11 week old lab crying when i leave

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by jacquelina, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

No @Harley Quinn, they are not new. Sky doesn’t chew the purple ones. Her kibble is only lightly soaked so the kibble falls out quickly when she tosses them about (very funny to witness :rolleyes:). Red does chew and I check each one after use. If there is damage I throw away and replace. I have probably spent a small fortune in the past on kongs but they both get so much pleasure from them - I view it as enrichment for them.

Like @Plum's mum says, @jacquelina - Red couldn’t manage a frozen one when tiny - I can’t remember her exact age when she started having these but I bought the small cylindrical shaped kongs with ridges in them and put the wet food in the spaces so she could lick them.

2. jacquelina

jacquelina Registered Users

I bought 2 today I filled the small one with wet food, so far so good it kept him occupied for at least 20mins there was some at the bottom though and I have a bigger one with I am going to fill will kibble, going to do it tomorrow and give him the 2. I hope it helps.

drjs@5 and selina27 like this.
  3. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

@jacquelina something that happened to Harley when she was little was that she would force her lower jaw into the Kong to get at the bottom bits. And then her jaw would get stuck. Normally she would get her jaw out before we reached her but it did happen a few times that she needed help and cried. So please see what your pup's habits are. When I discussed it with our trainer she was said it was unusual.

4. jacquelina

thanks Harley quinn I will do that I will give the small one and wait till am home to see what the big one is like, its all trial and error at this stage but most of all I want him safe and happy.

selina27 likes this.
  5. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

I can also vouch for kongs. Our pup used to cry when we left in the morning but now he gets so excited because he gets a frozen Kong. He also doesn't notice us leaving. He is alone for 30-40mins until his daycare mum arrives.

jacquelina likes this.
  6. jacquelina

he seem to be ok so far when I give him the kongs then close the door I look through the window and see his is busy with them I don't know what he is like when finished by am usually away 2 half hours at the most so hopefully each day gets better when he knows am coming back