6 Month Old Lab Napping

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by paulij, Aug 29, 2019.

1. paulij

paulij Registered Users

I have an 6 month old black lab, have only had him one week, great dog, but he doesn't sleep that much during the day! I'm kinda surprised about that. I was hoping for more napping, just to get breaks!! He does sleep thru night in his crate, never hear a peep out of him.....so I'm lucky there. I thought pups sleep more during the day.....any thoughts on this?

2. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum!

Your Lab is new to your home and probably not fully relaxed yet. When he feels settled in I'm sure he will start to nap during the day :)

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @paulij
    I agree with Lucy. But if you want to encourage some naps during the day, then I would start teaching him something that requires some mental effort. Shaping is mentally demanding for dog and handler. Retrieve is ideal. Plenty of opportunity for bonding. Mentally challenging and thereby nap inducing. Even so, I wouldn't expect a six month old Lab to have extended naps during the day.

4. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

I got my dog at 6 months and he certainly didn't do any daytime sleeping. I remember checking the carbon monoxide detector in a panic the first time he fell asleep with me in the room.

HollyBerry likes this.