The Art and Science of Canine Behaviour - part one

Discussion in 'Books' started by JulieT, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Having had two Lab/GR pups now and observed many of them at puppy class, I find them a much easier 'breed' than pure Labs. They have the intelligence of GRs and the enthusiasm of Labs - which is a fabulous combination.

The pure Labs at puppy class are much more pully/loopy than the Lab/GRs 'tho just as many go on to graduate as guide dogs as the crosses do.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Rodents are mammals too, y'know ;)

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Great.....anymore votes for emotions in dogs and hamsters?????

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

6. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

You're talking about exceptional quality though aren't you? A show dog is one that's shown as a working dog is one that's worked.

I wonder if there's more opportunity to work than show and that skews perspective slightly as to how many working and show dogs there are. Also a dog that works and a dog that's well trained are not necessarily the same thing ;)

Riley is a working dog but even with an exceptional trainer I think he would be unlikely to win a trial. With me he's unlikely to even get in the awards at a test. A good trainer wouldn't have hung on to him as he doesn't have enough drive and isn't bold enough.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh yes, of course. It's always possible to get just about any dog placed say 4th in a class of 4, or 2 in a class of 2, at a local/small show - you could show any dog. I mean dogs that would be in with a shot at top 3 in champion show awards.

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Surely a good trainer is a trainer that gets the most out of a dog in line with its abilities? Maybe we could go further and say if a trainer just moves a dog on whenever s/he encounters a problem that would take a long time to solve, they will end up being good trainers of good dogs.

And the trainer that works her/his way through problems, learning as they go, ends up the better trainer?

9. bbrown

I think that's true.

When you have limited spaces for dogs though and your business/reputation relies on success you want to start off with the right raw material. I don't doubt some successful gundog trainers would do a better job of turning Riley into a gundog they would just choose not to as he won't do well enough to justify the effort. A bit like people who show dogs will sell on dogs that won't make the grade and hang on to the rest. I think in both spheres you see a reasonable amount of dogs kept til 6 months or so for breeders to make final choices as well as professional handlers running dogs on behalf of owners in both show and field.

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hard to imagine for pet owners like us, isn't it? I mean, our dogs are members of our family, we couldn't sell them on if they don't make the grade.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I find it difficult to imagine, yes.

12. bbrown

I've seen it often enough now not to find it hard to imagine but there's no way that would ever be happening in our house :D

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I was thinking....might you pop Obi into a few shows? Wouldn't it be interesting to see how he'd do in the show ring? I know, I know....but...just for fun?

14. bbrown

If his heelwork was ever up to it I'd consider it. I'm not sure my coiffing skills are up to it let alone my ringcraft !!

15. bbrown

Don't say it too loudly but Ziggy is a dual purpose Clumber ;) eh heidrun.....

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What????!!!! I think we should be told....:D:D:D

17. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I was trying to keep that very quite. Thanks Barbara!

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You can't leave it there.

19. bbrown

Sorry :(

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Oh well......now the cat is out of the bag and all that, give us the low down heidrun? Any pics? :):) You may as well....it's not like it's shameful to win in the show ring with a lovely dog! :D:D:D