13yr old lab

Discussion in 'Senior Labradors' started by Bentley13, May 28, 2020.

1. Bentley13

Bentley13 Registered Users

Our beautiful boy is 13.5 yrs - he has arthritis in his back legs. He really struggles both going to lie down and getting up again. His walks are now 10 mins and he struggles at the end but is very excited to go out! He’s started barking for no reason and wanders around the house so we think he may have some dementia. 18 months ago he had some teeth out and I can see the rest are now in bad shape - he licks constantly. My young son today asked me if he would leVe us soon. How do we know? He is keen for his breakfast but now never asks for supper ( he has alwYs done until quite recently). He is the most gentle kind and handsome boy and our whole family adores him. Will I just know when the time is here?

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, it is not a easy stage of pet ownership. I think they do get dementia and can get quite confused. I don't think it is very clear cut when to make that decision but talk to your vet. Focus on what the quality of life is like for him, not the feelings you all have about loosing him. Be honest with your son, kids cope better when you are truthful. Sounds like his time is soon, our thoughts go out to you. We have been there, its tough.