Yorkshire Walks.....

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Dexter, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi everyone....

I've alluded to the fact that Dexter will be spending 2 months in the UK this Summer in other threads .We will be staying just outside Harrogate and I've ordered a couple of books (well 5!) to help me plan some of the lovely green,cool walks we have dreamt about these last few hot Dubai Summers.I'm married to a 'local' but he won't be with me for most of this time and we have some dog owning friends but without being disrespectful I don't think most of them will be as committed to dog walking as I am!
    I'd love to have some recommendations form any members that walk around the area we will be visiting...doesn't have to be on the doorstep,I'm happy to travel....
    I'm also going to be looking into some training opportunities....optimistic I know ,but I'd love to try him out at some proper Agility lessons and even if I'm brave enough some Gundog lessons!So again if you have any recommendations that could save me a bit of the slog in the research stage I'd be really grateful
    Thankyou in advance....after a few bumps in the planning I'm starting to feel excited although a bit apprehensive (mainly about the flight::(:) and the farm animals and wildlife!
    X

kateincornwall likes this.
  2. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

It's so exciting, Angela! I can't wait to hear all your adventures this summer...I hope you are prepared to take lots of pics!! :) Don't blame you being worried about the flight, I would be too, but hopefully he will sleep through it all and be ready for his grand adventures when you land. How long a flight is it?

3. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Would York be too far away? I think Philipa Williams is in the area and she is excellent, does gundog and used to do and still may do, agility.

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

As @Stacia says Philippa Williams is near York so around 30-40 minutes from Harrogate, so if you want to try some gun doggery you couldn't get much better

http://www.castlemansgundogs.co.uk/

Can't help much on walks as I haven't been to that part of Yorkshire, we've holidayed previously in N Yorks on the edge of the moors and visited Dalbey Forest several times. I'm within around 1:30 from Harrogate though if you get bored and want to meet up for a walk

5. Dexter

The flight is 7.5 hours Lisa .....he has to be there 3 hours before,if I use an agent they would like to have him overnight the night before especially as we will travel on a Friday ...that is like a Sunday here...so staffing isn't the same.That won't happen though,I'll be taking him there myself exactly 3 hours before ! My best friend's husband is an Emirates Captain so he is very kindly going to request the flight ( not a guarantee he will get it ) then he will know exactly when Dexter leaves the cargo terminal and is loaded.....my major fear is him sitting on the Tarmac in his box ....
    I was going to go on the same flight but I've been told that while it's quite straightforward it's a bit of a run around the airport offices getting stamps and approvals for an animal exit and I might be be pushed to get over to the passenger terminal in time ...so I will follow him on the next flight 4 hours later....it will take him that long to be processed in Manchester anyway... Chris is travelling the day before ,to get Dexter's toys set up,his bed ready,his bowls out ( only joking! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:) no seriously just to be there ready for when he is processed ,that takes about 4 hours as Dexter is vet checked,washed and then unleashed on the unsuspecting UK public!

I'm getting him accustomed to his travel box....it currently has pride of place in my lounge and he is very happy to find regular rainfalls of treats and the odd cocktail sausage in there as he goes about his day ......
    I've already been in touch with Phillipa Williams ,Thankyou Stacia and Rosemary ...I'm hoping to get some dates confirmed now that we are definately travelling. It would be lovey to have a walk with you Rosemary and any of the Local Forum members ..
    image.jpeg

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Wow, and I thought travelling with the dogs on the Eurotunnel was an ordeal!*

I can't imagine how stressed I would be about the whole thing, but then, I despise flying anyway. I hope it all goes completely uneventfully for you all!

*This is a lie, it's remarkably easy, but that doesn't sound quite as dramatic.

Dexter likes this.
  7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Ooooooo - Not that far from us! We are just over the border and would love to meet up! There's a fabulous Penine way walk we could go on.

:D

Dexter likes this.
  8. Boogie

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  9. Dexter

Love to Mags....we will be just outside Harrogate...would love to see Tatze and do you think you would still have Twiglet? :heart::heart:

10. Boogie

Twiglet is off to Big School on the 23rd June :(

But I am forming an Idea and looking for dog friendly places to stay near Harrogate ...

Dexter likes this.
  11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

It's a shame you are staying so far away. It would of been wonderful to have you join the South West walkies group!
    I'm sure you will love walking in the vast countryside:)

Hollysdad and Dexter like this.
  12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Aw how lovely Angela, bet you can't wait to have some cool green grass under your feet with a touch of sheep poo!! Don't forget to leave your flip flops in Dubai and buy some WELLIE'S :D:D It's a pitty we are so far away as I would love to go for a walk with you and Dexter. Enjoy yourself. xxx

drjs@5 and MaccieD like this.
  13. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Ooh just seen this thread. I am just outside Harrogate can give you a list of our local haunts. It's lab central round here. They are the most common breed. Also most welcome everywhere. Where exactly will you be ? I will send you a list of the most beautiful walks on our doorstep. How exciting Emma and Meg

Dexter likes this.
  14. Edp

Edp Registered Users

We walk this at least weekly and I run it at least weekly. It's totally beautiful and we are sooo lucky to have it on our doorstep. You will meet many labs here....maybe Meg needs a play date ??

15. Edp

Edp Registered Users

We walk this at least weekly and I run it at least weekly. It's totally beautiful and we are sooo lucky to have it on our doorstep. You will meet many labs here....maybe Meg needs a play date ??

16. Dexter

Sorry I missed this as I was in my phone last night...I'll add this to the to Walk Dossier! Just to add you've brought music to my ears about the absence of wildlife.....

Emma ,it would be lovely to meet you and Meg....we are staying at Rudding Park ( we got married there! ) It would be so lovely to meet and walk with all of you on the wonderful walks you've shared and I've enjoyed enviously from the sand .....hopefully if this trip does well it will be something we start to do regularly from a more permanent base so visits around the country would be doable xxx

Edp likes this.
  17. Boogie

It's not absent, it just keeps away from the well walked paths :)

Dexter likes this.
  18. Dexter

So talking to my SIL this morning who is here on her hollibobs....she works at Fountains Abbey

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fountains-abbey-and-studley-royal-water-garden

Has anyone been,it looks and sounds lovely.

She lives on the Estate and has a key to the back gate where no other dogs go,but......there is an area where there are lots of rabbits,squirrels and wait for it .....deer.6 months ago I would have been quaking at the thought but now I'm quite excited to use this to practice....I can never see me stopping a chase but at least if I can get to a point where he doesn't completely lose his marbles and will listen to me,I'll consider that a victory!

drjs@5 and Naya like this.
  19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Ooo Angela , how exciting/scary all rolled into one but mostly exciting :) We brought four dogs and a very cross cat back from France to the UK when we came back home after ten years , we elected to take the night crossing from Roscoff to Plymouth , the dogs ( and caged even angrier cat )had to stay in our car, it was a total of 10 hours, but they were fine , just a bit wired when we set them free ;) What a beautiful part of the country you are staying in , its truly gorgeous but sadly couldn't be further from Cornwall :( You will all have a wonderful time I`m sure x

Dexter likes this.
  20. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Oh how exciting, I'm sure the flight will be fine. My brothers two dogs managed really well from England to New Zealand, no bad effects what so ever.
    Sorry I can't offer any advice on walks, Harrogate is about 3 hours from me. I'm looking forward to the photos. :)

Dexter likes this.