What have you trained so far?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deb - Archie's Human, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Deb - Archie's Human

Deb - Archie's Human Registered Users

Hi everyone,

Archie's growing like a bad weed. He's about 4 1/2 months now. He's got "sit," "stay," and "come" more or less down, depending on distractions ;)

He's big enough that I want to add "down" for the sanity of all, but he just doesn't seem to get it! What do (or did) your pup know at this age?

Thanks in advance for all the info you share!

2. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Corona is exactly the same age and she knows "sit", "down", "stay", "come", "leave it", "drop it", "pow (play dead), "pillow", "kennel", "go get it", "touch", "paw", "no bite", "gentle", "up", "off", "out", "go around", "crawl". I thinks that's it for now. Keep in mind that some of these are very strong while others still need a lot of proofing. We work on them a bit a couple of times a day. I'm currently working on quiet for her barking. May have to teach her bark also to reinforce the quiet, we'll see. We did attend an obedience class for 5 weeks, that really helps too! They are little sponges and learn quite quickly. Lots of fantastic you-tube videos out there too!

3. Jonathan Wang

Jonathan Wang Registered Users

WHen Kibs was 4.5 months he knew "sit" "down" "up" "come" "wait" "fetch" "Hand" "give me 5 10" "speak" and "quiet", at 5 months I started training him in scent detection which is a good brain workout for him. His no bite command was useless so I changed it to lick and its been better. Lately though quiet never works unless theres some sort of food involved.

4. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

Basics like his name, come, sit, down, jump, roll over, paw, high five, of course poo and pee, side, heel at that age. Working on leave it, stay, and wait right now, still not consistent. Was also working on potty bell before with a clicker but kinda forgone it, and restarted again today. He picked it up so much quicker than when I was initially training him a month ago. Working on a settle while laying on me. He would squirm and bite before, now he can lay down limp on me for almost a minute.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

To teach 'down' have the treat between your fingers, lure them down then say the word and feed - keep feeding little treats then - before they get up say 'upsit' and give the 'sit' sign. They always want to get up but will then be doing it on command and you can slowly expect a longer down.

:)

6. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Well, Molly's got me very well trained in 'chasing the ball' for her, also 'running around hiding things' for her to find. She's also got a pretty good line in 'Tasty treat time, I'm being good' ;)

Rosie likes this.
  7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Pongo is three years old.

He has got me well trained to give him treats for sit, lie down, wait / stay, "walk along" (an agility plank or tree trunk), "go go go" (over a jump), "tunnel" (run through a tunnel), "right" and "left" spins, "check" (run away round and object and come back to me), "find it" (anything), "calm puppy" (stay quiet and don't go nuts at that car/horse/human going past).

We are still working on "Pongo, Come!".
    It usually turns into "Pongocomehereyoulittles*dnonottherenoNOTtherecomebackherenowohforpityssakealrightigiveupsorryeveryonesorrysorrysorry."

drjs@5, Jenn K., Debs and 9 others like this.
  8. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Well some of the 4-5 month olds are putting us to shame! At almost 7 months we have sit, down, stay, off, come, drop, gentle, find, wipe. I must try harder!

:cwl:

Deb - Archie's Human likes this.
  9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Betsy has almost no cues at all. She has behaviours which are nearly good enough to put on my final cues.

10. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Duggan ( at 6 months ) knows sit, stay, go pee, go poo, ah(for no dont touch or not yours) down, off, out, easy( for wait when we fetch) go (for fetch), drop and a whistle or a hand signal for come( his come cue has been ruined several times) he responds better to hand signals and body language way better than vocal commands. Sometimes I stand behind my friends when they try to talk to him and use hand signals to get him to do what they want without then knowing. Now like others, he hasn't been proofed for all of these but we constantly try. As soon as you get lazy for a moment they seem to forget very quickly.

xxryu139xx likes this.
  11. knees78

knees78 Registered Users

We are 5 months and have settle, stay, down, leave, touch, spin, floor, go pee, drop, come, gentle, heel

Some are still work in progress, for example she'll only do spin when I have a treat in my hand and I'm not sure how to increase the length of settle at the moment she'all only sit there for a minute or so in practice.

