11 week old puppy running and jumping on sofa even when people sitting on them!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jane Rogers, Jun 8, 2017.

1. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Oh that's wonderful, does Rosemary read the Forum at all? :)

2. David

David Registered Users

Yes I was smart enough to clear the evidence! ;)

Fortunately R does not read the forum as far as I know. :eek:

selina27 likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The most dangerous words ever uttered.

David likes this.
  4. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

5. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

We have a Coolaroo raised bed in the garden for Bailey - he loves it! We were given it second hand when we first got him, and 19 months later have just put a new cover. The bed was about 2 years old when we were given it. Bailey's favourite game is to stand on the bed, roll a ball underneath it and then jump up and down with his front paws until it comes out the other side :)

SwampDonkey, edzbird and Plum's mum like this.
  6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

That's a video I'd love to see. Sounds like great fun!

7. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

Harley is allowed on the bed in the bedroom but not on any other furniture in the house but there is a caveat to this, because there are times where she asks to get up and will then sit on top of us, or sleep on top of DH. She does this on the bed too, and we have allowed it since a pup. She doesn't lay on top of me, because it hurts. We have been consistent with not allowing her on the furniture and she has been great about it. But boy oh boy, she is on the bed all the time. But again, there is a routine. Up to bed time, if she is in the house she can be on the bed as much as she wants. When we come to bed, she will be cued and treated to go to her bed, next to the bed, and she will sleep there until about 5 in the morning. Then she goes out for a wee and gets on the bed for a cuddle hour before we get up for work. Again, we are consistent and she responds beautifully.

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My Labs (one now deceased) have never tried to get on the sofa or my bed! I have had 5 German Pointers and all of them jumped on sofa and bed automatically, so it cannot have anything to do with how I train :D The GSPs eventually learnt to only go on the sofa in the evenings when I put a cover on it. Actually, I do miss having a cuddle on a sofa with a dog, but OH wouldn't be pleased now with his leather sofas!

selina27 likes this.
  9. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

I will get one for you - it is funny!

edzbird likes this.
  10. Peartree

Peartree Registered Users

We have very complicated sofa rules for our dogs that they follow amazingly well. They live in the conservatory where there is a sofa, a pouffe and a hi k9 bed. The dogs are allowed on any or all of these.

Leading off the conservatory is a tv room where the dogs are allowed only when we are watching tv and they are allowed to sit on the sofa only when there is a person there with them.

There is also smart sitting room with cream sofas where the dogs are only allowed when invited. They are never allowed on the sofas in the sitting room and have their own fur cushions to sit on.

They seem to be able to follow all of this without any trouble. The door to the tv room is often open but I have never caught them in there. i think this has worked because we have gradually allowed them more access to the house and been very clear about our rules, and of course, because our dogs are super smart. ;)

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Being clear and consistent - that's the key. Sounds like you have done a good job of that, Peartree.

12. Peartree

Peartree Registered Users

Thank you! It's amazing what you can achieve with treats and kindness :)

Oberon likes this.
  13. Tank the Destroyer

Tank the Destroyer Registered Users

Ha! When I was a child, our dog wasn't allowed on the furniture, but she always went on the couch when we weren't home. As she got older she developed arthritis and struggled to get off the couch quickly enough to avoid getting caught. I was probably 15 years old or so and would run into the family room ahead of my parents so I could pick her up and put her on the floor!

When I was really young she would eat my green beans for me :p.

Jazzmynn, snowbunny, Cath and 7 others like this.
  14. Cath

Cath Registered Users

One good turn deserves another :D

Tank the Destroyer likes this.