10 wk old lab puppy just home and we have a 2yr old lab..house training tips

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Blondie21, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Blondie21

Blondie21 Registered Users

We have just bought a 10wk old puppy home, and both the puppy and the older dog have got on really well.
    Our older dog (2yrs) has been crated but recently we took it away. However, the puppy has been crated at its breeders so he has happily gone to bed in his crate tonight. So we have decided to bring our older dogs crate back as we are hoping that we can utilise this for training the puppy, especially if I need to get up in the night. But again I've been told by the breeder that the puppy has been sleeping through from last wee at 9pm. I think it's a bit long so tonight last wee was at 11pm and I'm thinking of trial and error leaving him till 6am.

Does anyone have any house training tips for a 10wk old puppy and having an older dog?

2. Athena

Athena Registered Users

Congrats. We adopted 9 wk old Maggie when Johnny was 2.
    If you're using the older dog's crate, do you have a divider to make it smaller? You don't want the pup to be able to wander over to the corner to pee or pooh. Or maybe buy a smaller crate? We got ours secondhand on Craigslist.

I'd take the breeder's remarks with a grain of salt because he's adjusting to a new environment, so definitely trial and hopefully not too much error.
    Not sure if this is relevant to you but even as a tiny puppy Maggie was very bold. When Johnny ate she would go right between his front legs and help eat his dinner. So I fed them in separate rooms (duh I'm so silly). I also tried to give each dog individual attention - wasn't always perfect but keeping this in mind was helpful.

3. Blondie21

Blondie21 Registered Users

Aww thanks Toby is 2yr and Alfie is 10wks , well it was successful, he had his last wee around 11pm, then woke at 6am for the day and this has been for the past 2 nights so i will take that!

Both dogs have their own crates to allow me to separate them as they would just play all the time and the puppy needs the down time. I am just in the madness of house training Alfie, he is doing well so far only 3 accidents at home. I have learnt to keep Toby and let only Alfie out at times to do his business as there are less distractions. Yes Alfie is very bold and bossy especially when sharing toys! I feed them both in the same room but apart and Toby is good at waiting and not stealing Alfie's food :)

Thanks for the tip, there is not much out there to give tips on potty training a pup when an older dog is around etc...its good to get tips from others who have been there.

Alfie is only allowed in the kitchen (which is pretty big) but Toby is allowed everywhere as he is trusted.

I just want to master the potty and everything else is working progress