4 Month Old - Can I Start adding to her diet?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by farahmay, Mar 24, 2018.

1. farahmay

farahmay Registered Users

So I got my little girl 2 months ago, and I've been feeding her Royal Canine, large breed, junior. She's had tiny pieces of cooked chicken, and the odd apple slice here and there, but I haven't started adding anything to her actual meals yet.

When would be acceptable? I know many say you don't need anything along their dry food but I just wanted to see what people would say on here.

(Things I'd feed her: cooked chicken, cooked pumpkin, apples, some banana, some cooked beef)
    No spices or anything added, just cooked in plain water

All answers will mean a lot, suggestions on what else they can eat are welcome!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Right from puppies, dogs can be fed raw food - like a small chicken wing.
    I think I would say, just introduce one thing at a time, in small quantities, and avoid processed foods.
    My girl adores melon and banana. And cheese.
    I tend to give meat and fish raw, but obviously cooked is fine, but although I also give raw veg, I think the advice is to lightly cook it if being used as part of a raw/home cooked diet.

MF and farahmay like this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

My latest pup was fed a large array of stuff from day one at eight weeks. But she has a very strong constitution. Others are a bit less robust and need new foods introduced a bit more slowly, as they can cause tummy upsets.
    I used cooked pork and beef for training treats as well as cheese and turkey hotdogs.

My dogs are mainly fed fresh food at the moment; a mixture of cooked mince with lentils and vegetables (carrot, butternut squash, broccoli, aubergine, courgette, peas), raw sardines, tinned sardines, tinned tuna, raw chicken (carcasses, wings, thighs), raw ribs, raw eggs etc etc etc. They also like raw apple from time to time. I make my own training treats in a pyramid pan - either sardine or tuna flavour normally. I also cook liver and cut it into small chunks for training purposes.
    If I roast a chicken, I pull the cartilage off the bones and give them that.

Other training treats are kibble, cheese and ham, pouches of wet dog food for jackpots. Although, to be honest, the biggest jackpot for two out of three is the chase of a ball or pine cone.

farahmay likes this.
  4. farahmay

farahmay Registered Users

Thanks guys! I'm really glad to hear that, I'm a believer that no supplements or anything similar can repalce fruits & veggies :D

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, I do use salmon oil as a daily supplement. It helps keep their coats shiny and they love it :)

farahmay likes this.