Unfinished Business!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Oct 14, 2016.

1. David

David Registered Users

I thought I saw an off-lead Spaniel in the field some distance away as I let Lady through the dog gate next to the style. This was the day before yesterday. It turned out to be a Staffordshire Bull Terrier crossed with something anonymous and I took the owner by surprise as she had let him off the lead thinking there were no other dogs around. He turned out to be a rescue dog with a lot of issues and he launched himself at Lady and attacked her. She was trapped against the fence screaming blue murder as the other dog tried to pin her but fortunately didn't actually bite. The owner pulled him off and Lady legged it. Profuse apologies and we had a chat about her dog that she'd had for a few weeks but try as she might she was finding out she just couldn't let him off lead because he seemed to pretty much every time attack other dogs. Anyway no harm done.

Well .......

Yesterday on the way back from our walk the Staffy-cross appeared out of the blue around a hedge a few yards in front of us but on the lead this time. Lady took one look and attacked!!!! I had no idea she had it in her. The most horrible growling rush at the other dog with lips raised. Fortunately I caught her by the collar just as she was launching herself at him.

I think it's called "Unfinished business to attend to". :eek:

Honestly she's the meekest mildest dog on four legs normally, but I think she either thought she'd get in first, or saw he was on a lead and vulnerable. This of course resulted in me profusely apologising and then another long chat about the rescue dog. I think his owner was starting to despair about the whole business as she'd clearly taken on something more than she wanted.

Anyway - good on you, Lady, for sticking up for yourself but please don't do it again! :oops:

Karen likes this.
  2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Wow, I bet that startled you! Poor Lady, what a fright she had. I don't suppose you would be able to arrange any safe interactions between the two to help Lady get over it....

I do feel for people who take on rescu dogs without the slightest idea of what they are taking on. I mean I guess I was in that spot with Simba but at least I had raised two dogs and had some idea that it might not be all sunshine and roses. Even so, it was a bit of a shock to deal with the issues he had, which really were fairly mild compared to what some people take on, like this lady.

3. David

David Registered Users

Yes I think safe interaction isn't an option really. Lady is pretty resilient and I doubt she's worrying about it. We've walked the same ground several times and she hasn't shown any anxiety.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I know it is unpopular to say - at least I've found it so in the past - but I am not a fan of bull breeds. There is a real backlash against Breed Specific Legislation at the moment, and it is now the done thing to claim Do Not Blame the Breed. Well, I'm not blaming the breed in that I think a skilled person can make a perfectly well behaved pet out of a Bull Terrier. A very skilled person can make a perfectly well behaved pet out of a rescue Bull Terrier. But....living in the UK most densely populated area for Bull Terriers, and experiencing them day in and day out, mainly owned by well meaning unskilled pet owners who believe they should adopt rescue dogs and the London rescue centres are overflowing with Bull Terriers....I'm pretty much in favour of Breed Specific Legislation.

I completely understand that humans have done this to these dogs. Yep, get that. Think it's despicable. The fact remains that a rescue Bull Terrier in unskilled hands is more likely than not to be dangerous to other dogs. IMHO.

David likes this.
  5. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Well, Lady and the Staffie are now even! I hope you don't come across them any more on your walks.

As for the Bully breeds debate, perhaps the problem lies with the shelters? How thoroughly are the dogs assessed before being put up for adoption? If a dog has problems that only a professional could be expected to resolve, then, as sad as it is, perhaps that dog should be pts. There are too many dogs in shelters as it is, so a line has to be drawn somewhere. The prevalence of "no kill" shelters probably isn't helping the problem either.

Lin and David like this.
  6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I am glad that Lady is ok and the other owner is not the type to blame your girl.

Harley did the same after she was attacked for the second time by a collie. When she seen him for the third time she got in there first. I managed to pull her away and no damage was done. Harley is also usually really good with other dogs, but I think she had enough of this particular dog. The only thing with Harley after was that she became a bit reactive to collies for quite a while. We had to do a lot of desensitisation work with her around collies and still put her on lead if I see a collie unless I know them.

David likes this.
  7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh dear.....
    Not nice for any of you.
    Hope one way or another you can all sort things out - at least if you are likely to bump into them again.
    Have to wonder what the rescue dog has had to contend with up to now.
    Clearly not a great situation.
    Hope Lady is fully recovered after a wee break.

David likes this.
  8. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Our first Lab, Ginger, was bitten by our neighbors GSD years ago. Not hurt badly but she did need a couple of stitches in the base of her tail. She took an instant dislike to all GSDs after that. Her hackles would go up and she acted like she was ready to fight any time she saw one, not just the one that bit her. She was just the opposite with other Labs. She was convinced they were all friendly, and they pretty much were.