4 year old lab growls at bushes and scratches at dirt with back paws.

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Sarge Brown, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Sarge Brown

Sarge Brown Registered Users

He is a reactive boy particularly when on lead. While we have learned together how to redirect and self calm when other dogs are about I am at a complete loss how to stop the growling and scratching at the dirt. He will do this to bushes and “pit stops” in his regular route, but will also do it when in new spots as well. I initially give a light tug to his leash, with command “off”, and a reward when he obeys, but I often revert to pulling the leash and telling him “stop” when he is particularly fixated. Anyone else had this weird behavior with their pup?

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Mine does the scratching with back feet but it is connected with toilet stops. Wees and poos. Presumably a throw back to covering up evidence of being there.
    I don’t know about the growling at bushes unless he thinks there is another dog the other side? Hopefully someone else can advise.

3. Sarge Brown

Sarge Brown Registered Users

Thanks. Yes, his growling and scratching are associated with potty breaks. I was wondering if it is territorial or even a signal of dominance to whichever animal last left scent? Is it reinforcing his reactivity? He sounds grousing or complaining some times but other times it is full on growling at the bush as he sniffs before marking. And it happens so fast and he is so intent I am not sure how to correct the behavior.

4. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

I would avoid all the lead tugs, in particular, before giving any cue, and cues to stop. Lead tugs can raise arousal levels, which is the opposite of what you want. And correcting the dog before you've given any cue is not at all fair on the dog. Stop means what? Stop standing there? Stop growling? Stop looking? Stop is too vague to be useful. As you admit the dog does not understand what you want him to do.

I would not try to stop a dog from scratching the ground after urinating. What's the harm? And too much evolution to counter there.

As for growling at bushes, does he do that only when about to urinate? Or all bushes? I think you should film the interaction and try to determine whether you are inadvertently cueing the behaviour. Does he do it if off lead? Or only when you are holding the lead?

5. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Most of my boys, and some of my girls scratch after they have pee'd to spread their scent. It's natural dog behaviour. One of my stud dogs does it to visiting bitches. He thinks it makes him look sexy ;)