10 week puppy fearful of visitors and retreating to the crate sometimes growling

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by leroy, Nov 10, 2017.

1. leroy

leroy Registered Users

Hi ,
    This is my first post . I am getting worried about my lab puppy - we picked him up last week at 9 weeks old and he is now 10 weeks . He seems settled with us and first visitors in the first few days he was a little nervous but let them stroke him . However the last few days anyone that has come round , he has been really nervous and retreats to his crate growling and wont come out . I have just taken him to the pet shop to get used to more people and everyone I meet says gosh he is nervous isnt he and thats not normal for a puppy . I have two children and am getting really concerned about this as so many articles say this is abnormal for puppies to retreat and growl at visitors . Does anyone have any advice ?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum.

He does sound as if he's scared, poor little love. A couple of questions; where did he come from? What sort of environment has he lived in up until now? Do you know the breeder? What sort of dogs are the parents - do they work, are they pets? Have you met them both? What are their temperaments like? Do you know if any of the other puppies from the litter are the same? How old are your children? How often and how do they interact with him?

If he's scared, I wouldn't force him into any situations that could make him worse. I'm sure you're already doing this, but ensure that he sees his crate as his "safe place", where no-one ever goes into, tries to get him out of if he doesn't want to etc.

I'd be having a frank discussion with the breeder, to ask if s/he has any ideas abut why your puppy has such a nervous temperament. I have two nervous dogs, which I put down to their breeding, and it can be seriously hard work. If your breeder puts your mind at rest, then I'd definitely be investing in some sessions with a behaviourist (who uses only positive methods) as soon as possible - within the next few days. If this isn't possible, I'm afraid I would look at returning the puppy to the breeder.

Pilatelover likes this.
  3. Tracey D

Tracey D Registered Users

maybe once he is fully immunised you can let him meet another friendly trustworthy dog and that might help him get over some of his shyness. Pups at that age like plenty of sleep so really important that he isn't being handled too much, especially by children.