5 month Choc Labrador Limping

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Lorraine Seale, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Good luck for today.

3. Lorraine Seale

Lorraine Seale Registered Users

We have him home :). He is in slight pain but they removed the bone in the elbow joint. He wanted to look at the second paw but he wants to wait to see how this goes......Too much trauma in one op. He is walking and no bandages!!
    Thanks for all your support. Mixed feelings still as he said we will have to monitor for arthritis in the future.....

QuinnM15, Granca and Karen like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So glad you have him home!!!

Lorraine Seale likes this.
  5. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Good to have him home! I hope all goes well.

6. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

@Lorraine Seale welcome to the forum. I really feel for you and your boy. Mabel was diagnosed at 5 months old with elbow Dysplasia (she is now 3 years old) and I honestly thought it was the end of the road. Oh how wrong was I, okay we have to monitor her walks, yes she is riddled with arthritis. I have learnt to manage her life so it is now full and varied. She has hydrotherapy and is on supplements, and she is on anti inflammatory medication for life. I’ve also found a really excellent vet which helps enormously.

If I had one little bit of advice to offer you, I would say take one day at a time during the recovery period and it’s perfectly natural to have a rant and a good cry.

I’d also add say every dog is different and just because I have a dog that is severe it doesn’t mean to say that your boy will be. Also other dog owners out and about often have misguided good advice I’ve learnt to smile through gritted teeth and walk on by.

Here is the link to Mabel’s story if you fancy a read :). I have written two threads on the subject, but this is the second one.

https://thelabradorforum.com/threads/poor-mabel-more-surgery-required.15063

Lorraine Seale and SwampDonkey like this.
  7. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Hope recovery goes well for your boy and you don't feel too stressed by it all.

8. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

So pleased you've got him home and surgery went well. Try not to worry about arthritis, focus on a good recovery :) . As @Pilatelover says, each dog is different but remember take one day at a time and we're here to help and support on the not so good days - and the good days as well of course :)

9. Lorraine Seale

So many people with such lovely words. He is still crying from the pain which is heart drenching. We have just given him a painkiller. I think after my son goes to bed tonight and I cuddle to Hunter the tears will fall. On the positive side the surgery went well and we love him to bits. We will take it day by day now and in true choc lab form he has just eaten his food with no problems!!
    Thanks again for all the kind words.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2018
  10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

The anaesthetic can make the behave strangely. Moo cried after the last op she had. she cried for a day and half. Your pup will he so pumped with pain relief he probably won't be feeling too much pain. It's really upsetting I know but your boys home and you can give him loads of cuddles.

Pilatelover likes this.
  11. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Tomorrow will probably be a much better day. The biggest problem will be ensuring that he doesn't rush around, jump, etc, until his recovery time is over once he's got over the anaesthetic. Crate rest (if the vet has mentioned it) can be hard, but it's well worth persevering and keeping him as calm as possible for the best outcome. The recovery period seems to take forever, but it's nothing in the grand scheme of things! Cuddles and food should keep him happy!

Pilatelover likes this.
  12. Lorraine Seale

Well it is quite hard keeping Hunter still. Cuddles and his Kong seem to help. I froze some stock and grated carrot in his Kong which he seems to love.
    He is sat in the sun now playing with the Kong. Onward and upwards! The op may have to be repeated for his left paw and he will have to be closely monitored for arthritis. Not the plan we had at such a young age but we now know what to do. We just love him to bits!!:)

selina27, Karen and SwampDonkey like this.
  13. Lorraine Seale

Unfortunately he is back under the knife tomorrow. It looks like he still has fluid in the right elbow and he is now limping quite bad on the left leg. Devastated and we also go back to the UK for a holiday in 2 weeks time. We wanted to introduce him to the wonders of the Lake District. Now he will be crate bound...again...on holiday.

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I am so, so sorry :(

15. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Oh no! So sorry to hear your news @Lorraine Seale . Will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending very best wishes for a good, positive outcome xx

16. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

Hope it goes well tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So sorry to hear he has to have a further operation. Hope all goes well x

18. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Deeply sorry to hear this...:(

19. Granca

Granca Registered Users

So sorry to hear that Hunter has to have another op. Hope all goes well tomorrow.

20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sorry to hear this I hope things go well tomorrow.