12 yr old lab not well and barking constantly

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Siobhan Brennan, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Siobhan Brennan

Siobhan Brennan Registered Users

Our 12 year old labrador has been barking and crying day and night for the past 2 days now. As soon as it started we knew she herself so we brought her straight to the Vet. He said it was arthritis pain so he prescribed her previcox and gave her an injection yesterday afternoon in the surgery as well. He said to give her a previcox when she was getting her dinner at 5, so we did. She was still crying and barking and in a lot of pain yesterday at 8pm so we called the Vet again and the on call Vet said to give her another previcox, which we did. She is still persistently barking and crying and very uncomfortable. She barked all through the night and seems to be finding hard to get comfortable. Any one have a similar experience that eventually settled down? Not sure what to do with her or how to help her. She's not happy!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi @Siobhan Brennan and welcome to the forum.
    Sorry to hear your dog isn't happy.
    Previcox is an anti-inflammatory and may take a few days to really kick in, but it sounds like the injection did nothing either?
    Is she eating/peeing/pooing ok?
    I would certainly be seeing the vet again tomorrow if I were you.
    If she is in pain and not settling a call to your vet tonight might be worthwhile - is there a reason for her arthritis to have suddenly flare up?
    I would always say that if you were worried you should give the vet a call for advice.
    jac

3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I have never known of any of my own dogs, or my friends' dogs, or read or heard of, barking in pain. Looking miserable, whining, whimpering, restless, not wanting to move but not barking. One horrible time screaming. Yes, I'd be seeing the Vet, at least calling.

Has anyone else known a dog to bark, all night, from pain?

4. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Not bark no. But like you said restless and whining and trying to curl up inside me to get as close to me as possible for comfort, yes. Poor pups

I would go back to the vet like suggested, poor girl. I hope she feels better soon!

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Fingers crossed the vet can help make your dog comfortable, it's terribly distressing to see them in obvious pain and be unable to help.

6. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Really hope she's more settled now.

She sounds upset and agitated about something, just a thought that may be way off the mark, but due to her age is it possible she's suddenly lost her hearing or sight and is finding the world a suddenly scary place?

Snowshoe likes this.
  7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Siobhan,welcome to the Forum,I was just checking in to see if she is any more comfortable now ? Very distressing for you to see her so troubled I am sure x

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yep, we had it with one of our labs, Tramdol did the trick for us. We tried previcox but it was not enough. loss of hearing( when they loose their hearing they can hear strange things) or sight can be a problem too. dogs do get dementia to a friend had a goldie who howled at the walls especially at night, this does sound like pain is she panting a lot?

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am so sorry that your dog is in such pain, it must be very distressing for you. I have never known a dog with arthritis to be in such severe pain that it cried day and night. I would think there is something else wrong, a trapped nerve? Or even something more sinister, so I would take the dog back to the vet, or even ask for a referral for a second opinion. I had a dog crippled with arthritis and she never cried like that.