10 week old puppy biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MagsKO, Sep 18, 2018.

1. MagsKO

MagsKO Registered Users

Hello everyone!
    We collected our lab puppy about a week ago. He’s 10 weeks old and has settled in pretty well.
    Over the past four or five days he has become quite snappy, and biting quite hard at times. But from what I’ve read this is normal.
    At these times I’ve been giving him something he is allowed to chew. Like a carrot, yakkers or toy. Sometimes it seems like he want to use his back teeth to chew and he wants me to hold whatever he’s chewing up so he can get the right angle.
    Now, on to my question! Is it ok to pet and stroke him during these times or am I reinforcing his more aggressive behaviour.
    Thank you

2. Joy

Joy Registered Users

It's definitely ok to stroke your puppy while he's chewing on something you're holding. It helps to teach him that your hands are kind and that it's good to bring things to you. Because the touch is being associated with something he finds pleasant (chewing) he will eventually enjoy the touch in its own right.
    When she was a puppy my dog Molly used to insist I held one end of her chew by pushing it at me - I thought it was so funny- and she has a very gentle mouth as an adult.

3. tom@labforumHQ

tom@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Mags, congratulations on your new pup :) welcome to the forum!

MagsKO likes this.
  4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Hi and welcome!

This isn't really aggressive behaviour, he is probably just playbiting your hand. It is totally fine to hold the chew whilst he chews it, as long as he seems comfortable with that..... If he gets bitey on your hand, just offer a tuggy toy and teach him to play tug with that rather than with your skin... :)

JuliePenguin likes this.
  5. MagsKO

MagsKO Registered Users

Thank you so much for your reply. It’s nice to know that I’m doing the right thing. He’s our first dog, and I’m a little worried about doing it ‘wrong’ and ruining him!

Hi Jo. You’re right, I wouldn’t call it aggressive. And I think it is just in play, but it hurts when he won’t let go or just tries to go for another part of me. Those little teeth are very sharp!
    I have been playing tug too: gently holding on to it rather than trying to get it away and be the ‘winner’, so that I’m still playing with him.

Thank you all again for your replies.

Joy likes this.
  6. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Right, so just tell yourself: When the mouth is full with a toy, it can't be full with your hand ;)

Any time the hand is in the mouth, pick up a toy and get the mouth on that instead! Which also has the side effect of teaching your pup to enjoy tug and developing a bond between you which you can use for training, later. :)