Where does your puppy sleep at night?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jeanine, Jan 6, 2017.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd beg, borrow or buy a very large crate and put her and her pillow in it! :)

Helen1977 and jeanine like this.
  2. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

I wonder if it would be any better if I brought the 42" crate up to the bedroom from downstairs. If it worked, I would definitely buy a second permanent crate for the bedroom. I would crate her downstairs except I have teenagers who come and go at different times of the night and early morning for school and work. It does get chilly in our room, down to around 66F. Hubby thinks it's because she gets cold??

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It depends on how good her crate training is, I suppose. If she fusses and whines in her crate you wouldn't be much better off. If she is quiet in her crate, I'd just crate her.

Or just crate her downstairs and tell your teenagers to ignore her!

That's about 19C? With a good mat or bed, that's not cold for a Labrador.

4. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Probably because she's learned that if she does it enough times, she gets her way. My fault entirely :eek:

Welcome to my style of dog training.

jeanine likes this.
  5. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Ah that's the worst! Hopefully it gets better if you are consistent for a couple of nights. Is she allowed on your bed (or any people beds) during the day to play or anything?

6. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Yes, she's been allowed on my daughters bed, and she's been on my son's bed a couple of times. Never on my bed during the day. I get where you are going with this... no beds at all. Ever. Oh boy, this is gonna be a fight with my daughter. She sure does loves Netflix and her Corona cuddles!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That's not necessary at all. Dogs are very good at context indeed much better at context then they are at generalising! Most of the things our dogs learn they learn in a specific context. It's perfectly possible to train that a dog is allowed on one bed and not another. Or not on the bed with the cues of 'nighttime'.

You just have to be absolutely consistent but consistent within a certain context is fine.

8. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I agree with Julie T - Tatze is allowed on one chair in the kitchen and one sofa in the lounge, she knows which ones and never tries to go on the wrong ones.

Mollie is allowed on no furniture and will soon stop trying to get on, we just consistently bring her off and distract her. She rarely tries at all now. You just need to be more determined than they are :)

9. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

Oh good to know! My daughter will be very grateful to hear this! Come to think of it, Corona is only allowed on the sofa and not the 2 side chairs. She never even tries to get on those anymore. Thanks!:)

10. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

At one years old H stopped going into his cage at night (his choice), so he slept in the kitchen, then at 2 years old he stopped wanting to sleep in the kitchen, he started getting anxious at bed time and resuming to go to the kitchen at night, during the day and waiting for his dog sitter he was fine. So for a while he was up with us on our bed but I didn't get much sleep. We got him a comfy bed which is next to ours and he sleeps there, mostly. He knows that he has to go to his bed, and will stay there until the morning. Occatinally he will sneak up but knows the routine and commands "off" and "go to bed"

Homers bed has got bolsters on three sides for him to lean up against and snuggle into. When he's on the sofa he'll snuggle up into the corner, and if on the bed with us will lie up against us. Maybe a bed with soft sides that she can snuggle into will suit Corona better than a flat pillow?

11. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

What a coincidence that you mention the pillow with bolsters. We just ordered her one from Mammoth pillows here in canada last night. Should arrive in a few days. We noticed those things about how Corona sleeps also. Last night was a bit better but we are hoping that the new dog bed will be the turning point!

12. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

So last night was a slight improvement from the first night. Straight to sleep until almost 3am. She only tried to jump up once, but then went back to sleep until almost 5. And again 5:20 when I finally brought her out for a pee and a poo. She was pretty persistent about getting on the bed for a a minute after that, then resorted to whimpering on and off until 6:45. I ignored her completely. There was actually quiet moments at times. At least she wasn't trying to jump up! That's an improvement right? Ordered a new dog bed with bolsters, should arrive in a few days, hoping that will also help.

13. Cherry

Cherry Registered Users

Sleep deprivation is the worst, I went through years with my youngest daughter. Molly sleeps downstairs and is sometimes disturbed by myself or my teenager coming in at night. She does usually get up now she's not crated for a little play but settles again once we go to bed. I think when she was in hee crate we would ignore her and she was fine. Sounds like last night was a little better though. Good luck. Also can you nap during the day? (people always asked me that with the baby but I'm not a napper. Some friends swear by napping though!)

14. jeanine

jeanine Registered Users

I do sometimes sneak a nap in although it's never longer than 20 minutes. If it wasn't for that, I think I would have rehomed Corona a long time ago! :confused:

DebzC and Cherry like this.