The pupmobile

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Jan 9, 2014.

1. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Re: The pupmobile

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=3952.msg47058#msg47058 date=1389693693]
    Well, the good thing is that after that severe talking-to, your boy will be perfectly behaved on his next outing. Not sure which boy, but one of them will be.
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3952.msg46781#msg46781 date=1389634843]
    So, we got out in the pupmobile tonight. I can't say it went well. We walked half way across a small field, and back to the car. It took 30 minutes. He went nuts. I had my wonderful, wonderful, sensible and experienced dog walker with me and thank goodness. We had to take it in turns to hold him (he was on his thick, padded, back fastening harness, of course - again, and thank goodness). I honestly don't think I've seen a dog so badly behaved on a lead before. Anyway, we weren't really walking. We were progressing forward in the time it took us to stop and stand still. At the very end, we managed 3 x 10 steps of loose lead walking, with a cheese lure.

Part of me wants to cry at such dismal progress, and part of me is happy that we managed something at the end. Honestly, you would have thought this dog hadn't had one minute of training in his life.

[/quote]

Well, 2 weeks later and I have a little boast post on this! Ok, ok, it is only "walking and not going nuts" - but, it was the common, and we did manage to have a relatively civilised 20 minute walk.

Against that: we had our pockets stuffed with dried salmon strips, sea wraps, cheese and sea biscuits (no dinner for Charlie tonight); and he'd been to his treadmill this morning so was tired; and we went late, so only saw 2 other dogs and they were quite far away.

There was a lot of stopping and wafting of salmon and "let's see whether we can walk nicely to that tree/bench/bush Charlie". But still, we (me and wonderful dog walker, who has stuck with us through all of this) were pretty bloomin' pleased with ourselves.

:) :) :)

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

And so you should be ,well done .....reading back over your original post ( bless you x) Charlie didn't really know that life was changing,you've done so much work with him since then to adjust to his new circumstances and it's paying off ,hurray!big cheers from me,you've used this preparation time so wisely xxx

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That's just brilliant :) feeling a bit emotional about it :* well done lovely boy and fabulous work Julie!

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You've really set the gold standard for pre-op care and exercise. Brilliant job. :) Boast away - you have every right to.

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Yahoo!! You're doing so well, Julie, you should be pleased as punch. :)

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yup, pretty pleased. :)

Tiny, tiny steps though. ::)

New, exciting areas - particularly where he used to be off lead - are a big challenge. It's just not the same as when I had an exercised dog. We used to trot round the circuit we did today on a loose slip lead with not a bother on us, feeling smug at how pleased the gundog trainer was going to be with our lead walking. But that was after or before an hour off lead in games and retrieving. It's so different now!

8. Oberon

You'll get back there, and even better than before after all this work you have done. :)

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Ah Julie, you will be able to do all the things you did before with lovely Choc Charlie before you know it, and I bet the gundog trainer will be very pleased with how calm Charlie will be and how he walks beautifully to heel and so work will resume. Time passes quickly, look we are already at the end of January :eek: Hang in there xx

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So glad for you Julie :) good work Charlie :)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yippeeee!!

Big success tonight at the Common - totally civilised walk. We even walked passed a greyhound on the way back without fuss. (Both greyhound and his owner were elderly, and both wrapped up in coats against the weather, so Charlie maybe thought a play opportunity was unlikely, but still..).

I cheated a bit - we walked round the same bit of track until Charlie was sensible and remembered how to walk, then on one circuit we took in a corner of the wood, then a bit of the other field and so on. A rather obviously technique, I know, but not on that had occurred to me before. ::)

12. bbrown

Sounds brilliant!! Congratulations!!

Well done Charlie xxx

13. Dexter

Going from strength to strength Julie and Charlie,great job x

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

So pleased for you both Julie :)

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Fab going :D :D

16. Oberon

Terrific!!! :D

17. Dexter

Ah just seeing the title of this post makes me remember I WAS IN the Pupmobile last Sunday!...there's nothing in a week is there?another week closer Julie for Charlie's op,time is passing and you'll be out the other side of this before you know it x

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I know - when I posted I thought of that too!

2 weeks tomorrow for the op...then a really horrid few weeks where he gets to do nothing at all :'( but then we'll be on the up. I sort of feel even the horrid bit will be on the up too in a way though, sooner it starts the sooner it's over.

19. bbrown

Yup sooner it's done sooner you're on the other side getting better and back to having fun :)

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Off to the common now - and looking forward to it. :) :) :)

Only took 5 weeks... ::) they teach you patience these dogs, that's for sure.