5 month old with severe diarrhea/vomiting

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Jessica89, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Jessica89

Jessica89 Registered Users

Good morning,

I am new to being a dog owner. I have a 5 month old chocolate lab, Presley, who for the last week has had diarrhea.

I got her in July and have always fed her Iams with 0 issues. She has always let me know when she needs to go out and use the restroom during the night.

Here lately for the past week she has been going to the bathroom in my room and it’s very bad diarrhea. Now she is vomiting and it too looks like diarrhea. I have called the vet with 0 assistance.

Can someone please help Presley and I?

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Hi Jessica,

Welcome to the forum but sorry to hear what is bringing you here. Poor Presley. :(

If she is losing that much fluid through vomiting and diarrhoea and it has been going on for more than a couple days, in your place I would take her to the vet immediately. She may need sub-Q fluids as well as IV medications to calm her stomach. She will likely need to not eat for several days to let her digestive system heal.

If it was only the first day she was ill, I'd respond differently, but a week is serious business. She may be dangerously dehydrated. If your vet refuses to see her immediately on an emergency basis even if you've already explained what is going on and how long it's been going on for, then find a vet who will.

I hope it all gets better quickly for Presley!

Jessica89 likes this.
  3. Jessica89

Jessica89 Registered Users

Thank you Emily. I most certainly will.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I would take her to the Vet right away. If your first Vet was no help I'd find a different Vet. The Vet will probably want a stool sample. A fresh as possible one in a sterile container, you only need a bit, maybe a tablespoon.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, get to the vet - pups dehydrate really quickly at this age xx

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I hope you've managed to see a vet and they've been able to help. Please do let us know how Presley is.