5 mo puppy peeing in the crate

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Marie, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Marie

Marie Registered Users

Hello - our 5 month old black lab girl (roughly 17kg/37lbs) wets her crate 1-2 times per week. She does not pee in the house when out of her crate and lasts through 8hrs at night just fine, but when we leave for 1.5hrs-2hrs she sometimes pees in her bed. We haven't left her alone longer than that yet.

I've been in the room with her a few times and haven't seen her move - rather she just lies there and then her whole flank is wet with urine. It's happened a few times when I've stepped out to get dressed/showered and when I've left the house, so I can't say for sure if she's gotten up then or not. We wash her blanket and clean her crate with pet deodorizer after each time.

She does drink a LOT of water (1-2 liters a day) and we've taken her to the vet, but at first glance the vet can't find anything wrong...is this normal? How do we stop her peeing in the crate? It doesn't happen every day and I've never noticed her dribbling/leaking while walking. What are we doing wrong?

2. Marie

Marie Registered Users

Don't see a way to edit this post, but her water intake is 3 bowls a day which equals closer to 1.75-2L.

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello it is usual behaviour, as you say it does not happen outside the crate which suggests she can hold on. So it sounds behavioral rather than medical. That said it does sound like she drinks quite a lot of water, but that's only compared to my dog. Why don't you keep a diary and see if you can identify anything particular that happens the days this happens, you might notice something that triggers it ?