know it makes sense and I know I am being totally silly bit I feel so cruel.He's lying on my feet while I'm writing this and I've got tears flowing,I'm so stupid!i was still in a waver over it up until yesterday but I was given a sign!We came across a bitch we know ( off lead :-\) and Dexter was more than a little interested.We'd had a charge and a recall fail last week with this dog,so I anticipated it yesterday and called him back successfully and popped him on the lead and she was then allowed to do a charge to us......with her owner meters away on the horizon....I let Dex off before I realised ,thank goodness I did....could have been a disaster,and that I think was The God of the Gonnads sending me a sign!
    So we are all set,the current set of guests I have at the moment leave and I have 18 days until the next lot so plenty of recovery time and a couple of days of normality.....poor fella.cant help but feeling we are being mean to him but I can't waste an opportunity when he wil be having an anesthetic.
    He's such a lovely natured boy I hope nothing changes :'( :'( :'(

2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Re: The appointment is made.....

He will be fine, Angela. I have all three of my dogs neutered and honestly have not noticed any difference in them between before and after....except I would say it definitely helped with toning down Simba's humping, which is a good thing in my opinion! ::)

Sorry to hear about the tail, but hopefully this will do the trick and stop the problem.

You are doing what is best for your boy, so no need for tears!! :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So sorry to hear about Dex's tail - hopefully he'll just lose a bit? He's got so much wag, he's not going to notice. :)

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I felt very upset over the last dog I had neutered. It isn't rational, I know, but you can't help it. Like Lisa, I have noticed no difference in temperament in male dogs after neutering. He won't mind at all, and he will be bright and bouncy again very quickly.

The amputation can be quite painful afterwards so it is important to make sure you give him his painkillers as directed.

Hope he is back to normal nice and swiftly.

Pippa

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh poor lad, ( re the tail )but it seems the best thing really . I too can understand re the neutering Angela , I was in pieces when Sam was done and now facing Millies spay brings me to tears too , its just because we love them so much xx

6. Dexter

Thankyou everybody,you are all so kind and I really appreciate it.
    I stopped going on about his tail because there was nothing new to tell.last week we had 4 successful unprotected days,then on Wednesday,I just didn't catch it fast enough and one thump and it was split :'( it's not fair Dex wagging around with a plastic syringe on his tail and the alternative is Chris and I ALWAYS having to manually buffer it between hard surfaces and whilst we aren't bad at doing it,it's not how we want to live with him...and it is actually impossible as we have proven.
    My friend who is staying at the mo brought the comfy cone over so hopefully that will be easier than the hard plastic one.tomorrow I'll start trying him with it for short periods .
    Pippa,thankyou,I will be scrupulous with the care of both operation sites but his tail in particular,and he will be kept as absolutely pain free as I can do :'( :'( :'( hate to think of him hurting but we'll love him to bits to make it as easy on him as we can.
    Thanks for all your patience and indulgence with this.....hopefully it truly will be the End of the Tail Tale! Xxxx

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Poor Dex and poor you....such difficult choices but you're doing right by him in every way and it will all be a distant memory soon for you and the beautiful Dexter :)

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Hi Angela
    Poor Dex but you are definitely doing the right thing.

If I didn't have the problem of very licky dogs and them being in a kennel I would've had my two neutered as soon as they were old enough from past experience.

I didn't have my old lab neutered. When he got to 9 he started having problems with his prostate which caused blood to come out of where it shouldn't if you get my drift.

After a couple of hormone injections the vet recommended having him neutered.

The poor lad had been cleaning and looking after them for 9 years only to have them taken away. :( ;D

So although it might seem cruel it's better sooner rather than later.

Good luck you won't be able to help it but don't worry.

Jen

9. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

angela i have tears in my eyes at how upset you are :'(
    you are doing the right thing, :)
    dexter needs to have his tail done, its to upsetting the way things are at the moment :'(
    i wont be on the site on the 6th, so i am now going to send you chris and dexter all my love and best whishes :'(
    try not to get to upset,.....you will all be fine, dexter as the best love and care that he could wish for, he is a very lucky boy to have found a very loving forever home :*

big big hugs to you all from auntie lynne and best mate jasper :* :* :* :* :*

will be thinking of you all :*

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

:(
    You ARE doing the right thing Angela. Try not to worry xx

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Angela, I can feel your anguish, but like everyone has said this seems to be the best solution for poor Dexter's tail. It will still wag as it always has, just minus a tiny bit, as for the other removal, well what can I say - he won't miss them!! Keep smiling as you always do and get ready to be Nurse Angela :)
    Helen xxx

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Dexter, I felt just like you re castrating my dog, can't think why as I have had two previous dogs castrated without a thought! I just didn't want Rourke done and held out until he was 18 months old, then the discharge was making a mess in the house, so I suddenly made my mind up.

The op was perfect, a very small wound, about 1" with no exterior stitches, no bruising and no swelling. (My previous dog had tremendous bruising and swelling). The first evening Rourke was restless and whining, think he was hungry, I had given him a small meal, but he needed more and settled down after it. The next day he was 100% and the only difference is he is more lively!

I am more concerned about the part tail amputation, I have only seen one Lab have that operation. My GSP had to have more of her tail docked, not pleasant but she was eventually fine. Both my Labs tails' bleed but heal up until they knock them again!

13. Dexter

Stacia ,thankyou,while you've made me feel better about the castration :-\ ........tell me a bit more about the lab that had the op.and how much did they dock from your GSP.....
    What do you do you when your guys tails split ?just live
    with it ?c

14. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Big hugs from me, Angela. I totally agree that you are doing the right thing by having him neutered while he's under for the tail op. Neutering won't change him - he'll be exactly the same boy. But the ladies will be able to sleep safe ;) I do understand how you feel though. With my first boy dog, I had him booked in and then felt so bad that I cancelled it (even through I am strongly pro-neutering for pet dogs!), only to eventually book him in again. When he finally had it done he was absolutely fine. No cone, no licking and 100% normal the next day.

Obi is neutered too and says that balls are vastly over-rated.

15. bbrown

Obi wears eyeliner and wants a tiara........just sayin' not judgin' ;D

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=2761.msg28300#msg28300 date=1380663616]
    Obi wears eyeliner and wants a tiara........just sayin' not judgin' ;D
    [/quote]
    ROFL.

You do make a good point there, Barbara.....

17. bbrown

So post-op care may involve make-up and sparkles Angela 8)

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Angela, you do everything possible for Dexter, so don't beat yourself up! He won't miss the tip of his tail - or his balls. Honestly. And life will be easier for all three of you. Hugs, Karen xx

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Ouch Barbara!
    A little below the belt ? ;D ;D

20. Dexter

You lot are nuts.......whoops Dex,sorry I mean crazy!
    He he he,if sparkles,tiaras and a bit of Shirley Bassey cheer him up on Sunday he can have the lot!!
    Poor fellas going to have a horrible day today too,workmen coming in to fix a leak behind the wall where his crate is so his crate is in the lounge and he's a bit at sixes and sevens,looking at it and then looking at me as of to say What's that there for?.........