The Summer is upon us!

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Dexter, May 23, 2014.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: The Summer is upon us!

This is exactly the problem I had with Obi..... As soon as we increased distance he lost it.

I think you have trained 'sit in a hoop on cue' but you need to increase the distance only about 5cm at a time. I would also ditch the yellow target as I think he's getting that he has to sit in the hoop.

It took us ages to increase the distance significantly....but it eventually started working. We had to do it in minute increments though.

I think that Dexter and Obi are very similar dogs and were probably twins separated at birth ;D

2. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Angela this is really interesting. I am having a similar problem with Milly and her matt training. From 2 metres she goes straight on and lays down fully on her matt. As soon as I extend the distance she goes onto her Matt but then keeps coming toward me until she is the same distance as before. But then she is no longer on her matt. I have been ignoring her and she will go back onto her matt sometimes and other times she just stares at me and I have to do something else to break the lack of following instruction I guess. As soon as I reduce the distance again she does it perfectly again. So I'm interested in hearing others ideas as well. Thanks for posting. I am stumped with what to do too.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Can't help - but just wanted to say super interesting! Loving the vids! :) :) :)

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=6167.msg98030#msg98030 date=1406627428]
    This is exactly the problem I had with Obi..... As soon as we increased distance he lost it.

[/quote]

Makes me feel a lot better ;D

I think you have trained 'sit in a hoop on cue' but you need to increase the distance only about 5cm at a time. I would also ditch the yellow target as I think he's getting that he has to sit in the hoop.

[/quote]

Righto,I trust you rather my solution ;D I'll do that

We had to do it in minute increments
    [/quote]

That makes me feel better ,with the breaks we've had for trips over the summer I've felt like this is taking ages but I'll stop being impatient and do a few sessions on it each day

I think that Dexter and Obi are very similar dogs and were probably twins separated at birth ;D
    [/quote]

I agree ,Dexter's speed completing tasks reminds me of Obi,Dex got short changed on the the eyeliner a bit though ;D
    Thanks Rachael and maybe that will help you Annette?...just shows,one step can be too big an increase so maybe just going slower with teeny tiny increases will help you with Milly?how is she today,I'm just getting on the forum so I'll pop over to your thread xxx

5. AnnetteB

Thanks Rachael. That does make sence. I have only been taking a small step but obviously that's still to big. I will work on this again tomorrow and experiment a little:)

6. Oberon

I think it just takes a lot of repetitions (over short sessions) with gradual increases in distance. This has taken us months...! I really don't know why. My previous dog picked it up in a couple of sessions. I do find that Obi is just not good at generalising. I mean, dogs in general aren't, but I think some are even worse then others. To some dogs, any small difference is HUGE and will be noted! You have to be really precise and consistent with your cues and change things slowly with these dogs. Otherwise they go "NOPE. That is TOTALLY different to anything I have ever seen before". That's my theory anyway! :)

7. Dexter

I feel such a fraud posting this in Training as we are so amateur....but I'm just so delighted and I've got no one else to tell as I'm home alone!'normal' friends just don't get it!
    IVE GOT A DOG THAT WILL RETREIVE A DUMMY ( ok it's a toy one ::) )

( Warning ,handlers legs and outfit are appalling :-[ )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/14613247900/

A Scurry it is not, but I am so happy that the retreive seems to have clicked ( ??? ;D) in the house,he gets all excited when he sees me get the dummy down out of the cupboard and he'll bring it back to me from everywhere,under the coffee table,under the dining table,he's even dropped it a couple of times and he stops and picks it up..... that is a big deal to us!

So I'm still carrying on with no steadiness whatsoever to keep him excited and interested .....but I am going to try and get a better hold.Chris is bringing me some hexabumper dummies back tonight so I'll start again with them.....I'm sorry I've drowned you with vids this week,I'll calm down a bit now Chris is nearly home ;D

Oh,oh ,he'll jump through his hoop too to get it and jump through again on the way back .....I won't make you all watch a video of that though ;)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yay! Yay! Brill!

That's great! Looking good Dex.

I love your videos, love them. Post away!

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I love watching your videos :) they give me lots of pointers as I've just brought Harley an agility set and want to train her to jump etc. Dexter is gorgeous ;)

10. AnnetteB

I think your vids are awesome. I get heaps of good ideas from you. Keep them coming I say.

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Fantastic Angela!!! :) But please note that your standards are slipping. Your toenails do NOT match your outfit… ;D ;D ;) ;)

12. Dexter

[quote author=Karen link=topic=6167.msg98654#msg98654 date=1406886372]
    Your toenails do NOT match your outfit… ;D ;D ;) ;)
    [/quote]
    He he he he....I have to get a grip!getting up at 5 am,there's very few people around amd I just pull something on.Theres very small chance of anyone popping round at the mo unexpectedly.....so Im forgetting what I look like.....then I see a video eeeeeeuuuuugh! Not good :eek:
    Good on you Ternaya,try and get some vids up too when you get started on the agility set,Harley will love it x

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Very good retrieving ;D Re the sending to the hoop, I think if you had Dexter sitting square at heel he would find it easier to go back in straight line and sit in the hoop and you could extend the distance with a hand command?

14. Dexter

Thanks Stacia,I'll try that,I know we have got a sloppy heel :-\ and that's totally my fault,I always think because we are doing things for 'fun' it's good enough,I'm so scared of taking the fun out of it for him and him losing interest...that is totally my lack of experience I think :-[ mind you,how much fun he's having being sent backwards and forwards between a hoop is debatable ,poor chap ;D
    I am using a hand command ,you just can't see me because I'm videoing myself and he understands it because if I don't speak and just do the hand signal he goes to the hoop.
    We will keep practising,I'm trying to get 3 sessions in a day at least x

15. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You can make coming to heel great fun, mine love it if we are doing it with treats, then going straight is fun as well :)

16. Dexter

Ok ,I'm going to get a lovely heel position!I might trial Julie's sardine dispenser invention to help me ;D

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I faffed for ages (in a broom cupboard at one point) to get a straight sit on my left (that's what heel means for us). We lost that during the recovering and walking madness, so I need to refresh it. I need to finish Charlie's physio first, because I want to also get a non sloppy straight sit on the place boards.

Angela, if you have Dex trained to a target stick, a nice "finish" when he approaches you (recall, or end of his jumps, or when he gives you a dummy) should be a doddle to train. Get him to do a stylish swish round and sit straight on your left by following a target stick. (In my dreams Charlie would be stylish, but Dex could be! ;D ;D ;D ).

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Mine jump round to heel with big grins on their faces ;D But only if they think a treat is in the offing. Otherwise they will happily come to heel but not with such verve!

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I think Dex is enjoying himself :)
    Well done!

I must admit to my eyes wandering at the end too, but not to the nail varnish, but thinking "Oo! is that a wine fridge?! :D

20. Oberon

Fab! Looks great!! :D

Dunno what is wrong with your attire. Beats my filthy tracksuit pants, t-shirt with the holes, mismatching socks and fur-covered fleece jacket.