6 month old female help!!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Dayna, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Dayna

Dayna Registered Users

Where do I start lol so I have a female she is six months almost seven now.she is has said to be part lab part pit, but I believe she is more lab .she digs holes all the time out side .if she is left indoors unsupervised she will find anything to chew on even get on the bookshelf and tear up books . I am the only female in the house besides her .she doesnt listen to me not as well as my bf though she nips at me ALOT MORE than my bf .she more pushy with me and snarls at me and not him at all pretty much .she is already 50 pounds so this is becoming a problem .she kept jumping on us last night we both kept telling her down put her down ..she eventually nipped at my nose and made me bleed a little .I am at my end of the rope please help .and might I add again she only acts like this with me only .

2. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

She is a puppy, she is getting bigger and stronger and her play is getting bigger and stronger. Everything you describe is normal puppy behaviour. I would NEVER leave a six month old puppy unsupervised, inside or out, for longer than 30 seconds. LOL, they are just awful, horrible, little devils wrapped in cuteness.

ARe you doing training classes with her? Not only do they teach YOU how to train but they tend to help form a bond. Since you are one having the most trouble (might mean she sees you as being the most fun :) ) you should do the classes. Maybe the BF too as I note this:
    Sounds to me like she does not understand DOWN at all and by repeating it while she is jumping effectively you are telling her the word for jumping is down. In class you will learn, give the command once. REalize a 6 month old puppy cannot hold a down even for the 30 seconds at first so a time out might be better in such a case.

How much exercise does she get and what is it? Exercise and training go hand in hand, thinking is very tiring to puppies, us too. ;)

Stacia likes this.
  3. Dayna

Dayna Registered Users

She does go down when my bf tells her to of course she doesn't stay down ....we let her out side to play and sometimes walks .

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Dayna, welcome to the forum - 6 month old puppies can be SO much hard work.
    Its the puppy brain in an adult body that is often the issue.

Can you tell us a little more about your routines?
    Who is in the house, who does the training.......do you use a crate or pen.
    What are her sleep patterns like? Is she toilet trained ok?
    Also and importantly, what kind of exercise does she have - how long and when and what do you do?

Sorry if this seems like a lot of questions, but some of them may help us with what you need to concentrate on.

There is a helpful guide on jumping up on the website, I wonder if you have seen it?
    Worth a look if not.
    Here is a link to it http://www.thelabradorsite.com/no-more-jumping-up/

jac

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome Dayna, from Hattie 9 years and our rescue boy Charlie 6 years. I have nothing to add only we have ALL been there and it's tough. Jac's questions really will help us all to help you :) x

6. Dayna

Dayna Registered Users

Hello thank you for responding and no not many questions at all .so it's my boyfriend our son he is two years old.and my self we live in a two bedroom town home we have a little back yard for our dog sage . My bf sleep down stairs and my son and I sleep upstairs in his room .we do not have a chat or pen she basically is downstairs with us during the day or if we are upstairs she follows .I guess the majority of exercise she gets is out side in the back yard. She is house trained she cam hold it in at night time if she has to but I usually let her out at least once at night .I guess they do have more of a bond with her than I do I am not much of a dog person I'm sure that might be an issue ,but hoping to change that .her eating habits are at least three cups a day .she does get way super excited when people come over to the point we have to put her outside as being she is so strong and weighs 50 pounds .she has not had her distemper shit yet though.

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

The problem is if Sage is only getting to exercise in your little yard it's not enough, she needs to go for a couple of walks a day so she is frustrated, under exercised and bored. Could you do several sessions of training with her throughout the day e.g. sit, down, paw do some retrieving with her, get her to play some hunt the kibble games with you, get some dog toys for her. You could also clicker train her NOT to jump up at people, lots of information on the forum to help you with this. You could train her to ignore people with LAT training. There is so much you can train your dog to do that is results in positive behaviour trained in a positive way. You will see the difference but don't forget she is still a puppy even at 50 pounds. Hope that helps a little :) x

drjs@5 and Stacia like this.