10 month old Lab Poo solid at first but then not

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Dimitri, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Dimitri

Dimitri Registered Users

Morning everone, I'm worried about our 10month old labrador River. She's been recovering super well from surgery three weeks ago (she swallowed something that ended up stuck in her stomach). However since the last few days her stool has gone back from solid to being runny.

We decided three days ago to give her a fast day for 24 hours and put her on chicken and rice. Just small strips of cooked chicken and whole grain rice. Yesterday we thought we'd turned the corner but this morning her poo is still anything but solid.

I don't know if there's anything else I can try. Is it possible she's having an allergy to the poultry? or the rice?

On top of that, she's also scratching herself a lot. She was given a bath yesterday with special anti itch shampoo, the house gets hoovered every day. AND then as I say she's on rice and chicken only since the last few days, so it really does not make any sense.

I've been visiting the vets more the last few weeks then I've seen inlaws. I'm literally at my wits end.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That’s no good to hear. How terribly frustrating. An allergy does sound possible, given the itching on top of the poo symptoms. Chicken can unfortunately be a culprit when it comes to food allergies.

Dimitri likes this.
  3. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Yes this is possible. My 18 month old used to get diarrhoea if she had anything with chicken in. I still haven’t been brave enough to try her with chicken. Turkey is fine though - Hills i/d canned food plus Pro kolin used to sort it out.

Dimitri likes this.
  4. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

Maybe try some fish instead of chicken?
    My lot are fine on fish if they get diarrhoea.

Dimitri likes this.
  5. Dimitri

Dimitri Registered Users

Thank you all for the replies and this suggestion, Aitch, i think we'll try this option.

It's been so incredibly frustrating. She's fine otherwise. She's always her playful self, always ready to play (I sometimes wish I could take the batteries out of her, she's got so much energy).

Re: the scratching, we went out for a walk this morning and when we got back I washed her ears, paws and other areas where she usually scratches with a damp cloth and the itch shampoo. So far, she's not been itching, so I'm hoping that perhaps the itching is unrelated to the runny stools.

Keep you all posted.

6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users