5am alarm clock

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Debs, May 7, 2014.

1. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Lack of sleep due to my 5am alarm clock, aka Maisie! I am doing the right thing:

Maise (9 weeks) goes out for her last wee at about 10pm and then sleeps til 5am, wakes up whining as she is so desperate to go out, but won't settle again. So the day is starting very early and I'm begining to feel wrecked! Would it be better to wake her at say 3am, and then she may sleep until 6 or 7am?

Sorry is this question has been asked before (I have a feeling it may have, but my brain is fried ???

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: 5am alarm clock

I would take her out an hour later if it were me , waking her at 3 would set a pattern that could be very hard to break , so if you could let her out at say 10.45-11 p.m. that would be better :)

3. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thanks, Katie, I'll give it ago! When she wakes at 5am she is so hyper, probably pleased to see someone after 7 hours!, I can't get her to settle again and she just cries etc til I come back down. This morning I let her out at 5 and put her back, she cried til 5.45 and then was quiet til 6am, BUT, she was crazy and took ages to come back down from biting, snapping,etc!

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

She will gradually wake later and later, I found it was just the first week/ten days that mine got me up that early. It is a nice time of the day to sit in your nightie in the garden listening to the birds while they have a wee ;D I never put them back to bed, just got on with the day.

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Stacia, the birds are lovely that time of the morning! I hadn't realised how noisy it was outside first this in the morning!! ;D
    The slightly annoying this is that all Miasie wants is a cuddle and to fall asleep next to me, once she has settled down from her 5am wee!

6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I wouldn't wake her in the night either. I'm sure Stacia is right and she'll soon start to wake later. I know you have young children. Is there any time you can fit in a daytime nap, just to tide you over?

7. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Good suggestion Joy, I could have a nap, but napping has a horrible effect on me and makes me feel really grotty! I've been trying to just sit and watch TV and switch off! Oh well, I know these days will pass and I must stop fussing about it! ;)

8. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Yep, really good advice, definately dont get up at 3am, at least its a good time of year to be getting up early, and at night its a lot lighter outside and a lot less cold, hope you get your relaxation time in, XX

9. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Oh, the joys of what is to come! You'll be all sorted by the time I am just starting. I am so used to my ancient cat waking me at 5 that I hope I can cope with the pup.
    Tiredness is like torture though, so you have my sympathy. I guess we just have to hang on to the thought that it won't last forever - will it? ???

10. Aburns

Aburns Registered Users

Debs, I don't mean to hijack but your 9 week old pup sleeps straight through till 5 am? Wow, that makes me hopeful that I won't be needing to wake up 2 times a night! If you don't mind, how did you eventually get to that stretch of time? My girl is 8 weeks today, so I'm worrying about the nighttime wake ups. My husband works in camp and I'm on my own with my two kids(the youngest still wakes throughout the night).

11. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Ashley, I'm not sure how sleeping through the night happened! One morning I woke up and shot out of bed in a panic because it was 5am and I thought something must have happened to her - I was so tired I hadn't heard my alarm!! I stuck religiously to going outside every hour during the day and then several times during the night. Only one accident in the crate! You sound pretty busy, hopefully your pup will start to sleep longer.

Jane - I really hope there is light at the end of the tunnel! By the time you are doing the night time trips I'll be onto the next dilemma!! ;)

12. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I say Debs ::) (with a false posh accent!), how about some photos to show her off???

13. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Oh ya Jane (in posh Southern accent!), here you go!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Ah what a cutie pie!
    I am in two minds wether to wake during the night or just face the chaos in the mornings when we get our pup?
    Our breeder said we should do the latter just extending the time day by day but I am a bit of a soft touch!

15. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Thank you, she is very pretty, with a naughty glint in her eye!! :D
    Maisie was pretty regular in her waking times to start with, so even if I wanted to wake her she usually beat me to it! They learn so quickly to wrap you round their cute little paws!

16. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Obhhhh she is adorable!!!

I know others are advising not to start getting up in the night with her but I just thought I'd drop in my experience as that's what we did with Penny.

Like you we took her out for last wee aar 10pm and put her to bed. Then we got up at one for a wee and straight back to bed, no fuss or anything no matter how hyper or clingy she was. Then I would be up at about 5:30 for the morning.
    Every third night I would get up half an hour later so she was gradually going longer over night. When it got to the point that I was getting up at 4am and then 6am I stopped getting up altogether and then had no issues.

So it can be done, if this is an option you want to explore.

17. Naya

Naya Registered Users

She is adorable :)
    Personally I didn't set any alarms and let Harley wake me. We would wake her for a final wee around 11.30pm-12am. In the night I would wait a few mins for her to be quiet before going downstairs. Quick wee, back in crate and left her. The first few weeks she woke me once a night and would be up around 6.30-7am. After this she ended upstairs with us (poorly chest was my excuse ;) ). As soon as she was upstairs with us she slept initially from 12am-7am without waking (approx 12 weeks old), now at 9 months she sleeps 10.30/11pm- 7am, has breakfast then straight back to bed til about 9.30-10am. On weekends she often won't wake up til after 9.30-10am :)

18. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Perfect little puppy :) :)

19. karen reid

karen reid Registered Users

Why would you complain about getting up at 5 am and seeing this wee cutie pie, she is gorgeous :)

Murphy is 17 weeks old today. We initially had his crate in our room when we got him at 8 weeks until he was 15 weeks (he's now in crate in kitchen). We take him out for his last pee at 12 am and he sleeps basically until we get up - half 7 in the week and about half 8 at weekend. I would rather leave his last going out as late as possible (we are late to bed folk anyway) and have a longer lie in. Really she's sleeping the same amount of time as Murphy but just the other way around!!! What a clever girl for 9 weeks xx

20. Aburns

Aburns Registered Users

Debs, Maisie is just precious! That last photo, be still my heart! Perfect example of puppy dog eyes.

I don't mind getting up in the middle of the night for a potty break, but Id also love not having too. Although for success in potty training Id rather put in the effort and lack of sleep just incase. What's a few more months of sleep deprivation ;) Sounds like Maisie is a darling, but 5 am wake ups would have me singing right along with the birds!