61 years old and my first puppy - any advice welcomed

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Doug56, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Oh, cuddle cuddle cuddle! My boy Pongo is not a cuddly pup, and it is the one thing I miss. If I try to give him a cuddle he looks at me like a teenage boy being kissed by his mother....

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Just to clarify something I wasn't sure about.... the "5 minute rule" doesn't include time he can spend galloping around on his own; I think it is more about exercise on-lead or on hard surfaces.

kateincornwall likes this.
  3. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

And welcome to the forum! As you'll have figured out by now, we have all been through the "difficult" puppy times (including the "oh my lord, what have I done, I've made a huge mistake" times), so we sympathise completely. Please come here with any questions, problems, or frustrations.... I have found it a marvellous place to share all the good times and bad.

selina27 likes this.
  4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my 4 year old girl, Harley.
    Personally I love cuddles and Harley sleeps on our bed. In the mornings, Harley lies across my legs with her head on my lap until I have to get ready for work.

5. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Hi and welcome from Finn (4) and me! Finn is our third lab.

I was wondering if it was possible for you to join puppy class. You will learn lots of things and so does George!

6. zarathu

zarathu Guest

I’m 68. I’m starting on my fifth dog, my fourth puppy, and my third labrador, though the first Chocolate(the others were black and yellow). I would suggest that while your puppy’s behavior can be typical, it may be more typical of a puppy that is not getting the guidance he could get from you. I would strongly recommend crate training. My last 3 labs crate trained to house training in 2 weeks, and all of them were almost accident free by 3 months. I would strongly recommend two books: 1. TRAINING THE BEST DOG EVER by Dawn Sylvia-Stasiewicz & Larry Kay; and (2) THE PUPPY WHISPERER by Paul Owens and Terence Cranendonk. If you follow the procedures in both books, you will find that some of the wild behavior drops back a lot.