12. Jenn K.

Jenn K. Registered Users

Hi!!
    Cally is 4 months, almost (2 more days), she knows "sit" "outside/potty" - she will run and sit by the door and wait for us to get coats on, etc. to take her out... "inside" - when we are out and need to go back in :)
    "release" for getting things out of her mouth and "off" - four paws on the ground, "settle down" - when barking in her kennel, and we are still working on "no biting" although she is getting better. And I also trained her for her walk "leash" she stays still until the leash is on or off and "paws" to clean off her paws when we come inside after a muddy or snowy walk. She also does "lay down" depending on the distractions and she always expects a treat for that one. ;) She knows her name, will come when she is called, comes to my husband's whistle and will come to my kissing sound.

Question for anyone who lists this...when you train your puppy "pooh" or "pee" do they actually go to the bathroom on command...or...is it something else? I wouldn't think you could train a dog that way. Sometimes though I do find myself redirecting Cally when we are outside and she wants to run back inside, I say "no, we are outside for you to pee/poop!" It’s about a 50/50 shot if she will then.

Thanks!

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I don't train for poos, but do for a wee. I say "wee wees" and they'll immediately start sniffing for somewhere to go. They don't go if they really don't need to (I know some dogs fake it!) but they usually do.

Jenn K. likes this.
  14. Deb - Archie's Human

Yikes! I had best up Archie's training. These other pups are putting us to shame!

Thanks for sharing. Now I have some goals to set!

charlie likes this.
  15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Here we are working on the 'down' :)

Mrmurphy33 and xxryu139xx like this.
  16. Jenn K.

Jenn K. Registered Users

Y
    You know after writing my original post on this thread my husband reminded me that everyone's definition of a puppy really "knowing" a command is different. Our puppy knows all of the commands for sure but we do have some trouble with distractions, like being outside v. inside.

We are working on walking without pulling the lead and that is HARD. Cally gets outside and is distracted by everything! We live on a busy street so there are cars and trucks making a lot of noise as they go by and then the neighbors have a giant dog that scares her when it barks and she wants to run inside. Yikes! We are working on socialization too.

I try to reinforce training every day. She gets so tired though. Our dog trainer told us five minutes, 3-4 times a day with new things because they get tired.

Oh, also she really has learned to use her blanket as a mat just in the last week. It is as if a switch was flipped and now she would like to sleep there at night too. She cries when we put her in the crate because she wants her blanket. The trainer told us it is not safe for her to have her blanket in the kennel with her though. I really appreciate that she finally has found a mat/place/blanket that works for her! She settles down more easily now.

Small victory. I love my puppy. (Sorry for being ridiculously sappy!)

edzbird likes this.
  17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

This is very, very true. There is a definition though. When something is 'on cue' then:

• The dog always performs the behavior when you give your cue
    • The dog does not perform a different behavior in response to that cue
    • The dog does not perform the behavior in the absence of the cue
    • The dog does not perform the behavior in response to a different cue

I came across someone the other day who said "Fido's recall is brilliant in every way - apart from when he is chasing something".

:D:D:D

Jenn K. and Dexter like this.
  18. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

6 months she knows sit, drop (doesnt like drop will do it but you have to be there and tell her to stay there or she pops rightback up) , heel, stand, working on her learning left (its a very handy word over time), back, stay works for about 8 seconds, come (in relation to the obedience puppy stay then come exercise), look, no, good girl, her name, our other dogs name, show me, inside, outside, rollover when I need to access her belly for treatment or at vet , leave it etc

But being a puppy its all a work in progress and most are best achieved with food reward. Will see how well she goes when we resume after 10 days at the weekend with walking as its a bit hard to do anything while she has the cone of shame on especially as she cant go on walks aside from just within sight of the house and Im not having her drop on the ground out there til shes healed up.

19. Ziggys mum

Ziggys mum Registered Users

Per on command is a must for us..we do a lot of caravan holidays, long drives and Ziggy will come with us. At 4 months he will pee or poo when i take him outside and say Pee time. Same command for pee or poo. Sir down and a strong Get down work. D ifference between kiss and abite coming along nicely.

20. Deb - Archie's Human

Mollie is doing a great job there!!

I really should have worked harder on this sooner! We are struggling with the "down" command. I show him the treat, drop my hand down from his head to the floor and then straight away from him, but he just doesn't lie down. He will bat my hand with his paws, sniff like mad, but he will not lie down...no matter how long I try to wait him out! We will keep working at it.