14 Months ...both ACLs torn and Bulging Disk

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Tdub4, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Tdub4

Tdub4 Registered Users

Just a quick update....we hit the 2 week mark on Monday this week, so she "could" have the cone removed, however she is insistent on licking her front paw where the catheter was located. It is red there so, if we are not with her, the cone is on. She has adjusted well to the cone - which has made this much easier. Each time we would put it on, we would put a treat in our other hand and she would happily push her head through to the treat. So that has helped.

Went to the physical therapist yesterday and she suggested we start walking 5 minutes 2-3 every other day to start. She also provided some stretches we will be doing daily. Then in 2 more weeks we will take her to the PT office once a week for 30 minute sessions which, at some point, will include a water treadmill. We did go on our first walk this morning and when we got to our walkway up to the front door she laid down and refused to go on - it has nothing to do with her knees and everything about her telling me she doesn't want to go inside. It took a little prodding but she finally (very reluctantly) got up and came in.

So the journey continues....2.5 weeks down - 21.5 to go (recovery for this leg then surgery and recovery for the other).

Plum's mum and SwampDonkey like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh wow... a long and winding road to go. But you are fully determined to get there. We're all behind you, so come on here and keep us updated or use the forum as a place to moan or complain, if that helps.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Oh my , what a journey for you , but all sounding positive , good nursing helps so much x

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like it's going well. Once it's all done and healed she'll feel so much happier. It'll be worth it.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It will be so worth it in the end when you have your girl back fit and well. :) x

6. Granca

Granca Registered Users

It will be a long haul, but very worthwhile in the end (and all over by Christmas?!). The hydrotherapy should help - I think my collie cross had about 12 sessions on the treadmill. I hope she continues to make good progress. :)

7. Tdub4

Tdub4 Registered Users

Well, we have hit 7 weeks post-TPLO #1 today. She has been progressing well (to my untrained eye) and just wants to get up and go. Our walks have become a bit of a challenge because she wants to just go, go, go. So I have been timing it to take her on early morning and late evening walks to keep the excitement of other people/dogs, rabbits, squirrels, etc. around her to a minimum (although she always sees something imaginary in the distance and we have a stare off into the darkness for about 5 minutes). She also has perfected the art of laying down in the front yard when we to the house to show us that she is not ready to go in anytime soon - while funny, VERY frustrating when we are trying to get something done (or want to go to bed!).

The surgeon had indicated a 12 week recovery, however we are going in next Tuesday for an 8 week checkup to see where things stand and possibly go ahead with TPLO #2 on the other leg. I spoke with him on the phone and he was open to doing so provided the progression is where it needs to be. This will essentially cut 4 weeks off total recovery by doing it at 8 weeks. Additionally, due to schedules, we would have to wait until week 16 to schedule surgery #2 if we dont do it at 8 weeks, so that would just prolong things even more.

So hoping for a good report next Tuesday and moving on to the next phase of surgery/recovery soon.

Cath, Plum's mum and Granca like this.
  8. Oberon

Sounds really positive!!! You've obviously done a great job of helping her recovery along.

9. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good progress.
    Just bear in mind (depending on where you live), early mornings mean fresh wildlife and trails to explore.
    Used to work Lilly 8am in our local woods and the deer were rife.
    And 6.30am in the back field. Rabbits and pheasants galore.

Fingers crossed #2 earlier rather than later for you all

10. MF

MF Registered Users

So sorry you're going through this. My boy has (had) a bulging disc L7-S1 - at the pelvis, apparently a vulnerable area. The treatment generally is rest. So, hopefully with the limited exercise regarding the surgeries, her back has had a chance to heal as well.

11. Tdub4

Tdub4 Registered Users

Another update....we did go see the surgeon at Week 8 with the hopes that he would give her clearance for TPLO #2 that week as well. This would have set it up for her to be in final recovery from TPLO #1 and already starting to heal on #2.

While the report was positive on the healing of her first surgery, she was OVERLY excited (still a puppy) to see everyone at the office. With her "personality" showing, the surgeon said his concern would be that with 4 weeks to go to recover on the first leg, if she put too much weight on the repaired leg (#1), due to the second leg being fresh from surgery (#2), it could be an issue.

So....he suggested we wait the full 12 weeks (that will be a week from Monday...almost there!) and then schedule the second one. With some plans we have this summer, it looks like a mid-August appointment for #2. She has been doing well on walks and she started swimming this past weekend in the pool - which was the happiest we have seen her in a long time. So far so good.

12. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

That sound like a sensible plan , although maybe a little disappointing for you that you cant get cracking right now ! So lovely to read that she is doing so well and is happy x

13. Tdub4

Tdub4 Registered Users

Well, our pup finally had her second TPLO surgery yesterday and all went well. X-rays confirmed that the first leg has completely healed so we will pick her up in a couple of hours and are 12 weeks away from 2 "new" legs and a healthy pup - minus the disc issue :)

Cath, Emily_BabbelHund, MF and 2 others like this.
  14. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Good! It's the last lap now, albeit a long one. I hope her recovery goes well.

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ah, glad to hear from you! And happy to hear things are progressing well... Good luck for the next 12 weeks!

16. Oberon

Great job! Will be so good to have it all behind you. Hope the time goes fast.

17. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Good luck.

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Bet it feels like forever already.
    Clearly you are ding a good job.
    How are you all coping?

19. Tdub4

Tdub4 Registered Users

All, thanks for the positive notes and encouragement.

We picked her up and, unfortunately, she seems to be taking this one a bit harder than the first surgery. She was not as peppy when they brought her to us and she is putting zero weight on the leg (hopping on other 3). The first surgery she seemed a little more upbeat and would walk on it as soon as we left the surgical center. All part of the process though.

@drjr@5 - as far as how we are coping. I'll tell you in a week :) It was nice to have her healed up for a few weeks and playing and taking our walks in the morning and evening....but that will change now for a while. But, the way I am looking at it is we are over half way there. Considering this started in April and now we just need to get to late November, we can see some light at the end of the tunnel. Just hoping this one heals up like the first one.

I'll check in to let you know how its going and if anyone has any questions that I can answer on our experience that may help you, please let me know.

drjs@5, Karen and Granca like this.
  20. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I seemed to have missed this thread after the start but just wanted to send big get well soon wishes for Meadow's second surgery. Sounds like you and she made it through the first really well (with the understanding that it wasn't easy for either of you) and despite the less than peppy start, this one will also end up with a good result. You are in the home stretch!

And hope she is feeling better today and resting easy. :hug: