10 month old puppy growls and nips

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Francesca McCulloch, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Francesca McCulloch

Francesca McCulloch Registered Users

Hi,

My 10 month old puppy is great. he's not overly affectionate to people, he doesn't really like snuggling or licking but he definitely loves being near us, playing and being petted. He, in fact, gets very anxious when one of us is out of the picture.

He, however, gets very growly when he has something he's worried could be taken away as well as if being told to do something he doesn't want to do, like get off a seat, move over under the table so we can put our feet down. A few times it has resulted in him snapping and nipping in a more aggressive way, thankfully not actually biting anyone.

Although he mostly loves treats, he doesn't really care about them enough to think they are better than what he is guarding (we tried while he was eating his kibble).

We usually know how to handle it at home, my kids just leave him be and we try and tell him no, but it becomes a lot harder when guests are around as he comes across as an aggressive dog and we have to take him in another room, which makes us all sad as he loves being around the action.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi Francesca

Based on your description you have a dog with

1. Separation anxiety
    2. Resource guarding issues.

In addition, you don't seem to be able to get your dog to be motivated by force free methods.

Trying to diagnose all of these issues over the internet is fraught with serious problems.

May I suggest you seek the services of a force-free dog behaviourist. The individual will observe and evaluate your dog and your current training methods. And then offer you some individual mentoring, and a training plan.

Let us know how you get on.

3. Francesca McCulloch

Francesca McCulloch Registered Users

Thank you Michael.
    I agree with your description. We have started giving him hemp chews to help with the anxiety as it was affecting his stomach as well, and it seems to be helping as far as the stomach issues.
    I will follow up with a behaviorist as I do believe we need to get this taken care of before it digresses.

4. SRW

SRW Registered Users

Trying to tell a dog something won't work. Teach the command, praise good behavior, correct bad behavior.

5. vremlh

vremlh Registered Users

I will follow up with a behaviorist as I do believe we need to get this taken care of before it digresses.

6. vremlh

vremlh Registered Users

snaptube vidmate