what dog food do you give your dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by dogwalker, Jun 5, 2011.

1. dogwalker

dogwalker Guest

i give my 2 dogs dry food beta adult

2. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Re: what dog food do you give your dog

Raw food for us! Chicken and rabbit, mainly.

Sam

3. Nicpic

Nicpic Registered Users

Barking Heads :)

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

One is on Beta, one on Burns and one on Nature's Menu for Working Dog with Dean's biscuits!

The two GSPs had been on Skinners for years, but were not looking so good as they used to, so I changed to Beta and the one GSP started to scratch, I then discovered there was maize in Beta and she is allergic to maize. The Lab is on raw food as dried kibble seemed to make his excitability even worse. All three dogs now look very well.

Stacia

5. Highlandlass

Highlandlass Guest

My boys have Chudleys Working Crunch, green tripe, chicken and whatever isn't glued to the floor, they wouldn't dare touch the cat's dinner though - not sure if they're more concerned about the cat's wrath or my own!!

6. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Raw for mine. Rabbit, chicken, fish when the other half strikes lucky (lots of mackerel at the moment!) green tripe, eggs, and venison!

Pippa

7. simon406

simon406 Registered Users

i give mcRae my 16mnth old black lab skinners field and trial maintainence and hes been on that since he was 9mnth i add a touch of pet mince in ,that i get from a farm shop and he loves it hes a nice build and his weight is steady and his coat looks lovely..i did have him on james well beloved but it was nearly £8 for a 2kg bag !! then when i started training him my gundog trainer who helps me train him suggested i tried skinners as he give his dogs it and i have seen some top breeders feed there dogs on it and it costs me £15.50 for a £15kg bag and it lasts me around a mnth so happy days :D :D

8. Sammie@labforumHQ

Hi Simon - do you find he eats more of the Skinners? Some of the expensive brands claim that they 'pack more nutrients in' so the dog will eat less and you will use it up more slowly. I have never tried really pricey dog kibble - but I have found this to be true to an extent with dry cat food.

Sam.

9. simon406

simon406 Registered Users

hi sam
    no i give him the same amount as i did with the more expensive kibble he seems content with his amount..i give him what guide lines skinners say for the weight of him and hes ok
    as i say his weight is constant ..thats all he gets no treats in the house only when hes out training..and that seems to of kerbed any begging when were eating etc
    when i first got him i give him bakers puppy for the first week and a few people told me it was the mcdonalds of dog food so i soon changed it but its hard to know whats best to give them and whats healthy on your pocket..as people have different ideas on whats good for a dog

10. Sammie@labforumHQ

Oh yes - no one can agree what's best! I think the important thing is to be sensible (nothing too exotic!) and then judge it on whether your dog is happy and healthy!

Sam.

11. trish

trish Registered Users

like the idea of raw foods but give small feeds of complete as well. our vet does not approve of raw foods for dogs so i am not entirely lying if i name a brand if we visit the vet. she has commented on how clean her teeth are however. three years old and never needed scaling.

12. patricia t

patricia t Registered Users

hi, we're on Hills Science Advanced Fitness - My dog (Frankie aged 20 months) has been on Hills puppy and then adult since we got him at 8 weeks. I'm really pleased with it, but I know our trainer thought it too high in protein. He also get a whole raw egg most days as a treat.

13. pippa@labforumHQ

Hi Patricia

Welcome to the forum

Lucky Frankie! My dogs absolutely love raw eggs :) We have seven bantams, and they lay eggs in bursts - a week with no eggs at all, then a week with seven eggs a day!. When they are laying we can't eat them all so the dogs get to share

Pippa

14. staeningas

staeningas Registered Users

::)I don't understand why, if someone thinks their cheap dog food is so good, do they then add rubbish pet mince to it? or if a food is already high in protein, why would you want to add more protein in the form of an egg? I have used the same food for about 16 years - TechniCal. It's a complete food made of entirely natural ingredients. the main source of protein is chicken meat, no soya. the cheaper brands use soya and say animal derivitives(rubbish). It contains tomato as a natural antioxident ( help prevent cancer) and rosemary and yucca. My pregnant bitches have it with no supplements, my puppies are weaned onto it and if staying with me will have it the rest of their life. I have recently tried Fish4dogs but they prefered TechniCal after a while and one of mine I put onto Hills JD and he won't eat it, he wants his TCal. It's not the most expensive but it's not cheap either but even my 40kg dogs only have a mugful twice a day and they poo much less because they are using all of the food, it's not packed with fillers and flavour enhancers and no artificial colours or preservatives. My dogs work hard and play hard and are in superb condition.

15. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

I give Barney Natural Instinct - it's a complete raw food gets delivered frozen and a meaty bone twice a week. When I first got him he had awful IBS which is ironic as I'm a Nutritional therapist and treat this all the time in humans. I tried all versions of good quality dry food with B but nothing helped until I went raw. he finally managed to gain weight and his coat went from merely shiny to glossier than I thought possible on a lab. His teeth are very white and clean and his breath is clean too. :)

16. Sammie@labforumHQ

Carole I like the Natural Instinct website - thanks for the reccy - others I've found like this tend to require you to buy in bigger bulk than that, which is a nuisance when you only have one dog.

Sam

17. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

You're welcome Sam, I've always found them to provide excellent service too - in some really difficult conditions with deliveries last winter so I'm happy to recommend them.

18. Sammie@labforumHQ

Thanks Carole, that's good to know :)

19. Spirestorm

Spirestorm Registered Users

Hi, I give my two labs a complete dry food called Simpsons....I was originally advised to get Skinners, but can't get anyone local to stock it, so hence the Simpsons.

I always get 2 X 15kg bags so both dogs don't get bored with one flavour. They are currently on lamb in a morning and salmon in an evening.

Storm my Chocolate lab had a skin complaint so we decided to try a gluten/wheat free food, for him, and as we have two dogs they both went onto it...since he's been on this, we haven't seen the complaint flare up, so fingers crossed. It seems to suit both dogs. They are both very different sized labs, and we seem to have managed to maintain them both @ optimum weights for their size, but taking into account they are both different strains of the breed..

Cost for the two bags is around £55, and we pick up from a local pet shop roughly every 6 weeks. :)

20. pippa@labforumHQ

I am a bit out of touch as I don't buy dry dog food, but that sounds like good value for two dogs. I find on the whole that my labs are what my OH calls 'good doers'. They put on weight quite easily on fairly small amount of food, whereas spaniels tend to take a lot more feeding.

Pippa