4 Month old puppy won’t let us know when he needs to go outside anymore

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by MaryCatherine, Aug 12, 2018.

1. MaryCatherine

MaryCatherine Registered Users

Our sweet chocolate lab, Chewie, has started to not let us know when he needs to go outside like he used to. And now it has gotten worse by him having little accidents in the house while just walking around. He’s not even squatting. It’s like it just leaks out of him. He is only 4 months old, but he should be getting better about this not worse. It’s also not like we aren’t paying attention to how much water he has nor taking him out regularly. We are doing the best we can, but maybe there is something we should be doing differently? He is also great in his crate and can hold it through the night and the afternoons when we are at work. He only has a problem when he is out of his crate and inside the apartment. Please help!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, and welcome to our forum :) A step backwards in toilet training is very frustrating, but it's also very common and fixable, so try not to worry. A couple of things spring to mind from your post

and
    If a puppy is just leaking urine rather than purposefully squatting to pee it means either he is getting over excited, or he has a urinary infection. So a quick check up from the vet to exclude that (take a sample if you can!) is a good idea. If your puppy is leaking urine when excited this is normal for some young pups and should resolve as he matures.

Many young dogs don't actively ask to go out, and those that do can easily stop asking if their subtle signals are missed a few times. Until your dog is at least six months old it's usually better if you decide when they need to go out, and take them out at set intervals as well as after meals or when they are excited. Don't wait until he asks - I even set an alarm on my watch to remind me to take a puppy outside, as I tend to forget otherwise. :)

You may find this article helpful too: 15 Potty Training Problems Solved - Shout if you have any questions

3. MaryCatherine

MaryCatherine Registered Users

Thank you for your response Pippa! It’s like hearing from a distant friend that gave me so much advice while raising my lab puppy. Your book was my main source of help through those dark days!

And now you continue to guide me! Super helpful to be reminded that he is still a puppy even though he is getting so big quickly. It’s more excitement than anything, so we will get back in the habit of timing his water intakes. We will also take a look at the article you referenced. Thanks again!

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.