Timing a stay

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by caroleb, Sep 2, 2011.

1. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

This may seem like a silly question but...

at what point do you start the clock on a stay? At grade one in the gun dog training labradors are asked to stay for 2 minutes. Our trainer has said we train to stay for 3 minutes then in the assessment two minutes is easy which makes sense. Until last week Rusty was managing a 45 second stay and we were charged with getting him to a minute by tomorrow (which we achieve this morning :) :) ) but then it occurred to me does it start when I say stay or from when I've retreated the required distance? If it's the latter then actually we're not at a minute after all...

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Timing a stay

Hi Carole

It is not a silly question at all.

I will try and find a copy of the handbook. Off the top of my head I can't remember for certain but I think the stay starts from when you leave the dog. Either way, if you train for a little extra, then you will have some leeway. :)

3. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

The assessors asked for clarification on this too. Basically we advised it is 2 minutes from when you leave the dog - but 'slow movers' who take ages to reach the marker may find their dog is asked to wait a little, to make up for it!!!

4. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Thanks Sam - we managed 1 minute 15 in class today very elegantly too - I was very proud - I know we've a way to go but we've come a long way too :D

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Well done! Thats great ;D

6. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

thanks Pippa ;D sadly the retrieve not going so well, Rusty just isn't very interested in the dummy. We tried him with a fur one today which he did pick up but he wants to play not come back so i've got my work cut out this week!