3 month old lab puppy ate an entire bully stick!! Need more lasting chew options!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Maisies_Mom, May 3, 2021 at 12:19 PM.

  1. Maisies_Mom

    Maisies_Mom Registered Users

    Joined:
    Monday
    Messages:
    2
    Our first bully stick (6") - thinking it was going to occupy her for days - disappeared within 20 minutes!! No choking at all but holy cow, I did not think she would go through it that fast. Does anyone else have a lab puppy that is a magician at making these chew things disappear?? Anything else puppy owners would suggest as an actual long-lasting chew??
     
  2. J.D

    J.D Supporting Member Forum Supporter

    Joined:
    May 9, 2019
    Messages:
    743
    Location:
    Hampshire UK
    I would avoid chews as they tend not to chew them properly before swallowing. Raw hide are worse as they don’t break down easily. I would use the black Kong filled with soft foods(can be frozen) a smear of peanut butter,banana etc
     
    Maisies_Mom likes this.
  3. ARW

    ARW Registered Users

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2021
    Messages:
    3
    I second the Kong suggestion. You can put a few pieces of kibble in first until your puppy figures it out. Then you can wet the kibble (count as a portion of her meal) and stuff the Kong. I usually put a smear of pb or a slice of banana to top it off and freeze. You can put a dollop of plain yogurt in there or blueberries. It’ll last a while in the beginning but now that Lucy’s a year old it doesn’t last very long ‍♀️
     
    Maisies_Mom likes this.
  4. Martha B

    Martha B Registered Users

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2021
    Messages:
    19
    My puppy swallowed a rolled rawhide the other night and I just about had a heart attack! She swallowed it at about 4 inches left to it. I guess all is fine as I took her to the vets and they said she is ok with no obstruction.
    I think she has pica!!
     
    Maisies_Mom likes this.

Share This Page