2 year old lab Play biting

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Mag44, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Mag44

Mag44 Registered Users

My almost 2 yr old BLM has recently started to try to playfully bite me when I pet him or scratch his ears. How do I get him to stop this? Like I said, it’s just playful biting and he isn’t being mean about it but I still don’t want him doing it.

2. Jade

Jade Registered Users

I'm sure you'll get a more professional answer but if it were me here's what I would do.
    When you pet him and he does that bitey thing immediately make a noise like ah ah and just walk away. That just tells him that the biting is not appropriate and he gets no attention for it.

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

@Jade the dog has to first understand what ah ah means unless one is saying it with a stentorian voice. You might be correct in your approach. If I were you @Mag44 I would first carry around a tug toy and redirect the dog's mouth to the tug toy. You can later use the tug toy as a reinforcer, It may be necessary to teach mine and yours game so that your dog will release the tug toy.

Jade likes this.
  4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @Mag44 as this is a new behaviour in a 2yr old dog I would be getting a vet check to make sure there is no problem with his ears. New behaviours don't appear without cause.

Without seeing the behaviour it's really not possible to say what is going on but I would avoid the petting/ear touch so your boy doesn't feel the need to put his teeth on your skin.

5. Jade

Jade Registered Users

I understand. That makes sense.. Thank you.